Extraordinary Member

Default DC vs. Vampires: Hunters #1 Preview

DC vs. Vampires: Hunters #1 Preview
    Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Neil Googe

I'm reminded of the matches line from New Frontier.

Oh hey, an Ice cameo!

J'onn a little irritable there.

Spectacular Member

Entertaining, and it's always nice to see Damian and Alfred together, but there were a few things that didn't seem to track with the initial 6-parter.

1) How, exactly, is Damian running around free to plot against King Dick? We've seen every other vampire convert reduced to slavish loyalty to their King regardless of who they were before turning (Wonder Woman and Superman come to mind) so why is Damian different?

2) King Dick seems to posit that it was something to do with Alfred being around when he turned, but that doesn't track with the end of DCVV#6 where the surviving Batfamily fled in a boat leaving the half drained Damian with King Dick and Wonder Woman.

3) Martian Manhunter would have trouble hammering Gorilla Grodd, Wonder Girl and Zsasz (f*#@8$g Zsasz, really?) into smouldering paste? I know vampires are stronger than humans and Wonder Girl has some chops, but c'mon. MM is up there in the Superman bracket when it comes to power-sets, the guy can turn intangible and invisible and doesn't have to worry about being turned - he should be the Number One threat to King Dick's global empire, not this nerfed joke.

4) It's been, what, six months since the vampire takeover? Hal's ring should well have found a new host (say, did they ever explain why the ring stayed with Hal when he was technically dead?) and the Green Lanterns should be aware of what has happened. Where's the cavalry?

But those are minor gripes. Still enjoying the story. So much better than the woeful Curse of the Mutants.

This was a fun enough issue. I was hoping that Dick and Damian would be working together but I'll take Damian as Buffy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nullviahomo View Post
    Entertaining, and it's always nice to see Damian and Alfred together, but there were a few things that didn't seem to track with the initial 6-parter.

1) How, exactly, is Damian running around free to plot against King Dick? We've seen every other vampire convert reduced to slavish loyalty to their King regardless of who they were before turning (Wonder Woman and Superman come to mind) so why is Damian different?

2) King Dick seems to posit that it was something to do with Alfred being around when he turned, but that doesn't track with the end of DCVV#6 where the surviving Batfamily fled in a boat leaving the half drained Damian with King Dick and Wonder Woman.

3) Martian Manhunter would have trouble hammering Gorilla Grodd, Wonder Girl and Zsasz (f*#@8$g Zsasz, really?) into smouldering paste? I know vampires are stronger than humans and Wonder Girl has some chops, but c'mon. MM is up there in the Superman bracket when it comes to power-sets, the guy can turn intangible and invisible and doesn't have to worry about being turned - he should be the Number One threat to King Dick's global empire, not this nerfed joke.

4) It's been, what, six months since the vampire takeover? Hal's ring should well have found a new host (say, did they ever explain why the ring stayed with Hal when he was technically dead?) and the Green Lanterns should be aware of what has happened. Where's the cavalry?

But those are minor gripes. Still enjoying the story. So much better than the woeful Curse of the Mutants.
    Can't disagree with anything you wrote. The fact that it's Dick and he is five steps ahead of everyone because he hid his condition and planned this out PERFECTLY. If you're an underground hero, where do you go? Where can you hide? Too many heroes and villains have been turned and he was in on this from the start, and played Damian.

I still have a problem with Superman being turned because of his powerset. He should be either anti-vampire or depowered as one because of the solar energy in his body or lack thereof.

What's funny is they don't know how to turn Martian Manhunter yet, but they can turn Superman just like that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I still have a problem with Superman being turned because of his powerset. He should be either anti-vampire or depowered as one because of the solar energy in his body or lack thereof.
    This is true, but they could get around it by embracing the contradiction and saying that Supervamp stays empowered by draining the reconditioned solar radiation in human blood. It's a huge handwave, but I think I'm right in saying that at its most basic level that's what the human body does - eat and digest fauna and flora to get at the solar energy everything living contains.

Which could lead to an amusing plot-point. King Dick keeps Supervamp on a leash by allowing him to feed on only the bare minimum of victims, restricting him to barely above average vampire levels of speed and strength, but when he does need to unleash his big gun he's allowed to gorge on the inhabitants of prison-camp Metropolis to boost his powers.

Or he just lets him take a pint out of Starfire whenever he needs to take a sun-bath and charge up.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Have the same problem with Superman being "turned," but for me; it's not just about his solar energy, but the purity of his heart, his faithfulness, his altruistic soul would be an anthemia to the chiropterans. They should be backing away from him, as they would a cross, screaming, "woe is us, we are undone."

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    DC vs. Vampires: Hunters #1 Preview
    Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Neil Googe

Just realised that this cover is an homage to Tim and Bruce.

Fantastic Member

Did Martian Manhunter, Donna Troy, and Starfire make it out alive?

--jthree