Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    But the outback team was “dead” to the world and stayed hidden as a tactical advantage.
    Yeah they weren't isolating because they thought themselves superior, they were just hiding from enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Claremont’s stories didn’t feel like the X-men embodied the minorities because the X-men met these minorities (except the queers)… They also met “minorities” that didn’t exist like the Inhumans, aliens and sentient machines… There were references to the Holocaust but the X-men didn’t replace the ones who suffered from it, they didn’t attract all the attention in the comics.

The X-men rarely dealt with people without a problem of any sort, they helped these people and these latter were far from being just mutants.

Actually the one who wanted to explain all his actions by being a mutant was Magneto. He was the counter-point of the X-men. Claremont could use him to tell darker stories while the X-men were more positive people.
    who was it that wrote a story where Magneto met the Red Skull and decided to crush him with metal and bury whatever was left? Why? Because Magneto hates Nazis with a burning passion.... a burning passion that sleeps in a dark recess of his soul, but... don't wake the BEAST.

"If Magneto kills the Red Skull then he's just as bad as a Nazi" is the kind of thing that's best left in the past because it's pure cringe. Thanks for nothing Remender.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    But the outback team was “dead” to the world and stayed hidden as a tactical advantage, and lasted for about 21 issues (229-250) May 1988-October 1989 which is relatively short and sweet compared to other status quos
    And they decided to stay dead also for friends, and that caused Inferno- which wouldn't happen if they informed X-factor they were alive and led Scott and Madelyne to actually talk.

Also, if it's OK to be isolated because of tactical advantages, Krakoa offers a LOT more of those than Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    By this point, most MCU content is based off comics from the past 17 or so years. Hardly steadfastly classic.
    Yep, they're even adapting incursions now. GotG is entirely based on the 21st century version, Thor is adapting Aaron's stuff now (and hell, his version in the MCU is more similar to Hercules than Thor in the comics), IW + Endgame took a lot from Hickman's run just 3 years prior, Iron Man 3 adapted the Extremis stuff from less than 10 years prior, Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye are entirely based on the 2010's series and Wandavision heavily influenced by The Vision series from the same time, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    By this point, most MCU content is based off comics from the past 17 or so years. Hardly steadfastly classic.
    That part was about how these heros are written and portrayed, not who they are or how recent the things are that become adapted to the screen.

Mind the wording: "After all, the MCU with it's heros being quite "classic" in their ideals and adamant adherence to their morals, seems to show that the general audience is actualy much more invested in these basic versions (...)"

So this was more in opposition to the idea that super heros should be less virtuous, strict in their morals or selflessly heroic (which is what i meant with "classic") because of the idea that they have to be "real" and "modern" in terms of characterization in order to be more accepted by a newer audience. Something that keeps comming back in super hero comics as trend in a circular fashion for decades, but always seems to eventualy burn out people who then beginn to enjoy the classic takes on super heros again.
    Which is not to say that there isn't room for darker or anti-heros, but they mainly work as lesser in number contrast to the majority of upstanding and better than reality people that are "classic" super heros (who of course still have flaws too).

For example i don't expect Ms. Marvel to be less classic heroic than Spiderman.

As for newer stories. They tend to be heavily altered to the point where they often only have the rough idea of the comic version at it's core, essentialy filtered down to the bits the movie and series writers felt was more befitting their (closer to "classic" and more pragmatic) take on these heros and villains.

Which is also why i assume that if anything of the current X-men status is adapted (and likely only a while after it has been wrapped up and moved on) to screen it will be heavily altered to the point where only core elements and aesthetic remain.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    And they decided to stay dead also for friends, and that caused Inferno- which wouldn't happen if they informed X-factor they were alive and led Scott and Madelyne to actually talk.

Also, if it's OK to be isolated because of tactical advantages, Krakoa offers a LOT more of those than Outback..
    Okay, I don’t really understand your point but yes the story of them being “dead” during the 21 outback issues brought drama and conflict and an event crossover.

The xmen are not pretending to be dead to the world on krakoa tho.

I'm here for the evolution of it all. Krakoa is about to have a Hellfire Gala "to celebrate mutantdom's friendship with humanity" which is what I want to see. That's why the Avengers are present and in their Gala outfits this time rather than in their uniforms. Perhaps we'll learn of other allied arrangements similar to MJ and her aunt being brand ambassadors of Krakoan meds. There will always be evil humans that want mutants dead but it's nice to see this nuanced evolution and I hope the Gala is a big hit. (Until the Eternals show up.)
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well said, Sibling.

In this era the Mutants have been making the attempt to be an open and present part of the world, but on their terms. (FOCK dem haterz!!!) They're no longer hiding. They're demanding to be seen and heard. And I give them full props for that.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-09-2022 at 12:34 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm here for the evolution of it all. Krakoa is about to have a Hellfire Gala "to celebrate mutantdom's friendship with humanity" which is what I want to see. That's why the Avengers are present and in their Gala outfits this time rather than in their uniforms. Perhaps we'll learn of other allied arrangements similar to MJ and her aunt being brand ambassadors of Krakoan meds. There will always be evil humans that want mutants dead but it's nice to see this nuanced evolution and I hope the Gala is a big hit. (Until the Eternals show up.)
    Will the Eternals' assassins show up during the gala or after? It would make sense that it's during with so many distractions. I think Issue 4 of IXM is Emma-centeric so it could be a prelude to the gala or post gala..By issue #5 Exodus is already in retaliation mode, maybe because he is close with Hope the hit is in the Exodus-centric issue named 'Judgement'?.I guess we'll wait and see