Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL (CAROL DANVERS)

120 78.95%
  • MS MARVEL (KAMALA KHAN)

32 21.05%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Who do you feel deserves a movie more-Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) or Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

I realize that this might be an unpopular view but I would love to see a Ms Marvel movie more than a Captain Marvel movie.

There's been lots of calls for a Captain Marvel movie but personally (and this is just my personal opinion) I've enjoyed reading about Kamala Khan more. She just seems to be a more interesting character with a very interesting setting that could make for some serious discussion considering the current political climate.

Carol Danvers is a much older character and Kamala Khan's identity is based off of Carol but that didn't stop Marvel making Ant-Man with Scott Lang instead of Henry Pym

What do you guys think?

Captain Marvel deserves it more. Much as I love Kamala, Carol's the better movie choice. She's easier to introduce, her power set sets her up as equal to Iron Man or Thor, her name sets her up as equal to Captain America. She's an easy character to do big stories with. She's got a history already.

Kamala's brand new. She doesn't have any history yet. Even three years from now, she won't have much history. She doesn't have the presence Carol does. Her powers are visually interesting, so she's got that in her favour.

Kamala. Carol is old and boring.
    BB

where's the both option?
    if i had to choose one it would be carol though

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Captain Marvel deserves it more. Much as I love Kamala, Carol's the better movie choice. She's easier to introduce, her power set sets her up as equal to Iron Man or Thor, her name sets her up as equal to Captain America. She's an easy character to do big stories with. She's got a history already.

Kamala's brand new. She doesn't have any history yet. Even three years from now, she won't have much history. She doesn't have the presence Carol does. Her powers are visually interesting, so she's got that in her favour.
    For basically the same reasons I voted for Kamala. She doesn't have the baggage of a backstory, she is still a kid and could be developed primarily in a movie. Having a smaller power level would allow for more discovery and drama in the story, more time spent on the character and her personality. She wouldn't need a big time cosmic space villain to rally against or some elaborate scheme that leaves her vulnerable. Just more room for fun and subtle, while Danvers would be over the top power of a supernova to destroy a fleet of battle cruisers while struggling to remain feminine as she copes with being a Kree experiment looking for revenge.

I love Carol Danvers, but Marvel could make a mighty statement by making a movie about a Pakistani, muslim American superhero.

Go for it, and let the bigots bitch.

The character created this year with about 5 issues/appearances is clearly the right answer.

BANNED

The character that has been around for decades and has a lot of history, OR the character who has 5 or 6 issues under her belt? Yeah, I'll go with Carol. That's like asking whther Johnny (or Danny) or Robbie should get to be the star of the next Ghost Rider movie (when it happens and yes it will nananananana!). I like Kamala, but Carol should be the star of the first movie. Kam (and Robbie and Sam) works best as a legacy character. If there is no Carol, there can be no Kam.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Carol, no contest. Kamala's comic isn't even in double digits yet, there is no history, no foundation for a movie. Plus I love the idea that after the 3rd Avengers movie we might get a New Avengers movie with Carol leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I love Carol Danvers, but Marvel could make a mighty statement by making a movie about a Pakistani, muslim American superhero.

Go for it, and let the bigots bitch.
    IMO, a tv series centered around Kamala would be better if they want to challenge ignorant views towards a race/religion

BANNED

Couldn't care less about Kamala.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Easy choice for me - Captain Marvel - as much as I love the Ms Marvel book right now the truth is Carol is more well known than Kamala and has been around longer so it would feel a bit weird if Kamala got a film first, if she was in Carol's film as a cameo or something fair enough.

That's of course assuming we'd only get one or the other first. If we get a film from both I'd be very happy but I just don't see a Kamala film being made.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    IMO, a tv series centered around Kamala would be better if they want to challenge ignorant views towards a race/religion
    Hey, fine by me. Realistically, Carol has a lot going for her... but that doesn't mean I don't want to see Kamala for my own petty reasons. xD

I have to weigh in and its gotta be Carol for me, because with only 5/6 issues the material isn't there and to be honest its going to be hard enough getting a female lead movie never mind a Pakistani female lead one, we are still waiting for a marvel movie that isn't lead by a white guy.
    Truth is the best policy

Firstly, I don't like the language of the question. There are precious few heroes who don't deserve a movie. Neither of these women are on that shortlist.

Second, I had a horrid suspicion I was gonna have to ramble on for a long-ass explanation, but Tiamatty and others have beaten me to it, so I'm basically parroting their points.

So yeah, going with Carol because, simply, she has a history. However much more attention she's had in the last few years since adopting the Captain moniker, the fact is she existed for, what, 30-odd years before that, with a ton of stories and relationships that can be mined for movie material. And bear in mind that, however new and trendy the MCU looks, it still takes a lot of cues from fairly old comics. Was anyone really gagging for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch to show up in Avengers 2? Not particularly, no, but those two were at the core of the team's first true roster shake-up, and that's something the filmmakers clearly wanted to address. Ditto Ultron. He's not the bad guy because Bendis did an event story a year or so ago, he's the bad guy because he's a classic and fought the team throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s. And ditto for Carol - though I hope they've studied the DeConnick issues well for reference on her character, if/when she gets added to the movieverse it'll be because of her exploits as Ms. Marvel and Warbird rather than Captain Marvel. (although they should definitely call her Captain regardless)

Kamala is adorable and spunky and hilarious, and I want all that is best for her. But she is still so very new (not even a year old!) and we still don't quite know how she fits into the broader Marvel universe (although that will likely be defined over her next couple of issues). We need to give her a few more years, let her hit her heroic status quo, and maybe throw her in a few big team-ups or *shudder* events before we can seriously talk about a movie. That said, if Marvel Studios are serious about making an Inhumans movie, Kamala would be a perfect audience-POV character to bring us into that world...granted, it's not as cool as a solo movie for her, but it's a thought.