Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    In the case of the wonder family so far we have seen that the origin of Perez for the Amazons was re-established and invalidates (?) what was established by Rucka in Rebirth and it seems that Diana is hundreds of years old and came to our world in the early or mid-twentieth century.
    How does it invalidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    How does it invalidate?
    Establishing a new status quo? In this case in the origin of the Amazons and the age of Diana.

What status quo? And what about Diana's age?

I like the approach Morrison took in their Batman run. “Everything happened,” but the details might have been vastly different depending on the story they were trying to tell. It let them play with Batman characters, concepts and history in a new way that made sense within their run (e.g. Kathy Kane, Batwoman, Batmen of All Nations, Batman Inc., etc.)

Their run made intrinsic sense and they added to the greater Batverse.

I’ve read comics for a long time and while it’d be fun for continuity line up perfectly, it’s just not possible with so many characters and so many ideas over the course of so much time in a shared universe crossing multiple forms of media. Having some broad strokes of a character’s continuity defined is enough for me and I try to focus more on the story being told versus making sure all the continuity makes perfect sense. I’ve tossed out the term “loose” continuity for this in the past and use my suspension of disbelief liberally when needed.

(Heck, even my own continuity doesn’t make perfect sense - I remember situations and things differently than someone else in my life or I’ve forgotten things others have remembered about my life.)

That said, it all depends on where you derive your pleasure from reading comics.

I have also given up trying to fit everything into a perfect continuity, it reminds me of the main character in Stephen King's novel Misery, it can lead you to a madness that prevents you from really enjoying something you like.
    And if that becomes a problem you can't deal with, well you should give up reading comics anymore. I mean, this is what there is now.
    What Crisis on Infinite Earths tried to achieve was for a specific moment, now the reality that suits those who dictate the rules is different and that's how we are.

What status quo? And what about Diana's age?

Establishing a new status quo? In this case in the origin of the Amazons and the age of Diana.
    Themyscira and Bana Migdhall's current history was established in Rebirth specially around Orlando's run. Diana's age doesn't seem to have changed either since Rebirth.

I'm not trolling I don't understand what contradiction you see

Themyscira and Bana Migdhall's current history was established in Rebirth specially around Orlando's run. Diana's age doesn't seem to have changed either since Rebirth.

I'm not trolling I don't understand what contradiction you see
    I didn't know that the origin of the well of souls was established in Rebirth, in what numbers? I would have to read it again.
    And according to Rebirth Diana came to the world of men along with Steve Trevor where Diana would be in her twenties, and it is not what is established now.
    But I don't stick to my words that's why I put the "?" right next to invalidate, because if all stories matter, how would you invalidate anything, right?

I didn't know that the origin of the well of souls was established in Rebirth, in what numbers? I would have to read it again.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the post Crisis had a cavern of souls which was situated in the underworld. That's where all the victimize women came from before they were born from the sea onto man's world and became all the amazons from post crisis. None of this was referenced nor contradicted in Rebirth as far as I know, so maybe it had happened or maybe it hadn't.

Last Year in Nubia And The Amazons we learned about the Well of Souls which established for the first time that it was possible for other women to become amazons over the centuries, long after the gods created the race, and after Hippolyta and her people left man's world and came to the island. And this was done also through reincarnation, not by risong from the sea but by rising from a well which Magala watches over.

Some things that Rebirth established was the Bana Migdhall existing again, lead by Farruka (who I believe was a new character) and Hippolyta's sister Antiope (who separated from the Themyscirans and created the new mortal tribe like in Post Crisis.

And according to Rebirth Diana came to the world of men along with Steve Trevor where Diana would be in her twenties, and it is not what is established now.
    Yes Rebirth established that Diana came to this world in her twenties with Steve Trevor. And that 10 years had passed since then (which means she would be in her thirties).

Cloonrad has kept Diana's relationshil with this young Steve, so it seems like nothing has changed. She should still be the same age. The only reference to her being older that I know of was in the annual where tour guide mentioned her comong here "generations ago". They haven't defined what this means. But they also showed panels of her Kung fu era in issue 780 so there's a chance that this is a reference to "everything happened, just like the museum in Justice League that showed all the differemt origins the League has had since the 60s.

As I told you I would have to read it again but it is not what is explained in number 2 and 12 of Ruckas run nor in the Odyssey of the Amazons, in fact I think that not even Hippolyta is the first queen of the amazons but I could be wrong . The fact, is that the cavern was never referenced again until it was established in Nubia with the well (which for me is more or less the same, in Historia they call it Well of the Lost) I also don't remember how much of the new 52 remained in force considering that rebirth is a soft reboot.
    Regarding Diana's age, the same thing happens with her origin, we have things here and there that she seems to want to go in one direction without being blunt about it.

. . . Yes Rebirth established that Diana came to this world in her twenties with Steve Trevor. And that 10 years had passed since then (which means she would be in her thirties) . . .
    And Wonder Woman #750 (in 2020) had Diana at the New York World's Fair in 1939, so where does that leave Steve Trevor now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And Wonder Woman #750 (in 2020) had Diana at the New York World's Fair in 1939, so where does that leave Steve Trevor now?
    that particular story was referenced as canon by multiple sites and as the new timeline for Diana by DC execs. At that time Dan Didio, established her as the first super heroine.

that particular story was referenced as canon by multiple sites and as the new timeline for Diana by DC execs. At that time Dan Didio, established her as the first super heroine.
    The story that preveded Scott Snyder's in the special was set in DC Bombshell continuity. And none if the other ones have been referenced again (sadly, since I love Star-Blossom)

And it being approved by Dan Didio is irrelevant since it was part of his new 5G timeline, and that was thrown down the drain.

It has yet to be referenced again

. . . And it being approved by Dan Didio is irrelevant since it was part of his new 5G timeline, and that was thrown down the drain.

It has yet to be referenced again
    So, "EVERYTHING HAPPENED" in main continuity has exceptions?!?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

As long as it fits that persons personal head canon. Even if everything is canon

Everything Happened is about previous Mainstream continuities. The stories from the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Post Crisis, Infinite Crisis, New 52, Rebirth.

It's not about stories that were never in continuity