Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Arrowverse Supergirl was an adult. And she was over 30 by the time the show ended.
    True, Earth-91 isn't the only one where Supergirl was old enough to have her own super-girl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Arrowverse Supergirl was an adult. And she was over 30 by the time the show ended.
    True. I was talking more about the comics, where Supergirl has typically been a teenager since her ''return''. Though I dunno what her current status is.

There's no huge difference between what the DC You and Rebirth were already doing, the only difference now is that DC wants to be celebrated for a thing that had already been happening and they made away with any and all constraints.

There are creators that use old history to give their stories more depth, but other creators just bastardise a character's history to a point where it all looses its meaning. It's basically the "everything matters, so nothing matters" approach and that's tired and uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    True. I was talking more about the comics, where Supergirl has typically been a teenager since her ''return''. Though I dunno what her current status is.
    Last I heard, early 20s.

Yeah, issue 1 of Woman of Tomorrow was set on her 21st birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    To be fair, there are some aspects of Waid's Batman/Superman that couldn't happen unless they consolidated everything.

- Active Doom Patrol
    - Robin and Kara dated
    - Kara even being on Earth when the JL, DP, Bats and Supes were active
    Yeah, in post-Crisis continuity, Kara only arrived on Earth when Tim was Robin (in stories published in 2005). If she was around when Dick was Robin, then the 2005 and 2011 origins for her are null and void, and she's been merged with her pre-Crisis self. You'd have to assume that she still died, and obviously didn't age while dead, which explains why she's now apparently younger than the New Teen Titans (who should be at least 30, based on Lian Harper's current age) when she should've been older than them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

It works fine in theory, but the execution has been a failure. Nobody cares about trying to cohere 'small' details together, they just take it as license to have no continuity. So it would've been easy to just slot Doomsday Clock in one month, but you had both the ego of Johns making them wait until Frank finally decided to finish it, and King/Bendis refusing to even work in a couple references to set it up or Batman's friggin' costume he wore in it.

There needs to be more of a balance between the wild west and post-crisis, where the continuity was too hermetically sealed that it alienated new readers, but stubbornly referenced forever things no one wanted. ("Wonder Woman was never a founding JLA member! No matter how many years its been or how much you hate it!") But too much in the other direction lies madness and they all become conflicting 'Elseworlds.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    I think it's incredibly stupid from a narrative standpoint, especially considering how simple yet effective Johns' Metaverse is from Doomsday Clock. The ONLY reason the Metaverse explanation for the Multiverse (and the undoing of Manhattan's changes to the core DCU) were undone was because DiDio was put back in charge by Bob Harras. Personal vendetta and spite overruled what could have easily been the final word on continuity: every time there's a change to Superman, a new universe is created in the Multiverse that preserves the previous era. In essence, everything DID happen and those versions of characters and stories are forever preserved and available to be revisited.
    This.... 200,% this...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't see why it would be overwhelming for her. She remembers being born in the Golden Age and then time being rewritten many times, by gods, alien entities and cosmic unities. She remembers going through those various adventures, dying, coming back, Steve being older, younger, etc.

They are just memories from all the adventures she's had and how her relationships oscilated and how she herself changed. Except she knows her memory was reset multiple times and now all of it is back.

And Wonder Woman is the perfect example of how you can't actually pick one single continuity for her because every past history of the character had huge blunders fans dislike, specially post crisis, and even Rebirth (like her only seeing Themyscira again 10 years after leaving, Jason being her brother, etc).

So her remembering every past is the only pragmatic option.

Everything Happened is what ends the endless cycle of major and minor reboots that were never going to create consistency, just grievances
    Well no. Every reality being on it's own Earth seems a lot easier. Plus we then have those realities and variations of characters to visit and interact.

It's far more limiting and convoluted to have it be " it was all me but just remembering elements of my past lives"

Plus, pre Crisis they were actually different Dianas on different Earth's.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    *My* DC Universe existed from 1986-2011, and while it certainly had its flaws, the people that built it cared about continuity on a level we probably won't ever see again.
    Likewise.

As for the OP's question, no, it doesn't work for me.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Well no. Every reality being on it's own Earth seems a lot easier. Plus we then have those realities and variations of characters to visit and interact.

It's far more limiting and convoluted to have it be " it was all me but just remembering elements of my past lives"

so much this. merging histories just.. why....

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    so much this. merging histories just.. why....
    If they do alternate earths, infinite earths, it will be a different story, instead of same story but in the past

They can't do, say, Mark Waid Dan Mora World's Finest and call it canon. It has to be Pre-Crisis Earth-1, not main Earth history.

The root of the problem here is people feeling their story they invested in don't count, get angry, and refuse to read. Basically, what happened in New 52. DC lost a lot of money and reader by erasing history. In Rebirth, they bring it back, some elements of it. Now they're bringing it ALL back.

How does it fit matters less than trying to telling everyone that their old stories count. Because people DO not count stories of alternate earths. It's been fandom attitude for years.

Basically they get hit hard with New 52, and went overboard the other way around.

(also because this way they don't have to be too pedantic to continuity as they have canonized every method possible to make inconsistencies canon)
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-26-2022 at 07:04 AM.

But now none of the stories count.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They do if they use the Memory thing. Even if they didn't physically experience it, they remember (not all at once. Since the memory happen in flashes, each writer can choose when and where to use it), and that memory can inform the relationship.

Of course, this depends if the writers actually want to use it, but it's there to be used if they want.

it's not the same, but using Conner Kent on Titans he has epigentic memory and actually followed clark/Lex's memories to Lex's old house, then got pissed at how Lex's dad treated him(really lex). nothing happened to Conner, he didn't expericmex any of it, but he remembered it so well that he had a strong reaction to it.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    They do if they use the Memory thing. Even if they didn't physically experience it, they remember (not all at once. Since the memory happen in flashes, each writer can choose when and where to use it), and that memory can inform the relationship.

Of course, this depends if the writers actually want to use it, but it's there to be used if they want.
    Well it's that one little word: if. Not when... IF.