Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question Opinions on recent X-Titles?

Hey people! I'd like to hear your opinions (mainly) on these titles:
    1. X-Men (2021) by Duggan
    2. Immortal X-Men (2022) by Gillen
    3. X-Men Red (2022) by Ewing

I'm torn between starting one of those and I'd love your input. I think the main thing I enjoy about stories is character depth. You're free to share opinions on other recent X-Titles, too!

Thanks!

If you want depth, X-Men Red and Immortal X-Men are shaping up this way. Immortal is about the machinations and insight of the Quiet Council members. It's pretty character-driven so far, and a lot of it will likely revolve around the relationships between all the members.

X-Men Red is a mix of ideological struggles, politics and conspiracies. It's about Brand and Storm both building up their forces and making plays; Brand's scheming to gain power and sabotage others, while Storm works in the best interest of her people. Beyond them, multiple characters have shown their insights or are set up to have great personal stories. The prequel book (SWORD) was great at fleshing characters out and making interesting storylines, and I'm sure this book will continue it going forward.

Duggan's X-Men has been building up Synch's character, and other characters have had some nice moments. But some characters have been blatantly neglected or underutilized. There's potential for more depth now that they're wrapping up plots and settling in, but it's lagging behind Red.

That said, none of them have Hellion. He's a character with a ton of depth. If you want a good book that shows off his journey as a person, read New Mutants Vol 2, New X-Men Vol 2, and the 2004 Hellions mini.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

1: I'm quite enjoying Duggan's X-Men overall. I personally like the one-and-done issue format, although, there isn't much forward momentum to the main plot. Yes, the individual characterisation is unbalanced with some members getting much more attention than others but, I'm reading it for the entire team and story (though it seems a bit "too many ingredients into the pot", sometimes), not just one or two characters. And the Art and Colour teams are exquisite.

2: Not being a fan of Gillen's work generally, I was interested in IXM with issue 01 as I felt the premise of focusing on the machinations of the QC was and still is very sound (and much needed) but...as much as I love Sinister, I'm really tired of him and his antics now and it seems that this run is centred around his shenanigans. Then issue 02 dropped and Gillen really soured me with that entire issue. I'm going to see how I feel about 03 because I love Destiny but...he's on very thin ice. The art is stunning, though.

3: My favourite of the three. Ewing is on point with the Plot (well-written), Premise (interesting) and Personalities (thoroughly engaging...even Brand being an utterly duplicitous ****-bag has me hooked). I very much enjoyed the new setting away from Krakoa/Earth established prior in SWORD and this is just a more focused continuation of that. The art and colours are exquisite to say the least.

Other: My absolute favourite book of this week though, is New Mutants 25. I know Vita and the New Mutants (Magik, Rahne, Dani etc.) are an acquired taste...and I totally understand why but...it's perfectly written, with spot-on and insightful characterisations and beauty-full art. This issue was 100% solid from start to finish.

If I had to suggest one for you...it would be XMRed.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

X-Men Duggan : meh
    Red and Immortal : very good

All-New Member

*Edited* I'll probably reply to the thread as I was trying to reply individually but I don't think I did so successfully New here
    Last edited by naskot; 05-20-2022 at 11:47 AM. Reason: no idea how to reply to one user

Quote Originally Posted by naskot View Post
    Hey people! I'd like to hear your opinions (mainly) on these titles:
    1. X-Men (2021) by Duggan
    2. Immortal X-Men (2022) by Gillen
    3. X-Men Red (2022) by Ewing

I'm torn between starting one of those and I'd love your input. I think the main thing I enjoy about stories is character depth. You're free to share opinions on other recent X-Titles, too!

Thanks!
    I'm legitimately enjoying all three of them, and the posters above have perfectly explained the differences between them. At this moment, X-Men and X-Men Red are competing for the top spot for me.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    If you want depth, X-Men Red and Immortal X-Men are shaping up this way. Immortal is about the machinations and insight of the Quiet Council members. It's pretty character-driven so far, and a lot of it will likely revolve around the relationships between all the members.

X-Men Red is a mix of ideological struggles, politics and conspiracies. It's about Brand and Storm both building up their forces and making plays; Brand's scheming to gain power and sabotage others, while Storm works in the best interest of her people. Beyond them, multiple characters have shown their insights or are set up to have great personal stories. The prequel book (SWORD) was great at fleshing characters out and making interesting storylines, and I'm sure this book will continue it going forward.

Duggan's X-Men has been building up Synch's character, and other characters have had some nice moments. But some characters have been blatantly neglected or underutilized. There's potential for more depth now that they're wrapping up plots and settling in, but it's lagging behind Red.

