Default wonderverse aliens and space exploration

I've always been a proponent of the idea that Diana is between to great genres of storytelling; the first is obviously the Greek epic and the second is SYFY adventures. She is after all He-man and She-ra before the two even were a thought. A powerful god-like being fighting forces of evil with magic and highly advance technology. And while we are always talking about the Greek myth stuff, I wanted to read other people's ideas surrounding her more space and alien adventures.

If you could only have a handful or two alien species that Diana consistently encountered, who would they be, what would they do, and why?

Would you have amazons be star explorers? if yes, what would their adventures be like?

would you make space fun or scary or both? what would be your limitations be?

I like asking these questions just to get a gauge of what the fan base thinks, generally speaking.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Honestly id just stick with the aliens she already has.
    Skrill and their villainous Skrillshare organization
    Ytirflirk Armada as the dumb warrior brutes.
    Rykornians the evil plant people
    Sangtee Empire as this massive expansive evil empire that cannot be fought head on.

Though admittedly I have a bit of a soft spot for golden/silver age aliens like the robots of flying saucer planet, and those olde timey takes on the aliens inhabiting Venus, Saturn, and Neptune.

Hmm...Id probably make another splintered off Amazon tribe of Space Amazons? Not sure what id do beyond that.

Why would you want limitations on space? Leaving it open leaves room for alternative takes.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Would you have amazons be star explorers? if yes, what would their adventures be like?

would you make space fun or scary or both? what would be your limitations be?

Since Fuzzy ideas on the aliens are great, I'll answer these two questions. Yes. The Amazons should totally be star explorers since one of their themes is being what humanity could become (Diana is the representation of that and once you overlook and/or take out Marston's very out there ideas), so being space explorers definitely fits. Plus, Wonder Woman is a science-fantasy comic book. Both fun and scary since space is both fun and scary in nature.

Now, what would I do? Something akin to Star Trek for smaller/personal stories and a Space Opera for big/thematic stories. The question is, who would be the cast? Ah, screw it. Everyone, make it an Elseworld! Well, this got my brain working.

I would bring in Bronze Age Vartox "an Esper Knight with all of his powers are Psionic" and the alien ancestors of Dream Girl (Nura Nal).

I wouldn't create an amazon space colony, but I would create an empathic civilization with precogs that were able to sense the majestic beauty of Paradise Island and tried to imitate them. Diana would encounter this civilization in her space adventures.

I like Planet Themsycira from Legion of Superheroes In The 31st Century #7:

Princess Xenobia is the Princess of the Planet and it's rightful ruler:

She also had a meet cute relationship with Superboy. Only Sup/WW ship I enjoyed.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Honestly id just stick with the aliens she already has.
    Skrill and their villainous Skrillshare organization
    Ytirflirk Armada as the dumb warrior brutes.
    Rykornians the evil plant people
    Sangtee Empire as this massive expansive evil empire that cannot be fought head on.
    I'd add Astarte and the Citizenry from the end of Gail's run, even though I wasn't crazy about the arc itself. You get the added dimension of her having a tie to the Amazons. Also really dug Gail's arc with the Khund even though they're not WW-specific, just thought their dynamic with her was interesting.

In terms of the questions in the original post, I'm very much into having more space stuff. I like the idea of the Amazons exploring space as part of an overall technologically advanced society but I don't particularly like the idea of "space nomads" being their whole MO. I suppose you could could have some of them going on space explorations and bringing back what they learned, or show some Amazon (or Amazon-like) tribes on other planets, but I'd definitely make it less Green Lantern space cop stuff and more about exploration and discovery. It'd also be cool to see Diana/some Amazons with the Legion, or get some stories set in the distant future where she's exploring space - their immortality has become a really central part of their mythos so I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it.

Fun or scary could work. The only limitation I see is that I wouldn't really want space-faring to become THE central focus of her adventures. But in terms of how space "works," I think the most interesting, unique way to do it is to think about it less literally - make it less sci-fi and more myth/fantasy. It'd be cool to have a big story that harkened back to some of the sorts of cosmic wars from Greek mythology (e.g. the Titanomachy) where adventures and battles create natural phenomena. Oh, and can't forget the space kangas.

Diana’s sci-fi and space opera elements definitely need to be redeveloped. I’ve been playing around with finding space for some of the characters in my canon:

Skrill
    Andros
    Ytirflirks
    Sangtee Empire
    Astarte

And, I’ve got plans for Eviless.

Cosmically, I also think there’s room for Diana and Olympians to interact with the New Gods. It’s an opportunity to explore divinity in the DCU and define it better as well as have fun with it. In the Azz run I liked Hera visiting New Genesis and High Father calling her the queen that she is and vibing on her.

Besides the above, there are a few more characters I’d in include in Diana’s interstellar adversaries.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 08-16-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really care about Diana interacting with Olympians or the New Gods. Anyone care to explain their love of it?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really care about Diana interacting with Olympians or the New Gods. Anyone care to explain their love of it?
    Her very existence is due to the Gods. It'd be like Superman having nothing to do with Krypton/Kryptonians.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I really find it boring most of the time

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Just looking at her adventures is space, she's had some interesting outfits

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Her very existence is due to the Gods. It'd be like Superman having nothing to do with Krypton/Kryptonians.
    I'd be down for another period where Superman is the only Kryptonian alive. I'd take it further and have Superman not really learn about his birth at all. Just make it one big accident he learns he's not from the Earth.