Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Who needs to be Queen when you can literally be worshiped as a Goddess...

YESSS! Not even death can stop our Queen!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know you guys hate the Azz run but man I’m so happy they seem to be keeping the Chiang designs for the gods, they’re so much better than “dudes in togas”. Glad they’re continuing to push WW and giving Hippolyta something to do.
    The art and character designs were never the problem with the Azz run. :P

And I say this as someone who thinks that run was the single worst thing to happen to WW.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I love this and I had a feeling this was all building up to something! It's seriously amazing that DC is focusing so much on building out this world. Really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out and I'm curious about who's clued in on it (obviously Artemis knew and I assume Philippus was clued in, but was Diana?).

And between this and Historia, it's truly the year of Hippolyta. Love that while the rest of DC is all about legacy right now this offers some respect for an elder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    They've kept some of them. Last time I think we saw most of them in Cloonan/Conrad's run it was a mix of togas (Zeus and Hera) and Chiang's designs (Hades and Hephaestus), Ares was a in generic black version of Perez armor from JL #75 I think.

Wouldn't be surprised if some get another redeco if the solicit is hyping the artist.
    This is probably unintentional but that's kinda consistent with Rucka's post-Crisis interpretation of the gods. With that it sort of made more sense because Zeus was a hardcore traditionalist who recognized that modernization was shifting power away from him and toward Athena and Ares, but maybe there's something to it. Also Zeus and Athena never got Cliff Chiang redesigns and Hera looked quite human in his interpretation so there's not really a base for them.

But yeah, on another note, I think everyone agrees that the problem with n52 was Azz - Cliff Chiang's art and his redesigns of the gods were fantastic. His take is second to only Historia IMO (and asking any artist to take on Phil Jimenez's designs for anything other than a prestige book is...a lot).

This looks good, but Trial made me question WW’s editorial ability to deliver on big concepts like these. Hopefully we get the Cloonrad from their first WW arc and not the Trial ones.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This is an unexpected surprise. I'm glad to see that Hippolyta will still have adventures and not just be pushing up daisies. I'm interested to find out what her new powers will be.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

It looks cool that Hyppolyta gets this opportunity. Hoping that everything turns out to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Surprise Hippolyta series is surprising.
    It's not a series. See that One-Shot text where the character logo would normally be?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This is probably unintentional but that's kinda consistent with Rucka's post-Crisis interpretation of the gods. With that it sort of made more sense because Zeus was a hardcore traditionalist who recognized that modernization was shifting power away from him and toward Athena and Ares, but maybe there's something to it. Also Zeus and Athena never got Cliff Chiang redesigns and Hera looked quite human in his interpretation so there's not really a base for them.

But yeah, on another note, I think everyone agrees that the problem with n52 was Azz - Cliff Chiang's art and his redesigns of the gods were fantastic. His take is second to only Historia IMO (and asking any artist to take on Phil Jimenez's designs for anything other than a prestige book is...a lot).
    Yeah, guess it's too soon for the god designs from Historia to make their way in to continuity, lol..

2022 is the year of Hippolyta it seems.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Incredible Member

Love the designs of the gods.The last time we saw the gods all of them returned to their Post-Crisis designs except Hephaestus ( I don't mind his New 52 look because he was described as disfigured or "ugly" in the myths by the other gods) and Apollo. The only design I want to see is Apollo. I hated Apollo's New 52 design. He looked like a dark statue with no emotions. I hope they changed him back to this Post-Crisis design. I find it weird that they changed Artemis back to her Post Crisis design, but not Apollo because they are twins.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    YESSS! Not even death can stop our Queen!

The art and character designs were never the problem with the Azz run. :P

And I say this as someone who thinks that run was the single worst thing to happen to WW.
    Art and character designs were A+, Plot and Characters/ Character 'Development'(actually derailment) were an F-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    2022 is the year of Hippolyta it seems.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they thought of this also as way to build synergy as well. Like, to keep people "in the mood" and have the character on a similar spotlight while the next Historia chapter comes out.

Extraordinary Member

One more variant by Lee Weeks:

Last edited by Hypo; 05-20-2022 at 07:10 AM.

Amazing Member

I am so excited about this. Is this a ONE SHOT or an ongoing series?