Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Clay Origin Reference

A story on CBR’s homepage drew my attention to Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #3. Diana has been turned to clay in a battle with Dr. Alchemy. “From clay she arose, to clay she returns,” says Alchemy. But Diana’s wearing the classic bathing suit costume. Is World’s Finest in its own timeline?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

From what I'm aware of, it's apparently set in the past of current continuity but given "everything is canon" now nonsense I wouldn't read too much in to it. I doubt Diana going back to being made from clay would be announced in a random issue of a Batman/Superman book.

It's also probably just Waid. He's not particular WW fan but he also loves classic DC so I doubt he cares for Daddy Zeus.

He also included Supergirl, when in post-Crisis continuity, she debuted when Tim was Robin and thus shouldn't be around when Dick's still the Boy Wonder. It's timeline is definitely amiss.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If Diana is made of clay, Zeus probably struck the lighting into it with Hippolyta’s dna with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    If Diana is made of clay, Zeus probably struck the lighting into it with Hippolyta’s dna with it.
    Zeus inseminating the clay with his lightning or otherwise is just as bad. I think that's the movie version as well. I hope that's not the direction they're going in.

I think a lot of creators want to return to the clay origin. The tide is swelling towards that direction. I just hope they don't compromise and have Zeus give life to a clay statue. What's wrong with having Athena and Aphrodite do it? Most creators still have a Judeo Christian centric thinking.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Zeus inseminating the clay with his lightning or otherwise is just as bad. I think that's the movie version as well. I hope that's not the direction they're going in.

I think a lot of creators want to return to the clay origin. The tide is swelling towards that direction. I just hope they don't compromise and have Zeus give life to a clay statue. What's wrong with having Athena and Aphrodite do it? Most creators still have a Judeo Christian centric thinking.
    Would the entire pantheon (except Ares I guess) blessing it be an okay compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Egads! That would be totally missing the point of why we want the clay origin back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would the entire pantheon (except Ares I guess) blessing it be an okay compromise?
    I would still be salty about that. LOL

Would making the Kents backwards hicks stereotypes be an okay update of them for Superman's origin?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Would making the Kents backwards hicks stereotypes be an okay update of them for Superman's origin?
    I'm...not sure that's quite the same but I'm not married to my own idea or anything .

No compromise.

Even from a mythological perspective, the goddesses closest to Diana's archetype are Athena and Artemis. Even Diana's name is the Roman translation of Artemis.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

That seems fine to me.

Ultimately, Historia is gonna be the origin everyone will want for Diana's birth, we just need to get that book enpigh love to gst it to the finish line.

But in the meantime, I think your proposal will at least make DC wake up for a minute and drop that dumb daddy zeus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    From what I'm aware of, it's apparently set in the past of current continuity but given "everything is canon" now nonsense I wouldn't read too much in to it. I doubt Diana going back to being made from clay would be announced in a random issue of a Batman/Superman book.

It's also probably just Waid. He's not particular WW fan but he also loves classic DC so I doubt he cares for Daddy Zeus.
    I have a question (for you or anyone who might help): this whole thing about "everything" being canon that I keep seeing references on this forum...when was this first announced/revealed by DC? What's the 411? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I have a question (for you or anyone who might help): this whole thing about "everything" being canon that I keep seeing references on this forum...when was this first announced/revealed by DC? What's the 411? Thanks!
    At the end of Death Metal #7 in January 2021

Everything Happened.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Death Metal from last year or so.