That said, none of them have Hellion. He's a character with a ton of depth. If you want a good book that shows off his journey as a person, read New Mutants Vol 2, New X-Men Vol 2, and the 2004 Hellions mini.
    Thank you for taking the time! I'll be checking out Hellion and X-Men Red! Would you mind sharing links to the 3 Hellion storylines you mentioned (it's tricky making sure I've found the right ones)?
    Last edited by naskot; 05-20-2022 at 12:20 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    1: I'm quite enjoying Duggan's X-Men overall. I personally like the one-and-done issue format, although, there isn't much forward momentum to the main plot. Yes, the individual characterisation is unbalanced with some members getting much more attention than others but, I'm reading it for the entire team and story (though it seems a bit "too many ingredients into the pot", sometimes), not just one or two characters. And the Art and Colour teams are exquisite.

2: Not being a fan of Gillen's work generally, I was interested in IXM with issue 01 as I felt the premise of focusing on the machinations of the QC was and still is very sound (and much needed) but...as much as I love Sinister, I'm really tired of him and his antics now and it seems that this run is centred around his shenanigans. Then issue 02 dropped and Gillen really soured me with that entire issue. I'm going to see how I feel about 03 because I love Destiny but...he's on very thin ice. The art is stunning, though.

3: My favourite of the three. Ewing is on point with the Plot (well-written), Premise (interesting) and Personalities (thoroughly engaging...even Brand being an utterly duplicitous ****-bag has me hooked). I very much enjoyed the new setting away from Krakoa/Earth established prior in SWORD and this is just a more focused continuation of that. The art and colours are exquisite to say the least.

Other: My absolute favourite book of this week though, is New Mutants 25. I know Vita and the New Mutants (Magik, Rahne, Dani etc.) are an acquired taste...and I totally understand why but...it's perfectly written, with spot-on and insightful characterisations and beauty-full art. This issue was 100% solid from start to finish.

If I had to suggest one for you...it would be XMRed.
    Thanks so much! Good to hear the art is on point! Quite a bit of the X-Books since 2019 have been really well-drawn. I can see why you'd like the New Mutants (idk much about their story but I do have quite a bit of sympathy for Magik and Rahne). I'll probably check the issue out - nothing wrong with giving even a single issue a go haha. I'll also probably start XMRed!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    X-Men Duggan : meh
    Red and Immortal : very good
    Seems to be somewhat the common answer haha! Cheers!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm legitimately enjoying all three of them, and the posters above have perfectly explained the differences between them. At this moment, X-Men and X-Men Red are competing for the top spot for me.
    So much praise for X-Men Red haha! I guess I'll start it! Glad you're having fun with all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by naskot View Post
    So much praise for X-Men Red haha! I guess I'll start it! Glad you're having fun with all of them!
    I love it. It’s my new favorite X-book. I’m also enjoying X-men and Immortal X-men, but for me — if you’re only going to start one — X-men Red is that book.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

X-Men - Boring... nice art tho.

Immortal X-Men - Very boring, couldn't make it through issue 1.

X-Men Red - Not interested in Storm leading the "Brotherhood" on Mars mingling with a bunch of C and D list characters. Rather she was on an actual X-Men team. Like the X-Men book tho... nice art, but boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    X-Men - Boring... nice art tho.

Immortal X-Men - Very boring, couldn't make it through issue 1.

X-Men Red - Not interested in Storm leading the "Brotherhood" on Mars mingling with a bunch of C and D list characters. Rather she was on an actual X-Men team. Like the X-Men book tho... nice art, but boring.
    To be fair, unless the book has Logan in it you tend to find it boring, Nick.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I'm reading both Immortal and Red. I liked both but I might drop Immortal. I'm buying too many comics so cuts gotta be made.

1. X-Men (2021) by Duggan: This book is pretty standard superhero action and doesn't always go in-depth with characterization. It also has a revolving roster so after issue 12 comes out the team is going to change. That being said the art is always fantastic and I think it's a fun book, especially when paired with other books that move plot/ characters along a bit faster.

2. Immortal X-Men (2022) by Gillen: Only two issues out so far and they've been entertaining and unafraid to take big swings. Gillen is about to headline a big crossover event book that might change the focus of this book for a little while, but since it hasn't started yet there's no way of knowing if that'll be a good thing or a bad thing.

3. X-Men Red (2022) by Ewing: My favorite of the bunch. Ewing does a lot of fun continuity references and is really building his own space in the X-books. This is the one book where some pre-reading might help. SWORD (11 issues) by Ewing very heavily sets this book up and features many of the same characters.

I'd say my top 5 X-books right now are:

1. X-Men Red
    2. New Mutants
    3. Sabretooth (screw the character but the story LaVelle is telling is amazing!)
    4. Immortal X-Men
    5. X-Men
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-20-2022 at 01:55 PM.