Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Cliff Chiang Zeus was younger with black hair in Greek dreadlocks and his Athena was a humanoid owl.
    Athena was basically Olcadan.

Olympus Rebirth Preview
    Writers: Michael W. Conrad, Becky Cloonan
    Art: Caitlin Yarsky
    Colors: Jordie Bellaire

The unpainted statue makes Hippolyta look a bit like Connie Nelson.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

That design of Hestia is really good.

No re design of Artemis has ever clicked with me.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Let's see how long these God Redesigns last .

Just actually gave the preview a better look and I must say I cannot wait to grab this one! Watching Hippolyta run through the sphere of the gods made me think of Historia #1. I really look forward to Hera and Hippolyta meeting up seeing as they are equals now and Hippolyta can take action if need. ����

I hear and understand what some of you are saying about your wanting to see Wonder Woman surpass her gods, ..but, the problem is a simple. If the Greek gods don't exhibit, at least (probably should be more), the measure of power and invulnerability, shown by Darkseid, ..and Wonder Woman is their creation, ..why should any writer respect her power, in a story? Why shouldn't Supergirl, Batgirl or Catwoman just knock the hell out of her, anytime they want?

I think I get what you want, ..to knock the Greek gods off their pedestals and see them treated irreverently, for whatever reasons. However, in a DCU, where Darkseid is the apex super-villain, virtually infallible to anyone, but, Superman, people are bound to make a comparison, which doesn't favor the Greek gods.

I want to see Zeus laugh off a frontal assault, from Superman. Maybe, Superman tumbles him over, a first, unguarded time, after which Zeus or Apollo goads him to try again, ..ending with Superman's total humiliation. I think Wonder Woman's gods should damn well be written and treated, editorially, like gods.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-20-2022 at 03:14 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I really like the art!

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Let's see how long these God Redesigns last .
    Hopefully they won’t last beyond this one-shot and these little peasant girls are “reborn” into something that resembles a God by the end of this. Not that anyone will read it

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I hear and understand what some of you are saying about your wanting to see Wonder Woman surpass her gods, ..but, the problem is a simple. If the Greek gods don't exhibit, at least (probably should be more), the measure of power and invulnerability, shown by Darkseid, ..and Wonder Woman is their creation, ..why should any writer respect her power, in a story? Why shouldn't Supergirl, Batgirl or Catwoman just knock the hell out of her, anytime they want?

I think I get what you want, ..to knock the Greek gods off their pedestals and see them treated irreverently, for whatever reasons. However, in a DCU, where Darkseid is the apex super-villain, virtually infallible to anyone, but, Superman, people are bound to make a comparison, which doesn't favor the Greek gods.

I want to see Zeus laugh off a frontal assault, from Superman. Maybe, Superman tumbles him over, a first, unguarded time, after which Zeus or Apollo goads him to try again, ..ending with Superman's total humiliation. I think Wonder Woman's gods should damn well be written and treated, editorially, like gods.
    IF DC truly views Darkseid as the ultimate evil force. They need to be more condsistent. Becausse fior every story wher he is portrayed as a team buster. You have stories where Superman, Powergirl, Wonder woman etc have fought him one on one and gave him a run for his money.

Writers usually perform mental gymnastics to explain why some hero with powers just doesn't take Joker out the moment he shows his face. There is no reason why important characters in WW mythology shouldn't get same attention and care.

Incredible Member

I hate Demeter's design. The other goddesses designs however are amazing.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Well, the problem is, how do you define how powerful a God is? The Greek Gods are mostly just forces of nature. Lighting strike from the sky? Zeus's doing. We can't really go based on that now can we? How about the myths? Well, that's about as contradicting as DC Comics. You have one story where Zeus claimed he can hang Olympus and the Earth from a hook and another one where he got caught in a fishing net. DC Comics itself? Nah. Well, how do you define a God's power? You can't, it's entirely subjective. Not to mention that Heracles beat Ares, and Superman is strong as Heracles. So, what can writers do? The answer is simple, keep the Gods away. Have them interact with the superheroes as they did in the myths, minus the sex (well, I don't think Zeus or Aphrodite can help themselves). There's no need to humiliate Superman to show how powerful Zeus is because you're making Zeus look weak by having to actually show this. Because you're telling the readers: "SEE?! SUPERMAN CAN'T BEAT ZEUS, HA!" Then you'll have fans actually debate whether or not Zeus can really beat Superman. Then someone will have Superman eventually beat Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    IF DC truly views Darkseid as the ultimate evil force. They need to be more condsistent. Becausse fior every story wher he is portrayed as a team buster. You have stories where Superman, Powergirl, Wonder woman etc have fought him one on one and gave him a run for his money.
    Because he's not. Jack Kirby made Darkseid the ultimate representation of fascism, which is always defeated in the end.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 08-21-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Well, the problem is, how do you define how powerful a God is? The Greek Gods are mostly just forces of nature. Lighting strike from the sky? Zeus's doing. We can't really go based on that now can we? How about the myths? Well, that's about as contradicting as DC Comics. You have one story where Zeus claimed he can hang Olympus and the Earth from a hook and another one where he got caught in a fishing net. DC Comics itself? Nah. Well, how do you define a God's power? You can't, but it's entirely subjective. Not to mention that Heracles beat Ares, and Superman is strong as Heracles. So, what can writers do? The answer is simple, keep the Gods away. Have them interact with the superheroes as they did in the myths, minus the sex (well, I don't think Zeus or Aphrodite can help themselves). There's no need to humiliate Superman to show how powerful Zeus is because you're making Zeus look weak by having to actually show this. Because you're telling the re: "SEE?! SUPERMAN CAN'T BEAT ZEUS, HA!" Then you'll have fans actually debate whether or not Zeus can really beat Superman.

Because he's not. Jack Kirby made Darkseid the ultimate representation of fascism, which is always defeated in the end.
    But how he gets defeated changes. Sometimes you need the whole JL. Sometimes Superman alone can put him down. I still remember the angry people when Wonder Woman put up a good fight against Darkseid on her own. Sure it's ok for Superman or Batman to trash Wonder Woman's villains. But God forbid that Wonder Woman can do the same to their villains. So if Darkseid is this ultimate force, they need to be more consistent. And then they need to retire him from being a Superman villain. If DK is truly meant to be a team buster. Or they can stop acting like other heroes can compete with SM. And just say that SM truly is above all JL combined, to explain how he can beat DS alone. In which case we really don't need the JL. We just need Superman. Pretty much like the jl movie. And if that means no more crappy WW portrayal in that awful team. I am here for it. Let Superman take care of Darekseid and all the other beings that the other poor heroes can't handle. And focus more on creatring better solo title stories for WW, AQ, GL etc.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

The only two people who should beat Darkseid are Highfather and Orion. Highfather because he actually should be written as stronger and Orion because that's how Darkseid should die. Yes, I lean towards Kirby because it makes more sense than whatever DC Comics does at times with the New Gods.