Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    How do the characters live it out again without it being a Groundhog Day-like experience for them?
    It's not. It's like reincarnation. Now Diana remembers all of her previous lives, but she didn't at the time. And things are very different obviously, but of course some big things are happening for the second time, like her mother dying again

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, Diana came to "Man's World" in the late 1930s and became what we think of as "Golden Age" Wonder Woman, but Hippolyta also traveled back in time from the late 1990s to the early 1940s and also became the "Golden Age" Wonder Woman?
    In one life One thing happened. Then history was rewritten and it happened in a different way. Each of those reincarnations started with Diana forgetting her past life, but now after the last reboot, she remembers all the past versions of history as different lives.

It's only confusing if you forget that the universe literally restarted many times with everyone forgetting the past

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post

And even if your interpretation is correct, I still find that very messy. For instance, how can Diana remember when the Amazons were technologically advanced and not use that knowledge to advance them in the current timeline?
    To be fair, the amazons had flyong islands with spaceships and super computers and magic blockers in Phil Jimenez, and then Rucka destroyed the islands and all of a sudden the amazons no longer remembered how to make spaceships anymore. The only advanved tech they knew how to make was lasers

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Exactly. It's just stupid, really

Each of those Diana's wasn't really the same person with the same experiences.

I don't know why DC just can't stick with the Multiverse . They already said it continued to exist and splintered off new Earths to accommodate new realities. Plus it allows for tons of Dianas to exist and possibly interact.

Earth 2 ( proper Earth Two Golden Age Diana)
    Earth 1 ( now called Earth 1985. Proper Silver/Bronze Age Diana)
    Post Crisis Earth ( Perez continuity)
    Flashpoint Earth
    Earth 52 ( and all of that problematic stuff there)
    Rebirth Earth

Plus any/ all other continuities that reality shifting events cause.

Then there is no confusion or what does or doesn't exist in main continuity. As everything does, on it's own appropriate Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Oh no, I agree. I don't care much about the rest of the DCU but internal consistency within a run or at least character's own ongoing is all I need.

Stuff like remembering "past lives" is the eyerolling nonsense I don't care for in comics. Switching back and forth between "I started my career as WW in 1941, no 1987, no now it's 2011" is unnecessary. Or references to both Daddy Zeus and the clay origin in the same run.
    So which era if continuity wiuld you choose?
    What stories would you make canon?

I don't think the mess if continuity post crisis was good .

"Everything happened" has never been a smart approach.

I was fine with how Rucka initially depicted. That the Gods tested her with multiple lives.

But at this point, we need solid answers regarding the birth of Diana and the Amazons. Not just subtle nods and vague references to past continuities without giving away any details.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So which era if continuity wiuld you choose?
    What stories would you make canon?

I don't think the mess if continuity post crisis was good .
    The current continuity is on the current Earth. If there are elements from previous continuities that the ptb want in the new continuity, then they get reintroduced.

Much the way the post Crisis WW was reintroduced into that new continuity, with it's different versions of the origin, different Cheetah, etc

Each Diana from each of those Earths, if you go that route, have different details. The Silver/ Bronze Age Diana has no connection to the World War. She gave up her powers for a time, has a twin named Nubia, etc

The Golden Age Diana fought in the war, got her identity from Diana White. She married Steve, had a daughter, etc

Earth 52 's Diana was born of infidelity and lies. Those Amazons we're cruel. She liked to swing a sword around. She fell in love with Kal

Etc ....you don't have to make anything from a previous continuity part of the current.

I didn't look at the entirety of Diana's history ( reading comics in the 70s) and think that all of her previous continuity belonged to that version of Diana. Because that version of Diana was not the same as the version from Earth Two. Yes, similarities...but they lived different lives with different experiences.

In one life One thing happened. Then history was rewritten and it happened in a different way. Each of those reincarnations started with Diana forgetting her past life, but now after the last reboot, she remembers all the past versions of history as different lives.

It's only confusing if you forget that the universe literally restarted many times with everyone forgetting the past
    The reincarnation comparison is helpful for me to think through, thank you. Interpreting "everything happened" as literal makes my head hurt a little, but the idea of everything having happened in a sort of "past life" that is remembered now feels easier to conceive. It's reminding me of Moira over in the X-books.

