Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

At this point "back to basics" would be a downgrade of tragic proportions.

Is it possible? Maybe.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    At this point "back to basics" would be a downgrade of tragic proportions.

Is it possible? Maybe.
    Or back to basics: Xavier, Beast, Jean, Cyclops, Angel, Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    At least someone keeping it real. All white = basics. Cause I'm still trying to figure out why the same people don't have a problem with Morrison run when he literally had covers calling the extinction date for the homo sapiens and that was 2005. Looking before krakoa. And he had supremacist behaviour littered in his book.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    You mean?…

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I want marvel to go back to bascis and feel like a shared universe where heroes care about each other despite the hickups that may come with that. To this day no one can tell me the avengers of old wouldn't have been the first to show up, well second after the FF if the x-lawn was being occupied by people trying to hurt mutant kids. So perhaps the back to basics needs to be the synergy of it not being hero vs hero for almost every event. It wasn't like a switched turned over night and people were suddenly only supporting certain segments of marvel. it was purposeful.

Krakoa is no different than Latervia, or Wakanda, or any of the other imaginary places in the MU.
    I can and would tell you that the Avengers and FF of old would not be there to help if the front lawn of the school was overrun with people aiming to hurt the mutants. Mostly because of the fact that the school back then was just home to the X-Men and the school concept was a Morrison’s concept.

But let’s say Morrison’s concept took place MUCH earlier. Logically, the teams wouldn’t show up until after the damage was already done. Both teams are always remarkably busy with threats much larger or more personal to them. It’s just a simple fact of how life works, where being in the vicinity of convenience alerts people of what’s going on with others. Think back to these times:

•The Dark Phoenix Saga had the Avengers away on a mission with only Beast available to the X-Men, despite the Dark Phoenix being a universal threat and the Fantastic Four……Reed was running diagnostics still??????

•When Apocalypse attacked New York the first time around, only Power Pack came around to help in that endeavor as X-Factor dealt with Apocalypse. X-Factor had to go days without sleep to help with emergency disaster efforts as the other heroes were nowhere to be seen.

•Magneto has attacked the school multiple times. I am pretty certain no help came at any point from anybody.

•The Onslaught Saga, where the X-Mansion was destroyed. Had Nate Grey not went to find the Avengers, they would not have gone to visit the X-Men and known of Onslaught’s existence.

This is me being completely fair to every team and hero out there regarding the shared universe they had back in the older times. The truth about it though is that, just as the X-Men were absent for Galactus’ multiple visits, so were every other hero absent to the X-Men’s endangerment and a school full of children would not have done much to change that. The responsibilities are vast and the heroes now would have the same feelings as they would have back then. They would come to help the second anyone called (see Jean Grey calling the Avengers in X-Men: Red), but the issue is that their jobs cover more than just protecting the general public as much as the X-Men’s jobs cover more than just human-mutant relations.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I also don't get the idea that people need to see EVERY mutant or every mutant needs a story line. communities need people, this is a community of mutants. We don't see every wakandian, or every new yorker, or every person in latervia. It's really werid. I think if someone did a deep dive psychological dig on peoples view of the x-men and how that attaches to personal views and biases marvel and disney would actually be stunned. Or how much they let those ordering dictate their story rather than what the fans really want.
    Agree whole-heartedly.

I personally want a more nuanced view of the mutants from the general public. Not necessarily changing the fear and hate, but tempering it down a good chunk from the whole world with some speckles of quiet tolerance to something more balanced. If we want a reflection of the real world in our comics, people would logically be hearing stories from mutants of their lives with movies about protagonist mutants shaping perceptions like they do for us today.

In that way, there would at least be more accepting attitudes from the younger generation where the older generation would be more resistant to bigoted while others would be more understanding. There would be in-fighting among humans about how cruel the view points of the past were to mutants while others would point out the damage they would do are astronomically more likely than any terrorist with a bomb or gun. Both would be extreme viewpoints, with neither side completely right or wrong. At the end of the day, there should be a level of acceptance to give the heroes hope to keep going.

Like when I did my fan fiction of the X-Men, I had Xavier and Beast at a rally with Nightcrawler and the majority were bigots or just cowering in fear of a Sentinel that showed up. To display the Hope Xavier felt, I had Kurt (who was not an X-Man yet) speak to Beast about his perception of people being misguided, but not something Kurt holds against them. In that, Spider-Man shows up to help Nightcrawler and Beast against the Sentinel and Xavier telepathically guides Beasts attention to two kids marveling at the mutants fighting alongside well-known hero, Spider-Man, to show hope for the younger generation is there.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Agree whole-heartedly.

I personally want a more nuanced view of the mutants from the general public. Not necessarily changing the fear and hate, but tempering it down a good chunk from the whole world with some speckles of quiet tolerance to something more balanced. If we want a reflection of the real world in our comics, people would logically be hearing stories from mutants of their lives with movies about protagonist mutants shaping perceptions like they do for us today.

In that way, there would at least be more accepting attitudes from the younger generation where the older generation would be more resistant to bigoted while others would be more understanding. There would be in-fighting among humans about how cruel the view points of the past were to mutants while others would point out the damage they would do are astronomically more likely than any terrorist with a bomb or gun. Both would be extreme viewpoints, with neither side completely right or wrong. At the end of the day, there should be a level of acceptance to give the heroes hope to keep going.

Like when I did my fan fiction of the X-Men, I had Xavier and Beast at a rally with Nightcrawler and the majority were bigots or just cowering in fear of a Sentinel that showed up. To display the Hope Xavier felt, I had Kurt (who was not an X-Man yet) speak to Beast about his perception of people being misguided, but not something Kurt holds against them. In that, Spider-Man shows up to help Nightcrawler and Beast against the Sentinel and Xavier telepathically guides Beasts attention to two kids marveling at the mutants fighting alongside well-known hero, Spider-Man, to show hope for the younger generation is there.
    Yeah, in the old days the general public didn't really care. scared of getting blown up was more an issue than scared of people who are "different".

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    With the whole Krakoa and Arrako thing, is it possible for the X-Men to return to their previous status quo?
    I mean return back to the X-Mansion, Gold and Blue teams and cetera?
    If the sales keep tanking and Marvel stays bullish on certain creators they may have no choice.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

So if marvel doesn't play ball with what the shops want? Think digital marvel. 2500 locations vs. millions of hands, and freedom to actually tell the stories a handful are telling you "nobody wants" it's no suprise to me at all Xmen did much better digitally than other franchises. These shops starting to sound like China to Disney. "Edit your movie or no release." Time to clap back Marvel.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

I don't like the digital options we have, other than indie comics that allow DRM free downloads to use with any viewer app of your choice. And comixology/Amazon had that downgrade recently.

Not to say the direct market doesn't have downsides. I like getting trade paperbacks myself. Either way, there are pros and cons to every aspect of the business side. Hopefully like a TV network that lets a good show stay on with middle ratings, Marvel lets creative teams stay on books longer with more creative freedom.

On the basics thing, there are a few angles to that. One is, the current Krakoa story was intended to end at some point by Hickman. And it may well end at some point, in a few years. I think wherever X-Men's home base is, it's really about the life story of these characters.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 05-30-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    If the sales keep tanking and Marvel stays bullish on certain creators they may have no choice.
    Where is the evidence that sales are tanking?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Agree whole-heartedly.

Having mutant celebrities doesn't get rid of racism. There are plenty of racist people who love football even though the majority of the league is black. Don't confuse celebrities being celebrated with suddenly their views about the celebrities race, religion, sexual orientation changing.

Remember some people don't even think mutants should exist because it is just a "medical disease" that should be fixed
    This is difficult because of the sliding time scale. We don't really know how much time has past with a lot of the major events. Like Magneto ripping up New York or the asteroid M. China aborting mutant children. Quire's public outburst on world leaders. Heck even during this era there were mutants being hunted and controlled by different people and governments. It wasn't too long ago the Academy X kids were blown up in a bus. So to act like there is some huge difference between generations on their views on mutants wouldn't fit.

Sure you will get kids like the Children of the Atom kids that like mutants but to act like the majority are just super pro mutant like come on now far too much as happened to show the opposite.

The mutants are not just normal humans with super powers. They are a marginalized group hated for their difference from the majority. How they react to that reality is what their stories are about. So you are never going to get this color blind MU world.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, in the old days the general public didn't really care. scared of getting blown up was more an issue than scared of people who are "different".
    True, that’s my basic. I didn’t care if it was realistic or not: the stories were pleasant and varied.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    True, that’s my basic. I didn’t care if it was realistic or not: the stories were pleasant and varied.
    Honestly? the old way was more realistic IMO. Just think about it, why would the general public care so much about WHY people have powers? Which would scare you more, the Hulk or a kid who glows in the dark? In the old days the reason for Mutants being feared was the idea of Mutants being dangerous.... which also goes for Gamma mutates.

There is the idea that the neighbor kid who glows in the dark might develop more.... potent abilities later in life, but that's a potential future problem, not a current present problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Honestly? the old way was more realistic IMO. Just think about it, why would the general public care so much about WHY people have powers? Which would scare you more, the Hulk or a kid who glows in the dark? In the old days the reason for Mutants being feared was the idea of Mutants being dangerous.... which also goes for Gamma mutates.

There is the idea that the neighbor kid who glows in the dark might develop more.... potent abilities later in life, but that's a potential future problem, not a current present problem.
    Given the sheer level of "The world is on the brink of destruction... is it Tuesday already?" of the Marvel universe it beggars belief people could be so discerning; you'd either be in a constant state of hyper vigilance against any possible threat, or just numb at this point.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!