Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think DC put a lot of thought into it.
    I'm trying to figure how they pitched this and no one asked the questions we're asking now.
    "Cable was right!"

I agree DC probably hasn't given much thought to Molly Mayne. Those of us who post on these threads appear to have a much greater concern for DC's Golden Age characters than DC seems to have themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm trying to figure how they pitched this and no one asked the questions we're asking now.
    What are you referring to that has been pitched? There was the original Molly Mayne who was active in the late Golden Age who was focused on Alan.

Roy Thomas came up with the Rose/Thorn and Alan connection to explain Alan having children in Infinity, Inc started in 1983.

Rose and Thorn becoming immortal was a Brian Bendis idea to fit into Legion.

Everything else here has been pure speculation.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I just assumed Molly died of old age, and Alan waited until she was dead to come out as gay.

What's funny, is that Alan's partners were BOTH villainesses. Molly was the original Harlequin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "We need a new prominent gay hero and Alan Scott might be our best retroactive chance! We'll figure out the logistics later."

I think a similar reasoning happened with Tim, especially when you look at how they handled his relationship with Stephanie.

Guys, don't forget that this is second time Alan came out as gay. First time it was done in New 52 Earth-2 and it made more sense there. I think some people in charge liked it and decided to bring it over to the main universe, they probably never thought much about how that is going to fit with Alan having multiple women and children in his life.

By the time this decade ends he'll probably come out as gay third time.

"We need a new prominent gay hero and Alan Scott might be our best retroactive chance! We'll figure out the logistics later."
    That's not quite how it happened. It wasn't meant to be a retcon - they were starting over with a new Alan Scott for the Nu52 Earth-2 and I believe Robinson created that Alan Scott as a "replacement" gay representation for losing Todd who was no longer in existence at the time. Then when that failed to take hold, the idea of "the original" Alan Scott being gay just kinda bled over since going backwards would be seen as going backwards, and I think some writers were interested in the idea of addressing a closeted gay man in the Golden Age. Alan's life certainly needs more of a spotlight, and tbh I find this journey a lot more interesting now.

"DC" doesn't think about things because the company has no agenda for side characters - it's just a mishmash of whatever ideas all the various writers produce barely stitched together in a loose continuity. If a writer wanted to address Molly, we'd have an answer - it's up to whatever writer wants to tackle it, rather than "DC" supplying a canon for writers to follow.

Incredible Member

The simplest solution would be to do the same as some adaptations have already done: ignore them being from World War 2. If you want them to be older heroes of the past, put that they were heroes in the 90's. I don't know why DC always puts them as WW2, why can't they be from the present? The JLA was also an old team of heroes and they don't keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    The simplest solution would be to do the same as some adaptations have already done: ignore them being from World War 2. If you want them to be older heroes of the past, put that they were heroes in the 90's. I don't know why DC always puts them as WW2, why can't they be from the present? The JLA was also an old team of heroes and they don't keep it up!
    To me, the JSA being Golden Age era matters because of their old school attitudes and beliefs. Locking them in a generation ahead of the present changes when they come from and what they stand for. The JLA has been changing over the years as the present develops. The "greatest generation" aspect applying to their personalities and politics is a big part of their characterization.

So what else is new when it comes to DC?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    To me, the JSA being Golden Age era matters because of their old school attitudes and beliefs. Locking them in a generation ahead of the present changes when they come from and what they stand for. The JLA has been changing over the years as the present develops. The "greatest generation" aspect applying to their personalities and politics is a big part of their characterization.
    But we’re coming up on 2021. A hundred years since the UNited States entered World War II. It’s hard to justify keeping the JSA in that era, when in the real world, that generation will pretty much dead by then. And that’s not even getting into, they only have one generation of offspring under them.

Jay Garrick in particular has this old Americana vibe to him that wouldn't work if he was reimagined as a Gen-Xer for instance. If it's an alternate version like the New-52 where he was in his early 20s by all means go right ahead. But the main Jay Garrick starting out in the early 90s and being a fan of RATM or NIN just wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Jade and Obsidian's mom is the woman who is the Golden Age Rose and the Thorn. A potential time fix was done by Bendis in his making Rose/Thorn immortal in order to use her for his Legion series. A long lived Alan and an immortal Rose could certainly have kids at any time along Alan's lifespan.
    You think than Bendis put thought on that? Bendis can't differentiate Wally West from Barry Allen. Also, the name of the mother of Jade and Obsidin is Rose Canton, the Golden age Thorn. The name of the Rose used in LoS: Millenium was Rose Forrest, the bronze age/present day version.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-23-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    You think than Bendis put thought on that? Bendis can't differentiate Wally West from Barry Allen. Also, the name of the mother of Jade and Obsidin is Rose Canton, the Golden age Thorn. The name of the Rose used in Los: Millenium was Rose Forst, the present day version.
    Do I think so? Not one bit. I tried to stick to a cold list of what was published without any opinions being expressed. Now the existence of a second Rose/Thorn whether it's Forrest or Canton hasn't been specified by DC. There was the exception of a National Comics one-shot which was continuity free, even by current DC standards. Are there two Roses post-Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But we’re coming up on 2021. A hundred years since the UNited States entered World War II. It’s hard to justify keeping the JSA in that era, when in the real world, that generation will pretty much dead by then. And that’s not even getting into, they only have one generation of offspring under them.
    Hence my near ubiquitous mentioning of a time jump. Whether the Ragnarok option is used, or if Johnny Thunder jumps them, they could reappear 30 years or so ago allowing them to re-acclimate to their new present day and to raise families. This also allows for retellings of the early JLA/JSA team-ups without too much stress.

IMO, a JSA in the time of Vietnam is very different than a JSA in the time of WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Jay Garrick in particular has this old Americana vibe to him that wouldn't work if he was reimagined as a Gen-Xer for instance. If it's an alternate version like the New-52 where he was in his early 20s by all means go right ahead. But the main Jay Garrick starting out in the early 90s and being a fan of RATM or NIN just wouldn't work.
    Yeah, maybe it's just me, but it's difficult to imagine the JSA as a bunch of Gen-Xers. That's what Kyle Rayner was. Sometimes the sliding timeline shouldn't be addressed. I'm all for the JSA being from WW2 era then timejump/limbo, Earth-2 or something gives us an excuse to have them in the present day. That way, Molly is also long dead and just a fond memory.

I'd also be okay with them being on Earth-2 again and only crossing over once a year.