What it does imply for me is that there is a current "life" and then a bunch of "past lives" that Diana remembers. I suppose the candidate for the current "life" would be the one most recent before the changes to continuity in Death Metal. I presume that would be Rebirth, and then everything before it is a "past life" that Diana remembers, that might shape how Diana feels differently about various characters. For example, she has the Rebirth lived history with Cheetah, but also remembers the history she had with her during (for example) the Perez years, or the Nu52. And that might influence how she feels about her now.

You may not have meant it that literally, though, but I think it presents a way of looking at things. I might be wrong, but over in the bat books isn't it the case that both Steph and Cass remember their past lives as Batgirls, and even though it "didn't happen" in this life, it has influenced them enough to take up the mantle again, and has changed their relationship with Barbara? I haven't read the Batgirls book yet so I could be wrong. I could see the same applying to Diana and Donna's relationship, where they can remember experiences as sisters so strongly from previous lives that it shapes how they relate now, even if those things didn't "happen" in "this life".

Yes that's a great example of one thing that can happen thanks to this.

I think she's aware there are past versions of her but the details are vague. Yet she can think up tangible aspects of those lives like souvenirs in her current one. For instance the horned helmet she wore as God of War that we saw her crush in early Rebirth still exists along side a Silver Age tiara and Perez era helmet. There are touchstones but the exact circumstances like the Bana once living on Themyscira are unknown.

They botched it as far back as Crisis on Infinite Earths. Afterwards, Wonder Woman rebooted, but Teen Titans didn't. As a result, Donna was now the senior superhero, not Diana (which is part of the reason she changed her codename to Troia, because Wonder Girl no longer made sense since she was no longer connected to Wonder Woman), and Donna and teammate Lilith both had their origins invalidated. Donna's history has been problematic ever since. New 52 then caused a similar problem for Cassie, Diana was given her origin, so Teen Titans eventually had to explain that she was Zeus's granddaughter, instead of daughter like it was pre-Flashpoint. That change has stuck, though a lot of the New 52 Teen Titans can no longer have happened because Rebirth undid Superboy's reboot and Tim Drake's backstory was reverted to his original one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They botched it as far back as Crisis on Infinite Earths. Afterwards, Wonder Woman rebooted, but Teen Titans didn't. As a result, Donna was now the senior superhero, not Diana (which is part of the reason she changed her codename to Troia, because Wonder Girl no longer made sense since she was no longer connected to Wonder Woman), and Donna and teammate Lilith both had their origins invalidated. Donna's history has been problematic ever since. New 52 then caused a similar problem for Cassie, Diana was given her origin, so Teen Titans eventually had to explain that she was Zeus's granddaughter, instead of daughter like it was pre-Flashpoint. That change has stuck, though a lot of the New 52 Teen Titans can no longer have happened because Rebirth undid Superboy's reboot and Tim Drake's backstory was reverted to his original one.
    Donna's been a problem ever since she first joined the Teen Titans because originally "Wonder Girl" was just a younger version of Diana, but the people who put her on the original Teen Titans didn't think about that little factoid . . .

It's not. It's like reincarnation. Now Diana remembers all of her previous lives, but she didn't at the time. And things are very different obviously, but of course some big things are happening for the second time, like her mother dying again
    I did not read the Death Metal event, but now that I’ve taken a look at the panels from Death Metal #7 that you posted in the other thread (thanks, btw) I have a better understanding of what DC is trying to do. At least I think so. However my interpretation is different from yours. The Golden Age Diana persona tells current Diana that “everything will be new to you…and us.” There is no indication that anyone will remember past lives. That’s actually a more prudent choice, if you ask me, in terms of storytelling going forward.
    Last edited by Largo161; 05-22-2022 at 09:29 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Donna's been a problem ever since she first joined the Teen Titans because originally "Wonder Girl" was just a younger version of Diana, but the people who put her on the original Teen Titans didn't think about that little factoid . . .
    Yeah, her very existence is an accident (they thought she was Diana's Robin, instead of her version of Superboy) but they fixed that with the "girl rescued from fire by Diana and adopted by Hippolyta" origin. Then Crisis ruined it for her. To be honest, if Titans had rebooted too, then Donna might have straight up been gone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Of course they don't remember everything, what this allows is to create a new status quo without having to do a restart like in the New 52.
    Now I don't know if that is open to what the writer wants or if there is some kind of mandate top by a publisher or whoever.
    In the case of the wonder family so far we have seen that the origin of Perez for the Amazons was re-established and invalidates (?) what was established by Rucka in Rebirth and it seems that Diana is hundreds of years old and came to our world in the early or mid-twentieth century . It has not been deepened further and everything (and everyone are) is very loose so far.