Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

No one is interested in the xmen going back to being the persecuted species of the day.
    I am.

I found it a lot more interesting than the mutant supremacist angle that's going on right now and refer a small ragtag band of heroes to having absolutely everyone here but not using most of them.

What about the current X-Men comic? We have a group of superheroes located in a base in New York, ready to go superheroing as soon as someone gives problems... isn't that basic? Isn't that quintessential superhero basic? There was even a bunch of aliens that wanted to destroy Earth just for kicks, and the X-Men stopped them! Isn't that what you want? Aren't you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    Do you man... my answer to your question would be I sure hope not.
    Seconded. I have desire of interest to see the X-Men regress. At all.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    What about the current X-Men comic? We have a group of superheroes located in a base in New York, ready to go superheroing as soon as someone gives problems... isn't that basic? Isn't that quintessential superhero basic? There was even a bunch of aliens that wanted to destroy Earth just for kicks, and the X-Men stopped them! Isn't that what you want? Aren't you happy?
    Plus...
    They are still very much hated and feared, for even bigger reasons now.
    They still have a slew of villains focused and plotting on their utter eradication.
    They still are seemingly their own worst enemy.

So really...very little (other than the setting) has changed.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The message can still be told. No one is interested in the xmen going back to being the persecuted species of the day.
    I’m not interested by the x-men going back to being the persecuted species of the day… It’s not the “basic” for me. Ultimate Captain America is right: it depends on what is the definition of basic.

The basic for me is the X-men helping people in need, human or mutant because it’s the right thing to do. They get no rewards for that and still carry on…

They had adventures, humour and friendship. They travel and don’t stay in a mansion. They all have a distinct voice, don’t feel they are “better” than the humans but not less than the humans. They don’t feel “alien”: they grew up in our world, they are close to us.

I don’t hold my breath: there are worse problems in this world.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

And if by "classic" we mean "X-Men animated series classic"... Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine and Rogue are on the X-Men team. And the others are busy elsewhere but not forgotten: Gambit and Jubilee are stranded in Middle Earth (Excalibur), Beast runs the mutant KGB (X-Force), Xavier is the president of Krakoa (or whatever, all comics), and Storm is the president of a part of Mars. Meaning: they are all around, and the main team has 4 out of 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    And if by "classic" we mean "X-Men animated series classic"... Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine and Rogue are on the X-Men team. And the others are busy elsewhere but not forgotten: Gambit and Jubilee are stranded in Middle Earth (Excalibur), Beast runs the mutant KGB (X-Force), Xavier is the president of Krakoa (or whatever, all comics), and Storm is the president of a part of Mars. Meaning: they are all around, and the main team has 4 out of 9.
    LOL Middle Earth.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Everything is possible in comics. For my part, I like X-men stories with varied subjects and not with this single idea, the underlaying antagonism between humans and mutants… If that could be dropped… This presupposes a writer with a lot of ideas.
    The current books have that though… Red is all about space and Mars politics, New Mutants is all character work that has nothing do with with juman antagonists, Duggan’s book is all about being heroes to everyone on Earth.

That all being said it’d be very easy for one (or a few) out of many X-books to go back to basics and the mansion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It is possible, and perhaps inevitable because if there's one thing Marvel is consistent about is editors and writers wanting to bring back the status quo to exactly how it was in their childhood, even if requires a deal with the devil.

Should they? **** no!
    It’s impossible because Fox killed off the school era of the XMen. Since the Morrison run the XMen been about mutant society, and the comics did this to pave the way for fresh stories for the MCU.

Astonishing Member

They could have a breakaway team that wants to get out of the mutant supremacist/cult and hide out and use the X Mansion as their headquarters.

Certainly we will go back one day. It's marvels modus operandi.

It's also important to separate the idea of Krakoa from its execution. We have so many heroes appearing and doing nothing. It's like a paradise for people who would argue that appearing in itself is the most important part.

