Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    No single horror movie monster is gonna beat the Avengers. The Avengers (well, many of them) fight horrors on their own, singly. And Doctor Strange has the smarts to figure out how to beat the reality warpers.

The only way this works is to get a team up of Horror movie monsters, coming at the heroes when they are weak (in traditional Horror movie form) and then attacking the survivors en mass.

Something like The Cloverfield Monster, Dracula, Wishmaster, Freddy Krueger, and a few others... then you've got a cool horror movie monster vs Avengers scenario. Maybe Drac leads the pack to destroy the heroes (creating tons of vampires, as cannon fodder, and trying to turning at least one or two Avengers into vampire superpowered servants.) Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Thor are the real threats.

My two cents.
    What's Dr strange going to do to Sutter Cane or full powerd wishmaster or dream would Freddy?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What's Dr strange going to do to Sutter Cane or full powerd wishmaster or dream would Freddy?
    I don't remember those individual characters well, (it's been forever since I've seen a Wishmaster...) but I'm assuming they out-power Strange (taking your word for it). But Strange isn't the best because he outpowers his foes- he outsmarts them. He would try to find a psychological weakness and/or understand how the foe works, and turn things around on them. Even if he has to take a beating. That's how Doctor Strange stories work.

Many of the best Strange stories have him going against a foe waaaay more powerful than himself and turning things around on them. Thor or Captain Marvel are lunkheads, they won't do that. To be fair, Thor is occasionally clever. Carol, especially nowadays, has been written as notoriously stubborn and the LEAST likely to find a clever solution to problem (in both the books and her film appearances)

Back on topic, If Strange can't do that, he's probably toast if he's outpowered. Both his movies had him do this (outpowered against a reality warper- Dormmamu, Scarlet Witch- comes out with a win at the end of the day). So I wouldn't bet against Strange.
    Last edited by Zagreus; 06-16-2022 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Clarity

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I don't remember those individual characters well, (it's been forever since I've seen a Wishmaster...) but I'm assuming they out-power Strange (taking your word for it). But Strange isn't the best because he outpowers his foes- he outsmarts them. He would try to find a psychological weakness and/or understand how the foe works, and turn things around on them. Even if he has to take a beating. That's how Doctor Strange stories work.

Many of the best Strange stories have him going against a foe waaaay more powerful than himself and turning things around on them. Thor or Captain Marvel are lunkheads, they won't do that. To be fair, Thor is occasionally clever. Carol, especially nowadays, has been written as notoriously stubborn and the LEAST likely to find a clever solution to problem (in both the books and her film appearances)

Back on topic, If Strange can't do that, he's probably toast if he's outpowered. Both his movies had him do this (outpowered against a reality warper- Dormmamu, Scarlet Witch- comes out with a win at the end of the day), and hundreds of his comics. So I wouldn't bet against Strange.
    Just to note, this is specifically MCU Strange - he only gets his stuff from inside the movies.

...if it were comic book Strange, yeah, no chance there.

Worse, actually, since current Strange and Wong are 'Wong working with Clea Strange in All Mangled And Killed™ mode'.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-16-2022 at 05:48 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

Though Strange against Freddy Krueger... that one I can answer.

Strange astrally projects on a whim. He can fully separate his mental form from his body. There's no way he wouldn't have the full array of his powers and abilities in a dream state, if not be fully able to take control of his own dream. I think he'd probably be able to make Freddy his little bitch in a dream. I don't know how going into the dream of someone with the abilties someone like Strange has is going to go for Freddy is gonna go... but I don't think it will go well.

Once Strange is aware of Freddy's threat, he will probably go to his books and cook up a spell to ward him off, protecting the others. Warding off demonic or spirit possession is like Magic 101. I know it hasn't been shown in the movies, yet, but I think this is something that is well within Dr. Strange's abilities. Of course, Freddy might get a kill if he's smart and attacks one of the less mentally/spiritually aware Avengers first (which he probably will). Then they will go to Strange, and that will be the end of it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Just to note, this is specifically MCU Strange - he only gets his stuff from inside the movies.

...if it were comic book Strange, yeah, no chance there.

Worse, actually, since current Strange and Wong are 'Wong working with Clea Strange in All Mangled And Killed™ mode'.
    Oh, I know... I'm just speaking about how Dr. Strange stories typically work. Even in his movies, he went against Reality Warpers and outsmarted them at the end of the day. That's the only way he would beat them. I think even the Cumberbatch Strange is clever enough to do this...

But power for power- yeah- the Wishmaster or whoever probably smacks him around. This is the abstract nature of it, I guess. I think most horror movie monsters are rather stupid and want to see their foes terrified and squirm. Even Cumberbatch won't be doing that, and will want to find a solution, and will be able to think magically/psychologically/abstractly

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Oh, I know... I'm just speaking about how Dr. Strange stories typically work. Even in his movies, he went against Reality Warpers and outsmarted them at the end of the day. That's the only way he would beat them. I think even the Cumberbatch Strange is clever enough to do this...

But power for power- yeah- the Wishmaster or whoever probably smacks him around. This is the abstract nature of it, I guess. I think most horror movie monsters are rather stupid and want to see their foes terrified and squirm. Even Cumberbatch won't be doing that, and will want to find a solution, and will be able to think magically/psychologically/abstractly
    Yeah, but now you've got me thinking about Clea Strange confronting Freddy. Maaaan, I would pay money to see that.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yeah, but now you've got me thinking about Clea Strange confronting Freddy. Maaaan, I would pay money to see that.
    LOL

(limit dance)

Though Strange against Freddy Krueger... that one I can answer.

Strange astrally projects on a whim. He can fully separate his mental form from his body. There's no way he wouldn't have the full array of his powers and abilities in a dream state, if not be fully able to take control of his own dream. I think he'd probably be able to make Freddy his little bitch in a dream. I don't know how going into the dream of someone with the abilties someone like Strange has is going to go for Freddy is gonna go... but I don't think it will go well.

Once Strange is aware of Freddy's threat, he will probably go to his books and cook up a spell to ward him off, protecting the others. Warding off demonic or spirit possession is like Magic 101. I know it hasn't been shown in the movies, yet, but I think this is something that is well within Dr. Strange's abilities. Of course, Freddy might get a kill if he's smart and attacks one of the less mentally/spiritually aware Avengers first (which he probably will). Then they will go to Strange, and that will be the end of it.
    In Dream Warriors one of the Dream Warriors is a magic user and Freddy just says I don't believe in magic or something and it doesn't work anymore now Dr strange is definitely more powerful than that kid and even if that doesn't work on Dr strange Freddy still has better showing in the dream would.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    In Dream Warriors one of the Dream Warriors is a magic user and Freddy just says I don't believe in magic or something and it doesn't work anymore now Dr strange is definitely more powerful than that kid and even if that doesn't work on Dr strange Freddy still has better showing in the dream would.
    That kid was just a teenage geek who played dungeons and dragons- in his dream he had magic, but not in reality. Probably not very relevant, but I liked that film.

That kid was just a teenage geek who played dungeons and dragons- in his dream he had magic, but not in reality. Probably not very relevant, but I liked that film.
    Freddy is still above Dr strange in the dream would

Astonishing Member

I have a soft spot for the time Freddy became a giant flesh puppeteer able to fish out a random bloke out of a building to his death in the Dreamworld, something nasty enough I'd think Strange would have to look it up in Darkhold pages.