Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

They'll need to define their characters' histories at some point. Has it been established whether Barry Allen and Iris are married, post-Death Metal? That's something the writer will need to know. If they ever bring back Patty Spivot, who Barry dated during New 52, then they'll need to establish what their history with each other is. Which stories was Jon Kent around for? When was he actually born? Does it synch up with the ages of other young characters, like Tim Drake? When did Billy Batson become a hero? Which of his origins is in play?

Astonishing Member

It depends on if you actually care about continuity, because this whole ''everything happened'' things was just one big way for DC to say: ''We don't care about continuity, we don't care about what happened and what didn't, it's already broken, we're tired of trying to fix it and you won't let us make complete reboot anyway, so that's how things will be going from now on"
    I don't care about it, so, I'm okay with that. But I can see why someone is upset with this.

I would be fine if continuity was treated like it is for Wally West in the current Flash run. "So I was just going about my life one day when this Nu52 **** happened and my life and everything related to it was erased but now my history, continuity and relationships is back to being what it used to be".

The Post Crisis era (for all it's faults) is the most stable foundation DC has ever had. The Pre Crisis stuff can always be woven into their narrative.

Batman Year One is still considered the classic Batman origin story.

The current WW run is still drawing from Perez and Jimenez's runs for story ideas while mixing it with some Pre Crisis elements.

Bryne's Man of Steel is still main bible that Superman adaptations, be it animation or live action, still draws inspiration from.

Rebirth Superman was just Post Crisis Superman and Lois with a kid.

So I hope DC just restores everyone's Post Crisis continuity, incorporate workable elements from Pre Crisis continuity and just consider Nu52 as a bad dream everyone had.

Though I suspect there are shenanigans from higher ups who still want to retain elements from Nu52 continuity. Hence why the Wonder books haven't completely disregarded the terrible Zeus origin.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Once again, at this point the only solution is that the geography of the DC universe should be what it is today, and the superheroes remember all their past lives even though the universe was rebooted five times. It's villains messing up with the timeline, and all things are well. Heck, that's how the Green lantern franchise handled the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Killowog remembered the universe before the reboot, and complained about his world not being reborn. So writers csn write a story where Wonder Woman talks about her adventures in the Golden Age with Etta Candy, and then mentions how everything changed. And the next writer can talk about when Zeus was her father (and hopefullt recognizes how horrible that was) and both those things happened at one point. And you don't have to talk about all the crisis, just that the past has changed many times. As long as no writer actively says something didn't happen, it's fine to ignore the stuff you don't care for.

here are many Superman fans that prefered Lex Luthor raised in Smallville and Legion of Superheroes adventures with teen Kal El. What was Krypton actually like? Was Chris Kent adopted by the Kents?

I don't see anybody asking for Jason Todd to be ressurected by Superboy Primes reality punch.
    Aquaman is still actively ignoring post crisis (like Black Manta killing Arthur's father, the hook hand, the geography of Atlantis)

And I don't see many Wonder Woman fans asking to bring back Hippolyta's death during Our Worlds at War, the Amazon democracy, Amazons Attack (and Max Lord's whole ordeal). Do they want Barbara Minerva origin story from George Perez? Do they want old Steve and Etta from George Perez?

What origin story for the Justice League? Is it the JLA Year One? Is it New 52? Is it the Starro? Is it the Appelaxians? Were the trinity part of the league?

What do we do with the Shazam Family and his adopted siblings?

Once again, at this point the only solution is that the geography of the DC universe should be what it is today, and the characters remember all their past lives
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-20-2022 at 07:18 AM.

One shouldn't need LSD or a board with strings reminiscent of a a stereotypical conspiracy theorist in order understand simple continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One shouldn't need LSD or a board with strings reminiscent of a a stereotypical conspiracy theorist in order understand simple continuity.
    Explain to me what story should I show someone that wants to read the origin story for the Justice League. And what origin story for Wonder Woman. There is no single continuity you can go back to that will do anything aside from ignoring 50% of DC fans for one reason or another

Yes, it's working. And I like the weird things that need to be fixed. Like, for example, Emiko and Robert.

Retired

I dunno. It's been years since I was on the force. It was back in the early 2000s--the chief hauled me into her office and told me to turn in my gun and my badge. I guess I was a loose cannon or maybe some of the higher ups didn't like me trying to clean up the corruption in this town. Never got my pension, but I'm not bitter.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

"Everything happened" just isn't doable. It's just acknowledging all the retcons we already know happened in real life. They're going to have to pick something and stick with it and just tell the fans of the other stuff, "Sorry, we have to do what's best for the company and keeping Donna's five different origins or whatever, isn't it". You also don't want a Power Girl situation where you have characters who literally have no place in the universe because there's no way to make them fit. Wasn't there a Legion character who was supposed to the decedent of Superman and they made her an android post-Crisis? Stuff like that.
    Assassinate Putin!

The only canon that is real is the Hostess snack cake universe.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The only canon that is real is the Hostess snack cake universe.
    DEAL! I'll take it!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    "Everything happened" just isn't doable. It's just acknowledging all the retcons we already know happened in real life. They're going to have to pick something and stick with it and just tell the fans of the other stuff, "Sorry, we have to do what's best for the company and keeping Donna's five different origins or whatever, isn't it". You also don't want a Power Girl situation where you have characters who literally have no place in the universe because there's no way to make them fit. Wasn't there a Legion character who was supposed to the decedent of Superman and they made her an android post-Crisis? Stuff like that.
    So if someone wants to read the origin for the Justice league, what book should I show them as canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Explain to me what story should I show someone that wants to read the origin story for the Justice League. And what origin story for Wonder Woman. There is no single continuity you can go back to that will do anything aside from ignoring 50% of DC fans for one reason or another
    I would be normal person and would recommend them something I like and leave it at that like I usually do for most people who ask for such things. I don't why I'd take in account what this mysterious 50% of other DC fans think.

So you wouldn't imprint on them a particular continuity. So why are some fans worried about DC's history not being simple enough, when even you wouldn't follow continuity in recommending stories to newbies.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    *My* DC Universe existed from 1986-2011, and while it certainly had its flaws, the people that built it cared about continuity on a level we probably won't ever see again.

I don't mean this as cynically as it sounds, but I really don't care anymore. The current mandate works for me in that I still read the characters/creators I like, and stopped worrying about how/if/when their stories all tie together awhile ago now.
    This is exactly how I feel. The attempts to reincorporate the pre-Flashpoint universe are futile, because DC s feels the need to insert the New 52 and Rebirth periods into their continuity. You can't slap together previous timeline with a hard reboot and say they're one big universe. There's a thousand contradictions that would take a massive, decades spanning project to reconcile, definitely not DiDio's half-assed attempt with the 5G timeline.

I'm just glad that we got 25 years of 70-80% good stories.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-20-2022 at 10:03 AM.