Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default "Everything happened" in re to WW

So partially inspired by a thread on the DC board, how do WW fans feel about DC's proclamation of "everything happened" in re to WW? Are you okay with certain events existing right along with other events that you absolutely abhor or would you prefer a single organized continuity even if it may not be to your liking?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'd prefer a unified timeline, the whole "everything happened" line sounds fine in concept, but it's a cheap way for writers to disregard things because it doesn't suit them. It works both ways. We'll get both clay and daddy Zeus, war woman and the peaceful pacifist, it's a cluttered mess. We already have to deal with all the characters in DC, Diana especially, being written in multiple different ways between books. I don't want a situation where the WW in JL is Zeus's daughter, but the WW in her own book is sculpted from clay.

Diana doesn't have enough stories or books that she is in that would justify having 5 different versions of the character.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

How can Cassie be Zeus's daughter and her granderfather at the same time? Same with Diana being born of clay and being born of flesh/blood.

The Amazons cant have interacted with the BANA AGES ago to the point where Artemis became WW but now that part is ignored and this is her first time really joining the Themiscryians.

It's those kinds of things that dont gel with what DC is wanting to sell. So yes, there needs to be an organized timeline even if I dont like some things.

Maybe there's some kind of commentary on myths and their various interpretations here...

What others have said it breaks down when one tries to start thinking about it for more than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    How can Cassie be Zeus's daughter and her granderfather at the same time? Same with Diana being born of clay and being born of flesh/blood.

The Amazons cant have interacted with the BANA AGES ago to the point where Artemis became WW but now that part is ignored and this is her first time really joining the Themiscryians.

It's those kinds of things that dont gel with what DC is wanting to sell. So yes, there needs to be an organized timeline even if I dont like some things.
    But that's not what "everything happened" means.

She remembers being born in the Golden Age and then time being rewritten many times, by gods, alien entities and cosmic unities. She remembers going through those various adventures, dying, coming back, Steve being older, younger, etc.

They are just memories from all the adventures she's had and how her relationships oscilated and how she herself changed. Except she knows her memory was reset multiple times and now all of it is back. And the same would probably apply to other characters remembering how their past was changed many times by the forces of time.

This isn't about their lives being fake, it's about them remembering all the things we as readers know happened.

And Wonder Woman is the perfect example of how you can't actually pick one single continuity for her because every past history of the character had huge blunders fans dislike, specially post crisis, and even Rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

She remembers being born in the Golden Age and then time being rewritten many times, by gods, alien entities and cosmic unities. She remembers going through those various adventures, dying, coming back, Steve being older, younger, etc.

They are just memories from all the adventures she's had and how her relationships oscilated and how she herself changed. Except she knows her memory was reset multiple times and now all of it is back. And the same would probably apply to other characters remembering how their past was changed many times by the forces of time.

This isn't about their lives being fake, it's about them remembering all the things we as readers know happened.

And Wonder Woman is the perfect example of how you can't actually pick one single continuity for her because every past history of the character had huge blunders fans dislike, specially post crisis, and even Rebirth
    Its exactly as I said. Im not going to try to put in every key word but remembering that Zeus is your former daddy but now he isnt is messy.

Remembering that your tribe once joined the Themiscryians but now they havent yet and are about to yet again, is stupid.

I didnt say anything about their lives being fake.

"I remember when time was rewritten and Zeus was made my father. I detested it. But the world was remade and I became once again the daughter of Hippolyta, sculpted by her hands"

This is what it means for Diana.

"There once was a history where the Bana joined the Themiscyrans. But the thread of destiny was broken, and now we must live it out once again"

Fate and stories are intrinsic the Greek Mythology that inspires so much of Wonder Woman stories. If you use the words "time and reboot" it sounds strange, but there's nothing out of step with the fantasy genre in these stories where history is rewritten.

I *think* I get the distinction you’re making. That is, all these things happened (some of which are completely contradictory), but since they didn’t happen simultaneously they can co-exist as memories. But has DC actually illustrated “in-universe” that Diana (or any character, for that matter) remembers everything? Honestly, the only place I’ve heard the declaration “it’s all canon now” is on these boards. So I’m not sure what it means in practice.

And even if your interpretation is correct, I still find that very messy. For instance, how can Diana remember when the Amazons were technologically advanced and not use that knowledge to advance them in the current timeline?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

"I remember when time was rewritten and Zeus was made my father. I detested it. But the world was remade and I became once again the daughter of Hippolyta, sculpted by her hands"

This is what it means for Diana.

"There once was a history where the Bana joined the Themiscyrans. But the thread of destiny was broken, and now we must live it out once again"

Fate and stories are intrinsic the Greek Mythology that inspires so much of Wonder Woman stories. If you use the words "time and reboot" it sounds strange, but there's nothing out of step with the fantasy genre in these stories where history is rewritten.
    How do the characters live it out again without it being a Groundhog Day-like experience for them?
    Last edited by Largo161; 05-21-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

If Artemis and Diana both remember that the Bana were once apart of Themiscryia then it should be a simple "hey sis! That went really well last time! Lets do that again!" and not wait for a meeting for immortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    How do the characters live it out again without it being a Groundhog Day-like experience for them?
    Exactly. It's just stupid, really

Each of those Diana's wasn't really the same person with the same experiences.

I don't know why DC just can't stick with the Multiverse . They already said it continued to exist and splintered off new Earths to accommodate new realities. Plus it allows for tons of Dianas to exist and possibly interact.

Earth 2 ( proper Earth Two Golden Age Diana)
    Earth 1 ( now called Earth 1985. Proper Silver/Bronze Age Diana)
    Post Crisis Earth ( Perez continuity)
    Flashpoint Earth
    Earth 52 ( and all of that problematic stuff there)
    Rebirth Earth

Plus any/ all other continuities that reality shifting events cause.

Then there is no confusion or what does or doesn't exist in main continuity. As everything does, on it's own appropriate Earth.

So, Diana came to "Man's World" in the late 1930s and became what we think of as "Golden Age" Wonder Woman, but Hippolyta also traveled back in time from the late 1990s to the early 1940s and also became the "Golden Age" Wonder Woman?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    What others have said it breaks down when one tries to start thinking about it for more than a minute.
    Tbf, that's been the DC universe status since COIE. It's gotten exponentially worse since because they keep picking at the scab, but that's the root caus if it (and things weren't always consistent even before).

I'm past the point of caring. If it gets us clay birth references here and there, it can't be all bad. As long as a comic run remains internally consistent with itself, and remains a satisfying overall read, I don't care what happens around or after it. I might not be inclined to spend money on those other books to read them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Tbf, that's been the DC universe status since COIE. It's gotten exponentially worse since because they keep picking at the scab, but that's the root caus if it (and things weren't always consistent even before).

I'm past the point of caring. If it gets us clay birth references here and there, it can't be all bad. As long as a comic run remains internally consistent with itself, and remains a satisfying overall read, I don't care what happens around or after it. I might not be inclined to spend money on those other books to read them anyway
    Oh no, I agree. I don't care much about the rest of the DCU but internal consistency within a run or at least character's own ongoing is all I need.

Stuff like remembering "past lives" is the eyerolling nonsense I don't care for in comics. Switching back and forth between "I started my career as WW in 1941, no 1987, no now it's 2011" is unnecessary. Or references to both Daddy Zeus and the clay origin in the same run.