Why not keep Krakoa and actually do something with it that involves the favorites plus a large number of lesser known characters. Witch was what I thought Hickman was building towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I’m not interested by the x-men going back to being the persecuted species of the day… It’s not the “basic” for me. Ultimate Captain America is right: it depends on what is the definition of basic.

The basic for me is the X-men helping people in need, human or mutant because it’s the right thing to do. They get no rewards for that and still carry on…

They had adventures, humour and friendship. They travel and don’t stay in a mansion. They all have a distinct voice, don’t feel they are “better” than the humans but not less than the humans. They don’t feel “alien”: they grew up in our world, they are close to us.

I don’t hold my breath: there are worse problems in this world.
    Yet people love Morrison run where this entire mentality started. Go figure. Morrison's mutants were far more about supremacy than anything we've seen in Krakoa.

I'm starting to wonder if it's considered good because it essentially took the mutants and dragged them through the dirt and deformed them. I mean arrako makes sense mutants developing to look different on a larger scale because of the environment but there was no reason for the sudden change in morrison run, so much of his run was tearing down x-men and in the same sort of societal setting where essentially they gave nothing back the way krakoa gives drugs we've seen time and time again help the humans of the MU, most recently MJ aunt. But people ignore all they do and like to jump to the hot topic words like supremacy and stuff but then tout a run that was really about that like it is the gold standard. Well ok.

Morrison literally went down the trope of if the other got power or we took the boot off and let them grow, this is what they will do and i hope he had his come to moment on that because it was hardly nuanced from what little i did read but he can thank claremont for tidying it up quite a bit for him and i can thank claremont for keeping the xmen alive during that time with a group of heroes who actually did still protect both sides unlike what morrison was portraying with Emma protecting mutant murderers.

And heck while i'm at it may as well, and that is exactly where it seems Gillien is trying to land his sandbox only you can't come in be the only voice on multiple book, try to shape the characters yourself, and then expect people to buy it as organic if you really didn't do the work of exploring the why. Like if in the real world lets say holocaust survivors were able to be resurrected then all of a sudden the Nazi's find out and they are mad about it, and the rest of the world is like, "well how dare these people resurrect themselves and give them selves a true chance at life. We are mad." It just for me isn't very logical. And i mean logical on both levels it's not mentally or emotionally logical to me.
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-22-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

And perhaps i'm just a little too hopeful but i would think a much more powerful story would be "death is for humans" just imagine the irony of humans taking pride in the fact that one day they will grow old and die, i would expect there would be a group that would call that the purity of true humanity, and it be blasphemy to kill a mutant but torture is fine. I mean like shift with the times. lol. ah well the truth is it is what it is though. people have to create the type of stories with hope or change they want to see because apparently comics is for an aging demographic and not subject to evolution, at least that seems to be the consensus beat into the fans of the big two.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Like if in the real world lets say holocaust survivors were able to be resurrected then all of a sudden the Nazi's find out and they are mad about it, and the rest of the world is like, "well how dare these people resurrect themselves and give them selves a true chance at life. We are mad." It just for me isn't very logical. And i mean logical on both levels it's not mentally or emotionally logical to me.
    The weirdest part to me is that Krakoa openly invited people that HAVE committed or attempted to commit genocide on mutants and in many cases even put them in power.

It's like if the Jews and Nazis decided to live together and nobody held a grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The weirdest part to me is that Krakoa openly invited people that HAVE committed or attempted to commit genocide on mutants and in many cases even put them in power.

It's like if the Jews and Nazis decided to live together and nobody held a grudge.
    I'm not sure i understand your analogy are you implying Jews and Nazi's had the same journey in Nazi germany? It would have made more sense if you said the jews that turned in other jews or hurt other jews living amongst each other which sure it would breed some contempt maybe conversation or resentment but for overall safety of all from nazi's i could see there being a middle ground. It's seems like a purposeful narrowing of the basic context of the situation.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.