Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Hence my near ubiquitous mentioning of a time jump. Whether the Ragnarok option is used, or if Johnny Thunder jumps them, they could reappear 30 years or so ago allowing them to re-acclimate to their new present day and to raise families. This also allows for retellings of the early JLA/JSA team-ups without too much stress . . .
    I'm assuming that bit with Johnny Thunder from Doomsday Clock is no longer anywhere in continuity.

Besides, shouldn't he be back to being a part of Jakeem William's Thunderbolt again?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Do I think so? Not one bit. I tried to stick to a cold list of what was published without any opinions being expressed. Now the existence of a second Rose/Thorn whether it's Forrest or Canton hasn't been specified by DC. There was the exception of a National Comics one-shot which was continuity free, even by current DC standards. Are there two Roses post-Crisis?
    In the first page of LoS: Millenium, Rose said her name was Rose Forrest and called herself a vigilante. It is pretty clear which version of Thorn Bendis handles, the one from the Lois Lane comics. I suppose is the only version Bendis knows about.

We could argue than the National comics version is one of those ideas from the New52 than went away with Rebirth. True, that hasn't been specified.

But also, it hasn't been specified if Molly ever existed. So, until now, there never has been a Molly.

Maybe Alan created his sons by himself by only sheer willpower. I mean, Alan Scott has been married but it hasn't been specified if he ever had sex with a woman.

With "It hasn't specified" we could excuse anything. Pretty in the line of Bendis argument than "There never has been a Legion".
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm assuming that bit with Johnny Thunder from Doomsday Clock is no longer anywhere in continuity.
    You do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Besides, shouldn't he be back to being a part of Jakeem William's Thunderbolt again?
    How do you know he isn't?
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 05-23-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Maybe Alan created his sons by himself by only sheer willpower.
    Sons? Jade's a girl, dude. Alan has a son and a daughter.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sons? Jade's a girl, dude. Alan has a son and a daughter.
    I didn't remember which is the word for offspring of different sex. Sorry for the bad english.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Jay Garrick in particular has this old Americana vibe to him that wouldn't work if he was reimagined as a Gen-Xer for instance. If it's an alternate version like the New-52 where he was in his early 20s by all means go right ahead. But the main Jay Garrick starting out in the early 90s and being a fan of RATM or NIN just wouldn't work.
    I don't know, the live action version of Jay Garrick is younger than the comic version and works fine. Even Smallville depicted them as basically being middle aged men in the present day. I think you can keep the WW2 stuff, but they have to either be dead now or from another Earth where time passes differently.

Keeping so many of them and their continuity in the present day is just so convoluted and dumb now. And I love the JSA, but it really doesn't work.

A better question would be what's Alan Scott's status since Alan Scott came out? For his past relationships to be addressed he needs to be actually used in books.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    But, why though? It's not like Alan is also in a secret relationship with a man or something like that.
    It really depends on how it's handled. If Molly was aware of Alan's secret the whole time, then it's a very different story than Alan marrying her but lying to her about his true self all those years since Tynion established that Alan's been well aware that he was gay since at least 1939. That would undercut Alan's heroism greatly to me because it would mean that Alan knowingly married a woman under false pretenses.

Like I say, this is a subject that requires a lot of tack, care, and writing skill, and I simply do not have the confidence in DC's stable of writers to pull that off at the moment.

I'm all for saying Alan is bisexual. That could give validity to his old romances but not over complicate his prior stories. This is a situation that requires applying Occam's Razor and the simplest path is to just say Alan is bi sexual.

Of all the JSA characters DC could have chosen to out they chose the one who had the wildest most interesting romantic life. The man married not one but two of his old super villains. The first one was his best friend's villain and he had two children with them. Then decades later married proto-Harley Quinn and later he fought through hell to rescue her soul and for all intents and purposes was happily married for decades.

Everybody arguing for gay Alan Scott probably put more thought into it than DC did when they decided to out him.

Alan was the wrong character to out. It should have been Ted Grant, Johnny Quick or any one of the Dr Midnite's that has been around.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I didn't remember which is the word for offspring of different sex. Sorry for the bad english.
    Children or Kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I don't know, the live action version of Jay Garrick is younger than the comic version and works fine. Even Smallville depicted them as basically being middle aged men in the present day. I think you can keep the WW2 stuff, but they have to either be dead now or from another Earth where time passes differently.

