Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is It Possible for The X-Men To Go Back to Basics?

With the whole Krakoa and Arrako thing, is it possible for the X-Men to return to their previous status quo?
    I mean return back to the X-Mansion, Gold and Blue teams and cetera?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    With the whole Krakoa and Arrako thing, is it possible for the X-Men to return to their previous status quo?
    "Is It Possible for The X-Men To Go Back to Basic"

Fantastic Member

There's always a way. The Blue/Gold era came out of the Outback era, which undid a lot of status quo shifts Claremont had set up, ultimately, so yes it's possible.

Should they? Given all the disappointment revolving around any x-comic that homages that era, at some point it's important to let things move forward.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It is possible, and perhaps inevitable because if there's one thing Marvel is consistent about is editors and writers wanting to bring back the status quo to exactly how it was in their childhood, even if requires a deal with the devil.

Should they? **** no!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It is possible, and perhaps inevitable because if there's one thing Marvel is consistent about is editors and writers wanting to bring back the status quo to exactly how it was in their childhood, even if requires a deal with the devil.

Should they? **** no!
    This. It's always possible but for me that ship has sailed.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

They can always just take back the mansion and set up the school, without getting rid of Krakoa. Or heck, make a school on Krakoa. A good thing about Krakoa is that the premise is flexible, so we won't have to go backwards and undo any sort of progress.

But the teams wouldn't be blue and gold. They'd be red and black.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Fantastic Member

Come to think of it, X-Men summer, fall, winter and spring could be very interesting teams (patterned after the Quiet Council, obvs).

Astonishing Member

Personaly i wouldn't want to see them anywhere close to their previous status quo of the previous 22 years. One somewhat closer in spirit to their status quos 30 or 40 years ago though...

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    They can always just take back the mansion and set up the school, without getting rid of Krakoa. Or heck, make a school on Krakoa. A good thing about Krakoa is that the premise is flexible, so we won't have to go backwards and undo any sort of progress.

But the teams wouldn't be blue and gold. They'd be red and black.
    Or a forgotten military base in south east assia, a cloaked asteroid in orbit, a subterran city ruin of a long forgotten civilization underneath the south american jungle, a small town in Alaska, a freighter anchored at Iceland and so on. There is no need to go back to the school directly or even have a larger student body (as looking back that ultimately did no one any good, neither the students nor the X-men)

Though for me back to basics, would mean for them to be a dedicated small team of people who actualy feel like friends, family or comrades in arms again, rather than a bunch business managers types, who's occasional human interactions mostly bring up the actual personal connections and interactions they should have from the time they were at their "basic".
    Likewise fighting the good fights in the small circle of control and power they can extend and move across the world. Hence any problem or escalation would come from their absence and inability to be anywhere at once, rather than complete incompentence, inability to actualy use the massive resources at their disposale and lazy writing.

In that regard i could absolutely see them going back to basic eventualy.
    Last edited by Grunty; 05-21-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Personaly i wouldn't want to see them anywhere close to their previous status quo of the previous 22 years. One somewhat closer in spirit to their status quos 30 or 40 years ago though...

Or a forgotten military base in south east assia, a cloaked asteroid in orbit, a subterran city ruin of a long forgotten civilization underneath the south american jungle, a small town in Alaska, a freighter anchored at Iceland and so on. There is no need to go back to the school directly or even have a larger student body (as looking back that ultimately did no one any good, neither the students nor the X-men)

Though for me back to basics, would mean for them to be a dedicated small team of people who actualy feel like friends, family or comrades in arms again, rather than a bunch business managers types, who's occasional human interactions mostly bring up the actual personal connections and interactions they should have from the time they were at their "basic".
    Likewise fighting the good fights in the small circle of control and power they can extend and move across the world. Hence any problem or escalation would come from their absence and inability to be anywhere at once, rather than complete incompentence, inability to actualy use the massive resources at their disposale and lazy writing.

In that regard i could absolutely see them going back to basic eventualy.
    I feel much the same. I didn't make having a "new generation" of mutants every (our time) decade. But when it suddenly turned into a large student body it lost some of its appeal to me. What was the point of that if you were really only going to focus on a dozen or less individuals. But I don't really define that as basics anyways.

The "core" X-Men have grown and established themselves past the point of being able to fit into 1 or even 2 teams. Yes, you could always pare it down to fit that, but you'd end up with characters that you'd feel "should" be on a book somewhere that aren't. I think in terms of teams the 90's set up of 6 teams (X-Men/UXM/X-Factor/X-Force/Generation X/Excalibur) hit it about right. Every book (except the intertwining two main X-Men books) felt like it had a very distinct purpose as well. In terms of numbers of books I honestly don't think you can get lower than that number anymore without. Again, it's not impossible, but you'll end with fairly well known characters without a book at all, and without a reason for not being in a book.

In terms of theme, I like Krakoa in general, and I love the more cosmic aspects of it and Arrako. I'm not a fan of the resurrection process and I'm not a fan of "all mutants are one" type of mindset where pretty much any of their enemies is welcome as long as they don't break the three laws. But in terms of their own country, their own culture and their own government, I like it. I think at some point it will fall, which is part of what makes it interesting is how, and we will go back to a smaller scale. I just don't know if it will actually be back to basics.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

There's no need to go back, head forward is always the best. Sounds cheesey, but is a fact. Also in this case.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's possible in the way anything in comics is possible but...it would be one hell of a gawd-awful, giant leaps back-regression to the 80's X-Men.
    What I love about this Krakoa Era is that it feels like the X-Genie escaped then gleefully turned the bottle to dust and scattered half in the Sahara desert and half in the Atlantic ocean.

As others have said they can certainly incorporate 80's/90's elements into this modern era...XMGold operating out of New York and XMBlue, out of San Francisco...Have an actual School(s) for the youngsters on Island (I do think this is imperative)...but a wholesale return?
    I don't think anybody really wants that (apart from the two die-hard nostalgics lurking somewhere...and they can just go back and re-read those books if they feel that strongly about it...because I can absolutely guarantee that even if they do reset the stats quo, it still won't ever be like those past early eras some are pining for)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    "Is It Possible for The X-Men To Go Back to Basic"
    Sorry but the title of my topic stays as it is.

Sorry but the title of my topic stays as it is.
    Do you man... my answer to your question would be I sure hope not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    Do you man... my answer to your question would be I sure hope not.
    Thanks for your reply which you could provide without being insultive in the first place.

Thanks for your reply which you could provide without being insultive in the first place.
    I'm sorry you were offended by my shot against the old status quo... I wasn't aiming for you.