Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I mean.... are we sure that's not canon?
    Yes. It's only headcanon for people butthurt since years here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just have Krakoa itself turn out to be evil and manipulating everyone.
    That is what I suspected was the initial prophecy by Destiny , but Hickman was probably dissuaded from going down this route.

If they did just get rid of the island, I doubt mutants would want to totally go back to how their lives were before. They could probably go with Jean's idea of a "mutant nation without borders" from X-Men Red, which didn't totally make sense to me but I guess could be a good middle ground between what we currently have and what existed before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    If they did just get rid of the island, I doubt mutants would want to totally go back to how their lives were before. They could probably go with Jean's idea of a "mutant nation without borders" from X-Men Red, which didn't totally make sense to me but I guess could be a good middle ground between what we currently have and what existed before.
    In case Krakoa is the villain,I figure the organic way would be if Krakoa itself provided regenerative/resurrective capabilities for mutants ,because it is a sentient mutant food farm.In such a scenario some of the mutants more desperate for the fringe benefit of immortality would cling to Krakoa being their haven(even if it is revealed that Krakoa exerts mental influence too) while others would naturally leave the island coz they don't want to be beholden to some entity that is basically a glorified saprophyte. So it would trigger a proper schism. Alas I think the writers have other plans.

Astonishing Member

I don't think that would be enough. Hickman's massive retcon has dug extremely deep into the foundation of the X-men and their established history that one can't just ignore everything done and established by revealing that everyone was manipulated by a sentient island the whole time.

Otherwise it would stretch the willing suspension of disbelief even of super hero comic readers too much how everything retconned in could be gone again without any traces or effect on the universe.

At this point only a(nother) partial universe reboot could still get things back to a status quo closer to what most people imagine under the X-men name, but it would also frustratingly make the entire few recent years of stories pointless.

Though if the universe gets rebooted directly or if just certain chains of events are revealed to have been a fake world or memory is up to the writer.

Overall it's kind of a damned if they do (because it once again shows how little lore, history or investment in the comics matter) and damned if they don't (because the current direction has no achievable goal) situation at this point.

Hickman let the Djinn out of the bottle and allready asked 2 wishes before leaving and now we are left with the uncertain future it created.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    In case Krakoa is the villain,I figure the organic way would be if Krakoa itself provided regenerative/resurrective capabilities for mutants ,because it is a sentient mutant food farm.In such a scenario some of the mutants more desperate for the fringe benefit of immortality would cling to Krakoa being their haven(even if it is revealed that Krakoa exerts mental influence too) while others would naturally leave the island coz they don't want to be beholden to some entity that is basically a glorified saprophyte. So it would trigger a proper schism. Alas I think the writers have other plans.
    That certainly sounds like an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    See I kind of what an all or nothing. If the main X-Men leave and are doing their thing at the mansion and Krakoa is left with the stragglers we’ll just have another Genosha situation and before we know it all those mutants are getting killed off.

Though to be honest I probably won’t stick around for a full-on back to basics regardless. Not because the comics afterwards will automatically be bad, but the cyclical nature of comics gets to be a bit much sometimes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    See I kind of what an all or nothing. If the main X-Men leave and are doing their thing at the mansion and Krakoa is left with the stragglers we’ll just have another Genosha situation and before we know it all those mutants are getting killed off.

Though to be honest I probably won’t stick around for a full-on back to basics regardless. Not because the comics afterwards will automatically be bad, but the cyclical nature of comics gets to be a bit much sometimes.
    Me neither, I won't get into the back to basics cycle, there's just no novelty there.

As for Krakoa being a danger ,I think it will play out differently because writers already have the 5 and the protocols so it will have to be a different scenario than I laid out. My honest bet is either Doug's T-O/Krakoa synthesis is going to backfire down the line linking us back to the Phalanx threat, or this cancerous 'no -place' tease may be the way to reveal that it ain't all peachy with Krakoa especially since Moira fell ill all of a sudden once she was exiled.

As for mutants getting killed off, my hunch has always been that it will be the Arraki, they will be expendable to show either a cosmic threat or raise stakes for some event.Apart from that we won't have any more cullings.
    Last edited by Rev9; 05-26-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They could have a breakaway team that wants to get out of the mutant supremacist/cult and hide out and use the X Mansion as their headquarters.
    Ooo. I’d read that.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I mean.... are we sure that's not canon?
    Of course it’s not canon. It can easily become canon, but as of right now, in no way, shape or form is it canon.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    This isn't true, it's never been true and it never will be true.

That's just your headcanon of this era.
    Of course it’s true. It doesn’t mean there’s no morale code anymore. But does mean that race trumps that right now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I don't think that would be enough. Hickman's massive retcon has dug extremely deep into the foundation of the X-men and their established history that one can't just ignore everything done and established by revealing that everyone was manipulated by a sentient island the whole time.

Otherwise it would stretch the willing suspension of disbelief even of super hero comic readers too much how everything retconned in could be gone again without any traces or effect on the universe.

At this point only a(nother) partial universe reboot could still get things back to a status quo closer to what most people imagine under the X-men name, but it would also frustratingly make the entire few recent years of stories pointless.

Though if the universe gets rebooted directly or if just certain chains of events are revealed to have been a fake world or memory is up to the writer.

Overall it's kind of a damned if they do (because it once again shows how little lore, history or investment in the comics matter) and damned if they don't (because the current direction has no achievable goal) situation at this point.

Hickman let the Djinn out of the bottle and allready asked 2 wishes before leaving and now we are left with the uncertain future it created.
    Current direction does have a goal. The same goal the X-Men have always been about... Giving mutants acceptance and a home.

To the answer the question, yes, it is. In my opinion, Krakoa has caused a situation where a certain many characters have had their personalities and ideals warped to suit Hickman's/the editor's vision. I think if some of these characters were written truer to their long-established characterization, Krakoa would either not exist or it would exist in a different form. As things are now, I think the opportunity for an interesting character study with the X-Men and mutants can be unearthed from a shattering of Krakoa, but I don't think any current editors or writers at Marvel have a desire to go in and write a deep, heartfelt love letter to the 80's-00's X-Men. Perhaps, it's only the dream of fanfic...
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 05-27-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Exactatiously.
    Any possible narrative loophole that HiX-Man would have set up (with Moira before he changed his mind and intent) is off the table now and entirely in the hands of current writers all of whom who are very much invested in plotting where this Karkoa era can go to even consider resetting "back to basics".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Is It Possible for The X-Men To Go Back to Basics?

Anything is possible, but I don't think marvel will.
    I, for one, would like to see it happen.