Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He wouldn't have liked Injustice Year 4 .
    Didn't the gods spend most of their page time clobbering anyone who went up against them?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Great, now I'm imagining a universe where Diana was sculpted from poop. Thanks for nothing.

Anyway, I don't mind Fourth World characters like Darkseid being portrayed as superior to the Greek Pantheon. The Fourth World characters are the New Gods, the next generation of Gods and they're also more cosmic in nature while the Greeks Gods are mostly earth bound. Even Greek mythology exists in cycles with Uranus being castrated by Cronus who in turn was overthrown by Zeus.
    Yet and still they should get a win over the Fourth World once in a while through cunning if not raw power. Darkseid has demolished Olympus countless times as well as Themyscira. Ever since Amazons Attack I've wanted a decisive victory, no before that, when Byrne had Darkseid kill half the Amazons. Every time they interact Wonder Woman's side fails.

Heck there are still transformed Amazon Parademons from Robinson's run no one ever talks bout.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-23-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Zeus's thunder bolts in greek mythology can destroy universes.
    Many gods in greek mythology are beaten by mere mortals.

Personally? I don't mind the Greek Gods (or most Earth-bound gods, as long as they're active in the story) not being all-powerful. If anything, Wonder Woman herself should be able to surpass them, both in terms of in-universe feats as well as in terms of character.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post

Personally? I don't mind the Greek Gods (or most Earth-bound gods, as long as they're active in the story) not being all-powerful. If anything, Wonder Woman herself should be able to surpass them, both in terms of in-universe feats as well as in terms of character.
    She should be able to surpass the very people that gifted her, her powers?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Also Zeus and Athena never got Cliff Chiang redesigns and Hera looked quite human in his interpretation so there's not really a base for them.
    Cliff Chiang Zeus was younger with black hair in Greek dreadlocks and his Athena was a humanoid owl.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yet and still they should get a win over the Fourth World once in a while through cunning if not raw power. Darkseid has demolished Olympus countless times as well as Themyscira. Ever since Amazons Attack I've wanted a decisive victory, no before that, when Byrne had Darkseid kill half the Amazons. Every time they interact Wonder Woman's side fails.

Heck there are still transformed Amazon Parademons from Robinson's run no one ever talks bout.
    Just like Bruno...we dont talk about Robinson.

By cunning and outsmarting them, usually to the god's own hubris not with strength or power. I never said they were unbeatable.

There are at most two exceptions to Diana being weaker than the gods. Heracles and Hermes. Even then, Heracles is most times labeled a demigod. Hermes has out raced the flash on a few occasions.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Phil Jimenez talked about this in some interviews on Historia where he doesn't like seeing the Greek Gods fight with characters like Superman since he think it underserves them and as a result also underserves the Amazons.
    Its stuff like this that reminds me how this should be basic worldbuilding thoughts in other writer's heads when dealing with Diana's universe, but you know... "Superman punching Apollo who is literally the SUN and among other titles a God of Prophesy/Wisdom sounds so cool you guys!!!!"

Its stuff like this that reminds me how this should be basic worldbuilding thoughts in other writer's heads when dealing with Diana's universe, but you know... "Superman punching Apollo who is literally the SUN and among other titles a God of Prophesy/Wisdom sounds so cool you guys!!!!"
    Are you saying there should be some kind of editorial consideration taken, by writers, when handling WW's origin. If that's so, I think I'd have to agree with you.

It'd be like superherheroes in the Marvel Universe started walking off gamma ray blasts, lke the kind that created the Incredible Hulk, to the chest. Daredevil flips into an Avengers adventure, where the Leader shoots him in the chest, and he just laughs it off and kicks him in that big, bell pepper head of his.

It would change the way we regard the power of the power of the Hulk, as compared to other strength-oriented characters. Maybe, Daredevil could take him; he just took a gamma ray blasts to the chest.

Why shouldn't fans think Wonder Woman can't be so powerful, when Superman - famously vulnerable to magic Superman - can stroll into Olympus and show Zeus and Apollo, the door? If the source-fount of some of Earth's most powerful magic has no hold on Superman, Supergirl or Krypto, ..what good is Wonder Woman, against Power Girl or any Kryptonian?

I'm still of the opinion Superman shouldn't have made such easy work of Apollo, and Teenseid sure as hell shouldn't have been allowed to kill zeus
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-24-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Yeah, goes back to stuff like DC higher ups when writing the League wanting Diana to be only be The Best Fighter (on the ground only) so as to not upset Superman and Batman as being the strongest or smartest.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She should be able to surpass the very people that gifted her, her powers?
    Why not? Diana's gifts should be just that, gifts. Things that can be honed and improved upon and aren't dependent on whoever gave them to you.

The gods (well, I prefer when it's godesses, but my point works even in the Daddy Zeus retcon) in this scenario are (sometimes metaphorically, sometimes literally) her parents, but shouldn't be her source of strength, Diana's powers should be ultimately hers and hers alone and she should be able to bring them to a level where she's surpassed what came before.

Why not? Diana's gifts should be just that, gifts. Things that can be honed and improved upon and aren't dependent on whoever gave them to you.

The gods (well, I prefer when it's godesses, but my point works even in the Daddy Zeus retcon) in this scenario are (sometimes metaphorically, sometimes literally) her parents, but shouldn't be her source of strength, Diana's powers should be ultimately hers and hers alone and she should be able to bring them to a level where she's surpassed what came before.
    If we are going with an "Old King Thor" type future where Diana is the new lord of Olympus and has a new line up of Gods both old and new as part of her pantheon way in the future, then sure I'd be down for that. But not in current time or even a bit into her career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Are you saying there should be some kind of editorial consideration taken, by writers, when handling WW's origin. If that's so, I think I'd have to agree with you.

It'd be like superherheroes in the Marvel Universe started walking off gamma ray blasts, lke the kind that created the Incredible Hulk, to the chest. Daredevil flips into an Avengers adventure, where the Leader shoots him in the chest, and he just laughs it off and kicks him in that big, bell pepper head of his.

It would change the way we regard the power of the power of the Hulk, as compared to other strength-oriented characters. Maybe, Daredevil could take him; he just took a gamma ray blasts to the chest.

Why shouldn't fans think Wonder Woman can't be so powerful, when Superman - famously vulnerable to magic Superman - can stroll into Olympus and show Zeus and Apollo, the door? If the source-fount of some of Earth's most powerful magic has no hold on Superman, Supergirl or Krypto, ..what good is Wonder Woman, against Power Girl or any Kryptonian?

I'm still of the opinion Superman shouldn't have made such easy work of Apollo, and Teenseid sure as hell shouldn't have been allowed to kill zeus
    It should have been Diana, Darkseid coming in and saying that Diana is the most powerful person he can think of to drain in order to return to true form would have been epic. And Diana might have been relevant in Robinson's run. Darkseid could've ended Jason too.

Interview with Caitlin Yarsky, the artist of Olympus Rebirth
    Although she does not talk about this issue in particular, it is interesting to know about her art and work for those who are interested.
    She also says that Olympus R. is her debut in DC Comics.

https://fanboyfactor.com/2022/08/an-...aitlin-yarsky/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Surprise Hippolyta series is surprising. And I guess using the Greek Gods so Diana doesn't have to deal with them .

It's nice that death isn't precluding more Hippolyta content at least. I wonder if they'll acknowledge her "relationship" with Zeus in this.
    My hope is such tripe just goes away entirely and is never mentioned again. And the last thing I want to see is some reality TV style mess between Hera and Hippolyte. This could potentially be very GOOD or it could be POOP. My hope is for good