Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default What’s Molly Mayne’s stays since Alan Scott came out?

Is she still alive? Dead?
    What’s her opinion on Alan’s new status?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Is she still alive? Dead?
    What’s her opinion on Alan’s new status?
    I think we're currently in the "avoid Molly at all costs" stage of Alan's coming out because if that relationship isn't handled exactly right then Alan's going to come off as a tremendous *******.

As long as they aren't married anymore the better for everybody. I really hated that marriage, Alan basically married his crazy stalker.

My head canon says that Molly knew Alan was gay. Her teasing was something that may not be appropriate today, but in the day could have been considered funny. Now as time passed, Molly existence as Alan's beard served solved professional challenges and the pair probably did develop some respectful relations with each other even if Alan had few, if any, romantic feelings. A marriage for show seemed valid for those days.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How did you spell 'status' wrong?

Also she's not Jade's and Obsidian's mum so no one cares about her.
    "Cable was right!"

Has she even been in a comic since Blackest Night?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I'm not so familiar with Alan Scott continuity -- who was Jade and Obsidian's mother? They're pretty young so post-Crisis, were they supposedly conceived after the JSA came back from limbo? (or did Jade and Obsidian experience a timejump of their own?) I'm not clear on how the sliding timeline accounted for all that, even then.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How did you spell 'status' wrong?

Also she's not Jade's and Obsidian's mum so no one cares about her.
    Respectfully, I care about Molly Mayne as a character.

I don't think DC put a lot of thought into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think we're currently in the "avoid Molly at all costs" stage of Alan's coming out because if that relationship isn't handled exactly right then Alan's going to come off as a tremendous *******.
    But, why though? It's not like Alan is also in a secret relationship with a man or something like that.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    But, why though? It's not like Alan is also in a secret relationship with a man or something like that.
    It really depends on how it's handled. If Molly was aware of Alan's secret the whole time, then it's a very different story than Alan marrying her but lying to her about his true self all those years since Tynion established that Alan's been well aware that he was gay since at least 1939. That would undercut Alan's heroism greatly to me because it would mean that Alan knowingly married a woman under false pretenses.

Like I say, this is a subject that requires a lot of tack, care, and writing skill, and I simply do not have the confidence in DC's stable of writers to pull that off at the moment.

I'm all for saying Alan is bisexual. That could give validity to his old romances but not over complicate his prior stories. This is a situation that requires applying Occam's Razor and the simplest path is to just say Alan is bi sexual.

Of all the JSA characters DC could have chosen to out they chose the one who had the wildest most interesting romantic life. The man married not one but two of his old super villains. The first one was his best friend's villain and he had two children with them. Then decades later married proto-Harley Quinn and later he fought through hell to rescue her soul and for all intents and purposes was happily married for decades.

Everybody arguing for gay Alan Scott probably put more thought into it than DC did when they decided to out him.

Alan was the wrong character to out. It should have been Ted Grant, Johnny Quick or any one of the Dr Midnite's that has been around.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm all for saying Alan is bisexual. That could give validity to his old romances but not over complicate his prior stories. This is a situation that requires applying Occam's Razor and the simplest path is to just say Alan is bi sexual.

Of all the JSA characters DC could have chosen to out they chose the one who had the wildest most interesting romantic life. The man married not one but two of his old super villains. The first one was his best friend's villain and he had two children with them. Then decades later married proto-Harley Quinn and later he fought through hell to rescue her soul and for all intents and purposes was happily married for decades.

Everybody arguing for gay Alan Scott probably put more thought into it than DC did when they decided to out him.

Alan was the wrong character to out. It should have been Ted Grant, Johnny Quick or any one of the Dr Midnite's that has been around.
    I agree. I get the idea behind saying a gay guy was closeted and so engaged in heterosexual relationships -- because it happens/happened. But it's getting really messy with Alan. It was a little less of a problem for Iceman since he was never married (Alan married twice -- and the second time he was in his 60s or 70s). Obviously they went with Alan because Green Lantern is a known commodity. Wildcat, Johnny Quick and Dr. Mid-Nite aren't. For simplicity's sake -- I think Jay may have been the way to go.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's exactly this. They're probably going to have her be dead so they can say that he stayed in the closet to make sure he never had to break her heart.

I've seen some calls for Jay, which I disagree with entirely given how affectionate he's always been with his wife and how often their marriage is highlighted. They're the sweethearts of the Golden Age.

As for Doc Mid-Nite, Pieter is bisexual in my own head canon, though that's mostly based on the rumors I've heard that Wagner intended him to be gay, his established relationships with women, and the interesting angle of a religious man reconciling his faith with his sexual orientation. I think it takes nothing away from him and only adds/enhances his narrative.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-29-2022 at 01:24 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As for Doc Mid-Nite, Pieter is bisexual in my own head canon, though that's mostly based on the rumors I've heard that Wagner intended him to be gay, his established relationships with women, and the interesting angle of a religious man reconciling his faith with his sexual orientation. I think it takes nothing away from him and only adds/enhances his narrative.
    Pieter Cross? I had thought than most of the calls were for Charles McNider.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin