Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Some of the older stories didn't go so hard on the idea that Mutants specifically are feared and hated. OG Sentinels were designed to police supers in general, not JUST Mutants. And the SHRA uses this logic as well. Powerful supers are more dangerous than atom bombs. It makes sense for the public to be scared of people who can raze entire towns. It's the core focus of the Hulk book for decades.
    That's true, but I think when the books really got good is when they started to lean into this around DoFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    With the whole Krakoa and Arrako thing, is it possible for the X-Men to return to their previous status quo?
    I mean return back to the X-Mansion, Gold and Blue teams and cetera?
    ****, I hope not! This is the most interesting the mutants have been since Claremont's first run.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Extraordinary Member

One way I could see it working is if they truly split the line, with one half devoted to the old fight for equal rights for mutants among the human nations and the other half devoted to maintaining Krakoa as a haven for mutants. There will always be mutants who do not want to come to a new nation for a variety of reasons, and they will need someone to fight for them. There is potential now for an ideological split in which all sides support the other and remain completely cordial and friendly even if their methods differ greatly. Krakoa ensures mutants will always thrive as a group, while the new old-school X-Men would work to ensure mutants are treated with respect as individuals. The current X-Men book covers the basic superheroics, but it's as the representatives of Krakoa, which limits how far it can go in terms of old-school feel. But there's no reason they can't tell stories which satisfy both people who love Krakoa and people who prefer the old paradigm as long as its understood the extinction plotlines are done for good. Just cut a few books from the current X-line and replace them with a couple of books which fill that old-school mutant niche and there'd be a happy balance.

Please god lord NOPE.

Really nope, put a School in Krakoa and Arakko but "Feared and hunted again" LAME.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    And is there a dialogue between all these titles? Have Duggan’s characters a point of view about the ones who live in Krakoa, on the policies on Mars?
    Literally yes… Jean and Scott don’t like the way the Krakoan government functions which is the whole reason they started the team. The New Mutants are finding better ways to support the kids on the island despite the lack of support they’re getting from the higher ups. That title just had Maddie call out the fact that Sinister gets to be on the Council. Storm realized she was placed in Mars to play a certain type of roll and has recently rejected that to better represent the Arrakki. Plus she’s on both councils so there'll definitely be some dialogue there.

It’s fine if folks don’t like the books… you like what you like, but it’s frustrating when this false narrative pops up that every X-book is about the same exact thing and that the characters spend all their time on the island when they actually switch settings just as much if not more than they used to.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-23-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Literally yes… Jean and Scott don’t like the way the Krakoan government functions which is the whole reason they started the team. The New Mutants are finding better ways to support the kids on the island despite the lack of support they’re getting from the higher ups. That title had Maddie call out the fact that Sinister gets to be on the Council. Storm realized she was placed in Mars to play a certain type of roll and has recently rejected to better represent the Arrakki. Plus she’s on both councils so they’ll be definitely be some dialogue there.

It’s fine if folks don’t like the books… you like what you like, but it’s frustrating when this false narrative pops up that every X-book is about the same exact thing and that the characters spend all their time on the island when they actually switch settings just as much if not more than they used to.
    Yup. It would seem this narrative pops up from those perhaps not actively reading the books. I bet most of them don't know that MJ Watson and her aunt are brand ambassadors for Krakoan medicine (or were, depending on what goes down at the Gala).
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yup. It would seem this narrative pops up from those perhaps not actively reading the books. I bet most of them don't know that MJ Watson and her aunt are brand ambassadors for Krakoan medicine (or were, depending on what goes down at the Gala).
    Was that established anywhere before the few pages in the FCBD issue where Moira abducts her?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They basically amalgamated the inhumans and mutants, and this is what we got. It's telling that people think that the past 30 years of X-Men was pretty bad, and that an inhuman writer got a chance at the X-Men and made the X-Men more interesting aka follow a vision more akin to Magneto's/Apocalypse's than Xavier's. If you got powers, use them, don't be shy about them and establish your own society like the inhumans did. The only reason they probably didn't do it before was because the inhumans were still living in a Attilan-Krakoa environment, but since they uncovered more of their story and committed genocide against them, the story was wide open. Someone had to take it.

If it hadn't been for the past 40 years of X-Men writing, this era wouldn't make sense, so it was an endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    That's true, but I think when the books really got good is when they started to lean into this around DoFP.
    Yeah, but that had a reason, and made sense for that reason, and now it's just.... seemingly empty.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The last 15 plus years...post decimation and prior to HoX...perhaps were stagnant and depressing AF for the X-Men and Mutants. Fact.
    Prior to No More Mutants! the X-lines were pretty much fun if a little "scattered". Also Fact.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-23-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Literally yes… Jean and Scott don’t like the way the Krakoan government functions which is the whole reason they started the team. The New Mutants are finding better ways to support the kids on the island despite the lack of support they’re getting from the higher ups. That title just had Maddie call out the fact that Sinister gets to be on the Council. Storm realized she was placed in Mars to play a certain type of roll and has recently rejected that to better represent the Arrakki. Plus she’s on both councils so there'll definitely be some dialogue there.

Exactatiously.

(I realised quite early on a few here aren't reading the books but still reserve the right to have an "informed" opinion...enh.)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fine, I will stop.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Could they go back? Yes.

Should they? No.

I was not interested in the X Men for years. Now...I love it. The past few years have been great.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I want marvel to go back to bascis and feel like a shared universe where heroes care about each other despite the hickups that may come with that. To this day no one can tell me the avengers of old wouldn't have been the first to show up, well second after the FF if the x-lawn was being occupied by people trying to hurt mutant kids. So perhaps the back to basics needs to be the synergy of it not being hero vs hero for almost every event. It wasn't like a switched turned over night and people were suddenly only supporting certain segments of marvel. it was purposeful.

Krakoa is no different than Latervia, or Wakanda, or any of the other imaginary places in the MU.
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-24-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I could see (and would potentially like) a Fall of the Mutants style temporary status quo change where Krakoa either falls or the government shifts in a way that makes it inhospitable to the more heroic mutants, so the mutants are scattered across the world as Krakoan refugees, but that still very much embraces the Krakoan status quo without leaving it behind which I think it very important.