Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What’s Molly Mayne’s stays since Alan Scott came out?

Is she still alive? Dead?
    What’s her opinion on Alan’s new status?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Is she still alive? Dead?
    What’s her opinion on Alan’s new status?
    I think we're currently in the "avoid Molly at all costs" stage of Alan's coming out because if that relationship isn't handled exactly right then Alan's going to come off as a tremendous asshole.

As long as they aren't married anymore the better for everybody. I really hated that marriage, Alan basically married his crazy stalker.

My head canon says that Molly knew Alan was gay. Her teasing was something that may not be appropriate today, but in the day could have been considered funny. Now as time passed, Molly existence as Alan's beard served solved professional challenges and the pair probably did develop some respectful relations with each other even if Alan had few, if any, romantic feelings. A marriage for show seemed valid for those days.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How did you spell 'status' wrong?

Also she's not Jade's and Obsidian's mum so no one cares about her.
    "Cable was right!"

Has she even been in a comic since Blackest Night?
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

I'm not so familiar with Alan Scott continuity -- who was Jade and Obsidian's mother? They're pretty young so post-Crisis, were they supposedly conceived after the JSA came back from limbo? (or did Jade and Obsidian experience a timejump of their own?) I'm not clear on how the sliding timeline accounted for all that, even then.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm not so familiar with Alan Scott continuity -- who was Jade and Obsidian's mother? They're pretty young so post-Crisis, were they supposedly conceived after the JSA came back from limbo? (or did Jade and Obsidian experience a timejump of their own?) I'm not clear on how the sliding timeline accounted for all that, even then.
    Jade and Obsidian's mom is the woman who is the Golden Age Rose and the Thorn. A potential time fix was done by Bendis in his making Rose/Thorn immortal in order to use her for his Legion series. A long lived Alan and an immortal Rose could certainly have kids at any time along Alan's lifespan.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'm not so familiar with Alan Scott continuity -- who was Jade and Obsidian's mother?
    Their mother is the Golden Age Thorn, who Alan Scott was briefly married to (though he married her as Rose).

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think we're currently in the "avoid Molly at all costs" stage of Alan's coming out because if that relationship isn't handled exactly right then Alan's going to come off as a tremendous asshole.
    But, why though? It's not like Alan is also in a secret relationship with a man or something like that.

I'm not so familiar with Alan Scott continuity -- who was Jade and Obsidian's mother? They're pretty young so post-Crisis, were they supposedly conceived after the JSA came back from limbo? (or did Jade and Obsidian experience a timejump of their own?) I'm not clear on how the sliding timeline accounted for all that.
    Well, that's a decent-sized can-of-worms.

In the original telling, Jade and Obsidian's mom was the Golden Age Thorn, a villain of the Golden Age Flash. Like her more famous bronze age counterpart, Thorn was a woman with a multiple personality disorder, although her dark side tended towards villainy rather than harsh vigilantism. As the story goes, at some point she was temporarily cured of her disorder, and had a whirlwind romance/marriage with Alan Scott (who was unaware of her villainous dark side). She fled the marriage when her evil half returned, and Alan never was able to find her. Unbeknownst to Alan, Thorn had twin babies (Jade and Obsidian), which she put up for adoption. Years later, after Alan was reunited with his kids, Thorn's better half killed herself rather than kill Alan.

So, there's a few things that need to be unwound here:
    1) Timeline issues. If Jade and Obsidian are characters in (charitably) their late 20s/early 30s, their mom being a 60+ year old Golden Age Thorn is biologically problematic. There's been talk of retconning their mom to be the Bronze Age Thorn, or making the Golden Age Thorn as weirdly immortal as Bronze Age version, but that's a bit oofy, in my opinion.
    2) Issues around Alan's sexuality. I'm a reasonably big fan of the "Alan Scott was gay on the down low" retcon. I particularly like the idea of retconning Molly Mayne into a willing and long-standing beard - there's a lot of good stories to be mined out of that, I think. But the idea of Alan, in his 70s, completely self-aware of his own sexuality (if not open), having a child-bearing heterosexual fling/secret marriage, is awkward at best. Frankly, whoever Jade and Obsidian's mother is, getting over the "why is our now totally gay Alan Scott having sex with a woman at this late date in his career?" question is going to be thorny (so to speak). Personally, I'd like to avoid retconning the retcon to make Alan bi just for the sake of Jade and Obsidian.
    3) The treatment of mental illness in this story is, um, not great.

So, y'know, it's a bit fraught.

I said previously but if I had to reconcile the JSA being a bunch of elderly people who inexplicably have teenagers and 20 somethings for kids, I’d just say they and their spouses had been lost in time/limbo for an extended period in the early 1950s, and only returned 20 something years ago. It has its own flaws but can at least explain away the issue of all the JSAers seemingly waiting until they were in their 70s to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I said previously but if I had to reconcile the JSA being a bunch of elderly people who inexplicably have teenagers and 20 somethings for kids, I’d just say they and their spouses had been lost in time/limbo for an extended period in the early 1950s, and only returned 20 something years ago. It has its own flaws but can at least explain away the issue of all the JSAers seemingly waiting until they were in their 70s to have children.
    That's kinda-sorta-okay, and can work reasonably well for characters with long-established spouses (eg Starman, Atom, Hawkman, etc.). It starts getting goofier, imho, when you start adding in "married for a few days, then took a powder" characters like Thorn ("what ridiculous luck - this woman I married yesterday got sucked into the temporal vortex with me. Hey, where'd she go?"). At that point, you might as well go the full Suspendium route.

(And that's not even getting into issues dealing with Alan's sexuality).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of transforming large swaths of Golden Age characters and their supporting casts into temporal refugees. When a handful of characters are wandering around in the modern day, getting used to all the changes in society since the early 50's, it's poignant and interesting. When there's enough to fill small gymnasium, the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How did you spell 'status' wrong?

Also she's not Jade's and Obsidian's mum so no one cares about her.
    Respectfully, I care about Molly Mayne as a character.

I don't think DC put a lot of thought into it.