Keeping so many of them and their continuity in the present day is just so convoluted and dumb now. And I love the JSA, but it really doesn't work.
    I think Arrowverse Jay, as well as all of the JSA and Seven Soldiers of Victory from the Stargirl show, were sent forward in time (along with some of their villains), which explains how they're still around. They were originally from World War II, and sent forward to probably the 90s or 2000s (allowing time for Green Lantern's kids Jennie and Todd and Stripesy's son Mike to be born). When the JSA was destroyed in a flashback in Stargirl's first episode, Jay then ended up pulled into the Speed Force, and emerged in Earth-Prime, where he met Barry and co (which would be in a version of Flash season 2, but the events of that season played out differently due to Crisis).

Evidence: Flash episode Impulsive Excessive Disorder, which ends with Jay telling Bart and Nora about his past, and the comic book issue Earth-Prime #4, in which Pat tells Courtney that he's time displaced, hence why he's still young when villain the Needle is old.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Honestly that's been one of my biggest questions since the start of Alan's coming out. He was happily married with her last we knew.

It didn't REALLY make sense for him to come out as Gay but I was interested in seeing where they'd go with handling Molly and...they just haven't.

Heck make her a Lesbian and we can have a whole comedy out of their relationship with the two still being close friends.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I just assumed Molly died of old age, and Alan waited until she was dead to come out as gay.

What's funny, is that Alan's partners were BOTH villainesses. Molly was the original Harlequin.
    While it was not stated outright I think that's basically what they went with when he came out to his kids, post Rebirth.

He didn't not refere to Molly by name but he did mention that he was married to a few women that he did love but he knew that that there was a part of himself that ke kept hidden away.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    . . . He didn't not refere to Molly by name but he did mention that he was married to a few women that he did love but he knew that that there was a part of himself that he kept hidden away.
    In the pre-Flashpoint comic book stories, he had previously been married briefly to Rose Canton (who was also the Golden Age Thorn) but under the name of Alyx Florin.

It would be many, many years later before Alan and Molly wed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm all for saying Alan is bisexual. That could give validity to his old romances but not over complicate his prior stories. This is a situation that requires applying Occam's Razor and the simplest path is to just say Alan is bi sexual.

Of all the JSA characters DC could have chosen to out they chose the one who had the wildest most interesting romantic life. The man married not one but two of his old super villains. The first one was his best friend's villain and he had two children with them. Then decades later married proto-Harley Quinn and later he fought through hell to rescue her soul and for all intents and purposes was happily married for decades.

Everybody arguing for gay Alan Scott probably put more thought into it than DC did when they decided to out him.

Alan was the wrong character to out. It should have been Ted Grant, Johnny Quick or any one of the Dr Midnite's that has been around.
    I agree. I get the idea behind saying a gay guy was closeted and so engaged in heterosexual relationships -- because it happens/happened. But it's getting really messy with Alan. It was a little less of a problem for Iceman since he was never married (Alan married twice -- and the second time he was in his 60s or 70s). Obviously they went with Alan because Green Lantern is a known commodity. Wildcat, Johnny Quick and Dr. Mid-Nite aren't. For simplicity's sake -- I think Jay may have been the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree. I get the idea behind saying a gay guy was closeted and so engaged in heterosexual relationships -- because it happens/happened. But it's getting really messy with Alan. It was a little less of a problem for Iceman since he was never married (Alan married twice -- and the second time he was in his 60s or 70s). Obviously they went with Alan because Green Lantern is a known commodity. Wildcat, Johnny Quick and Dr. Mid-Nite aren't. For simplicity's sake -- I think Jay may have been the way to go.
    Well Johnny Quick would've been just as problematic, imho, 'cause retconning his long-running marriage to Liberty Belle would've been annoying.

If you're thinking of Johnny Thunder, that'd be an easy character to out - he never really seemed to have a long-running girlfriend (his efforts with Daisy Darling were sporadic), and he was, always a bit "flamboyant." Still, retconning the team idiot as being gay seems not-nice.

Wildcat would've been a provocative choice. Ted Grant, ladies' man who can keep up with Queen Freakin' Hippolyta and former heavyweight champion of the world, retconned into being a closet homosexual? That would've taken heavy editorial guts.

Dr. Mid-Nite? Personally, I always thought he was gay. Between the accidental hints of Roy Thomas and the not-so-accidental hints of James Robinson, there seemed to be a modicum of subtext with regards to Chuck.