Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

I like the story so far. Interested to see where this goes with Lazarus Planet.

Waid still has it if you ask me. Always been a big fan.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

Batman vs. Robin #5 Preview
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Mahmud Asrar

Isn't this the last confirmed appearance for Damian as far as we know?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't this the last confirmed appearance for Damian as far as we know?
    He'll be making some sort of appearance in Knight Terrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    He'll be making some sort of appearance in Knight Terrors.
    Ah, that's cool .

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Love the callback to Rebirth deathstroke.

I never expected this to end with a Genki Dama.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I proudly said, "We are Batman!" right along with the Batfamily and the rest of the denizens of Gotham city as they strove to revive Batman from the magical wounds he sustained from fighting the demon Nezha. I wasn't a big fan of the whole Lazurus planet event as from the start it seemed pretty thin on plot and the overall grimness of the tone was just tired and over done...but the optimism that Waid brought to the forefront when he came back to DC with Worlds Finest shone bright and clear in the finale of this issue. Sure, we've seen similar plots with the world sending their good juju out into the universe some how saving the day in the past(it's how the 10th Doctor beat the Master and Goku beat numerous opponents) but it hit this reader squarely in the heart here and I bit it hook, line and sinker and the ending with Bruce and Damian flying off as the up-beat father son dynamic duo definitely worked as well.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one, who feels like this ending wasn't originally planned?
    Maybe I'm seeing too much in it, but considering everything Waid was saying before, I have a feeling there was supposed to be something different. Perhaps Brave and Bold announcement changed their plans for Damian.

Fantastic Member

I am going to say it since nobody else has, and I don't care if it gets me banned:

Talia's boobs have been amazing in this series. Seriously, Asrar draws the most realistic breasts in comics, or at least he does with Talia. The fact that he remembers that she has real boobs, and has since she was created with one being slightly smaller to a cup size smaller than the other (which says a lot about me that I know this, and notice it) unlike every other female character, that he made them flatten when she's on her back?! Perfection. This man knows boobs. He has experience with them, and more importantly, he understands that in modern art and with modern readers, they appreciate the occasional real set behaving like real boobs.

There are many, many things I liked about this series, and I have many thoughts and actual reviews, but Talia's chest deserves a special mention. As it always does, considering that just as we now know Bruce's penis size thanks to that Black Label book, we've known Talia's nipple color (brown) since Bane of the Demon and Robin Rises.

He spent a lot of time thinking about the movement of all the female characters breasts, and how each of them will have different shapes. That's talent. Most male artists, female as well, have one boob type they draw and stick with it. But Asrar? No, man. The dude put a lot of thought into each character's chest and how it moves and works. Poison Ivy? Fake; big, perky, stiff. Kara's? They shift and flow just like Talia's. When she's being knocked out by Nehza, her boobs are jostling like they hurt. They flatten. It's fantastic. Barbara Gordon is clearly wearing a sports bra, and one that's a hair away from uniboob, as is Stephanie. Zatanna actually has her top digging into her boobs when she shows up. How often does a comic artist draw that? Seriously? Do they?

Even the filler characters who are clapping their hands for Tinkerb—Batman have fantastic chests. The girl on the couch with her puppy isn't wearing a bra and looks exactly the way an a/b cup should when braless in a sweatshirt. The chunky women has very faint bra lines.

I should not be stunned by a man drawing realistic female anatomy, but he's a comic book artist.

Anyhow. Ahem.

The art has been phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    I am going to say it since nobody else has, and I don't care if it gets me banned:

Talia's boobs have been amazing in this series. Seriously, Asrar draws the most realistic breasts in comics, or at least he does with Talia. The fact that he remembers that she has real boobs, and has since she was created with one being slightly smaller to a cup size smaller than the other (which says a lot about me that I know this, and notice it) unlike every other female character, that he made them flatten when she's on her back?! Perfection. This man knows boobs. He has experience with them, and more importantly, he understands that in modern art and with modern readers, they appreciate the occasional real set behaving like real boobs.

There are many, many things I liked about this series, and I have many thoughts and actual reviews, but Talia's chest deserves a special mention. As it always does, considering that just as we now know Bruce's penis size thanks to that Black Label book, we've known Talia's nipple color (brown) since Bane of the Demon and Robin Rises.

He spent a lot of time thinking about the movement of all the female characters breasts, and how each of them will have different shapes. That's talent. Most male artists, female as well, have one boob type they draw and stick with it. But Asrar? No, man. The dude put a lot of thought into each character's chest and how it moves and works. Poison Ivy? Fake; big, perky, stiff. Kara's? They shift and flow just like Talia's. When she's being knocked out by Nehza, her boobs are jostling like they hurt. They flatten. It's fantastic. Barbara Gordon is clearly wearing a sports bra, and one that's a hair away from uniboob, as is Stephanie. Zatanna actually has her top digging into her boobs when she shows up. How often does a comic artist draw that? Seriously? Do they?

Even the filler characters who are clapping their hands for Tinkerb—Batman have fantastic chests. The girl on the couch with her puppy isn't wearing a bra and looks exactly the way an a/b cup should when braless in a sweatshirt. The chunky women has very faint bra lines.

I should not be stunned by a man drawing realistic female anatomy, but he's a comic book artist.

Anyhow. Ahem.

LOL.

The Details. Amazing.

Great to see appreciation for artists drawing realistic boobs on women in comics.

I enjoyed this series though Waid didn't really address the grips of the Robins. Missed opportunity to address some of Bruce's dodge decisions/actions. Some of the Robin's grips/claims were odd or downright incorrect in some cases {Tim's seems to have forgotten canon events]

The issue with the Robins going off on Bruce wasn't very well done.

Loved the ending.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    LOL.

The Details. Amazing.

Great to see appreciation for artists drawing realistic boobs on women in comics.
    The action sequences were excellent as well. But that man's ability to do anatomy is incredible. I went on about the boobies, but his hands and feet are next level as well. And the one scene wonders of normal people? Dear lord, he can draw. It's not the standard wank material for adolescent males that most comics are. People have realistic proportions. He does normal bodies without making them freakish...and heroic bodies without making them freakish.

I am going on and on about the female bodies mainly because if you look at any cross section of comics, especially DC, the female bodies are generally...not good. The artist is someone who has an ideal and that's what they're drawing. Asrar is drawing people, and that wasn't completely clear until the final issue when he straight up flexed.

I don't normally read Wonder Woman, mainly because I can't not view Greek Gods with modern eyes and percieved them as evil, but I might if he was the artist. And they get a good writer who knows their Classics, preferably female. I would kill to read Wonder Woman by one of the women who translated Homer or Ovid, or the woman who wrote Circe.

Anyhow, Nehza's reaction when Damian acknowledged that he was going to kill his father to defeat him was fantastic. Nehza achieved his primary goal, Batman's death at the hands of his son, and yet suffered defeat.I hope he's at least a little bit proud.

It's also the second time in in canon Damian's technically killed his dad to save others. (The Dark Knight 15, Feb 2013, and man, rereading everything Bruce did to Damian before Damian's death? Dude's sadistic to a ten year old. Bruce is utterly indifferent to Damian's emotions and overall well being regardless of who was writing him.)

I wonder if this means that the "Damian will be responsible for Batman's death and sell his soul" story is finally done and Damian will start aging like Tim?

Naw. They're going to keep rushing him into adulthood as an adult Damian is interesting and there are stories to explore with him.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

Anyhow. Ahem.

I had no intention to ever read this, but now I have to check it out.