Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

For example,

Justice League New Frontier is a great story, and it mostly follows the Silver Age continuity, but of course Diana doesn't remember those events since they were never in the mainstream universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Everything Happened is about previous Mainstream continuities. The stories from the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Post Crisis, Infinite Crisis, New 52, Rebirth.

It's not about stories that were never in continuity
    But who says that story in Wonder Woman #750 with Diana at New York World's Fair in 1939 was NEVER in continuity?

Has DC ever officially proclaimed that?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who says that story in Wonder Woman #750 with Diana at New York World's Fair in 1939 was NEVER in continuity?

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't a major retcon like that in an anniversary special with other non continuity stories have to be confirmed within canon stories pre Death Metal?

It really doesn't matter anymore with the current status quo since some people should be able go remember her Golden Age adventures

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't a major retcon like that in an anniversary special with other non continuity stories have to be confirmed within canon stories pre Death Metal?

It really doesn't matter anymore with the current status quo since some people should be able go remember her Golden Age adventures
    It doesn't matter if you use the term retcon or not, because the powers that are the DC editors at large have already stated that everything is legit. It's only up to the author to decide what he wants to use. Instead of using characters from different earths, they decided to group them altogether which is another reason why DC is headed to the crapper.

How easy would it have been to give these new runs like nu52 their own earth instead of saying that everything is canon? Monumentally stupid. Any dumb blonde joke that you can think of needs to be applied to the DC editors and higher ups. No offense to any blondes (of which I am one).

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It doesn't matter if you use the term retcon or not, because the powers that are the DC editors at large have already stated that everything is legit. It's only up to the author to decide what he wants to use.
    Once again, that's not what "Everything happened" means.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Once again, that's not what "Everything happened" means.
    It just depends on the writer and what they want to use. So, yes, everything has happened with respect to what the author is using. Another writer that comes later might use something that directly contradicts what we just read.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I did not read the Death Metal event, but now that I’ve taken a look at the panels from Death Metal #7 that you posted in the other thread (thanks, btw) I have a better understanding of what DC is trying to do. At least I think so. However my interpretation is different from yours. The Golden Age Diana persona tells current Diana that “everything will be new to you…and us.” There is no indication that anyone will remember past lives. That’s actually a more prudent choice, if you ask me, in terms of storytelling going forward.
    The part where people remembering past lives is in the epilogue, when Barry is talking to Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Of course they don't remember everything, what this allows is to create a new status quo without having to do a restart like in the New 52.
    Now I don't know if that is open to what the writer wants or if there is some kind of mandate top by a publisher or whoever.
    In the case of the wonder family so far we have seen that the origin of Perez for the Amazons was re-established and invalidates (?) what was established by Rucka in Rebirth and it seems that Diana is hundreds of years old and came to our world in the early or mid-twentieth century . It has not been deepened further and everything (and everyone are) is very loose so far.
    Jim lee said when Infinite Frontier began that they will focus more on character than continuity. All the methods to make everything canon, Omniverse, Metaverse, Hypertime, Memories, and Speed Force are all methods to explain things should inconsistency arise, for those who require an explanation.

So a writer can choose not to utilize Past Memories if they don't want to, especially since Infinite Frontier hinted that not everyone got their memory back.

Since what is canon in the current continuity is what is written in flashbacks or mentions by current writers, it can be either

Until it's clarified, my way is simply to use logic and elimination. If Steve is currently Rebirth's age and almost all mainstream Wonder Woman origin involved him as the reason Diana came to man's world, then Diana didn't come to America in 1939.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    All the methods to make everything canon, Omniverse, Metaverse, Hypertime, Memories, and Speed Force are all methods to explain things should inconsistency arise, for those who require an explanation.

So a writer can choose not to utilize Past Memories if they don't want to, especially since Infinite Frontier hinted that not everyone got their memory back.
    This is actually kind of brilliant. This also helps validate my own head canon even more.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It just depends on the writer and what they want to use. So, yes, everything has happened with respect to what the author is using. Another writer that comes later might use something that directly contradicts what we just read.
    Like how Deva still existed after Diana's origin was changed to being a demi-goddess.... how was Deva born if the magic clay didn't exist?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Like how Deva still existed after Diana's origin was changed to being a demi-goddess.... how was Deva born if the magic clay didn't exist?
    Magical mischievous demi goddess themself?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Isn't Donna made of magic clay at the moment?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Isn't Donna made of magic clay at the moment?
    Oh yeah, so the magical clay is still canon, just that Diana isn't made of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Magical mischievous demi goddess themself?
    Hmm one idea is that maybe Deva was simply breathed into life by the Titans. I mean, do they really NEED magic clay? Well, sort of.

In a way Diana is Deva's mother. Diana added a bit of her own blood to the clay used to make Deva. So that Deva would be tainted with the ability to do good. She's not bound to do the will of her creators.... she just wanted to... at first. Not sure she still does. She's been hanging out with Humans recently.

Wait... does this mean Deva now has Zeus's blood flowing in her veins?

. . . Since what is canon in the current continuity is what is written in flashbacks or mentions by current writers, it can be either

Until it's clarified, my way is simply to use logic and elimination. If Steve is currently Rebirth's age and almost all mainstream Wonder Woman origin involved him as the reason Diana came to man's world, then Diana didn't come to America in 1939.
    But then, what was the point of having that story in the first place now? I know it was to set up where things were to have gone for 5G, but it feels like a cheat to ignore it sat this date.

Then again, it sometimes feels like DC doesn't give a damn about redefining/clarifying their Golden Age history in a way that will be useful.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

But then, what was the point of having that story in the first place now? I know it was to set up where things were to have gone for 5G, but it feels like a cheat to ignore it sat this date.

Then again, it sometimes feels like DC doesn't give a damn about redefining/clarifying their Golden Age history in a way that will be useful.
    I don't know, but it also just my guess.

For example, by logic an elimination I concluded that Jon Kent was born before Tim Drake became Robin, but it turns out not to be the case. At least presumably, based on unlettered preview of Dark Crisis flashback.

So likewise, WW can still be debuting in 1939, and there's no explanation.

. . . For example, by logic an elimination I concluded that Jon Kent was born before Tim Drake became Robin, but it turns out not to be the case. At least presumably, based on unlettered preview of Dark Crisis flashback. . .
    Jon Kent wasn't introduced (born) until Convergence back in 2015.

He was still a much younger kid when he started appearing regularly during Rebirth, probably closer in age to Damian than he was to Tim.

But after that, BENDIS came along and completely screwed over the Superman line . . .