View Poll Results: WHO DO YOU WANT TO SEE IN A MOVIE MORE

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL (CAROL DANVERS)

120 78.95%
  • MS MARVEL (KAMALA KHAN)

32 21.05%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I want to watch a movie about Kamela Khan. I don't want to watch a movie about Danvers.

Carol, but only because she's better-designed for the kind of grand spectacle movies often have. Kamala (after a few years to get established) would be better off in an animated TV series since she's more focused on personal adventures and low-scale storylines than giant film-epics.

That said, Kamala could easily be the MCU's "Spider-Man" in that she's the optimistic, wisecracking super-teen, but an animated show suits her style better.
    Last edited by Myetche; 09-01-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Its not even a question. I like Kamala so far, and if Im being totally honest Im enjoying her book more than I am Captain Marvel right now (Enemy Within and its build-up were by far the highlight of KSD's run to this point). But Kamala hasnt even been around for a year, barely half of that, and....no. The only reason I can see to use her in the movies at all is because Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man and Kamala makes for a great "everyperson" archetype.

Carol offers a connection to the Kree, a bridge between the Avengers and SHIELD, she has more rogues to work with, more stories to build off of, more presence, greater gravitas....there's absolutely no reason at all I can see to use Kamala at all right now, much less before Carol.

All that being said, there's no reason Marvel couldn't push them both. I dont believe there's a quota on female-centric movies anywhere, so Marvel could (and should) be pushing both of these characters, as well as She-Hulk, Medusa, Wasp, and everyone else who is worthwhile.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I dislike her costume, but I think Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel is more interesting than Captain Marvel.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Carol easily. Kamala's just too new.

Fantastic Member

Depends on what the writers are going for, both are interesting characters, so both deserve a movie. Carol has extensive history and links to a bunch of characters. Kamela can open up a younger superhero level in Marvel, as well as bring some diversity. Both are exciting ideas, and I would go see either movie. Marvel seems to look at what they can open up with the character. Space and the Kree have already been opened up by GOTG, so Kamela aids in groundwork back on Earth, plus perhaps appealing to a younger market, might be more likely. If I had to lean towards one, I would probably lean towards Carol, more for her fans, who've waited for decades to see her on the big screen. I do think both will eventually be on the big screen, I don't know about it being a solo, but both would fit nicely into a group.

Of course, all of this requires that Marvel Studios get off its ass and actually make a damned female-led movie already. We can probably expect that to happen sometime around 2029, if we're lucky. They've got a lot of straight white guys to get through first, after all. Sure, they'd love to give Carol and Kamala movies - but they need to do Namor first! And then they have to do Hawkeye! And Warlock. And then they have to do Black Knight. And Wonder Man. They need the Bucky-as-Captain America trilogy. Maybe Eric Masterson-as-Thor. Oh, and maybe an O'Grady-as-Ant-Man trilogy. Can't forget about Hercules, Starfox, Mar-Vell, Hellstrom, the Richard Rider version of Nova, Quasar. Oh, and let's not forget all the other teams - New Warriors, Squadron Supreme, Thunderbolts, Great Lakes Avengers and more. All with straight white males getting top billing, of course.

Once every single straight white male character in Marvel's entire catalog has gotten a chance, then they'll have time to do a solo movie for a female or minority character.

It's just a matter of timing, you know?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Of course, all of this requires that Marvel Studios get off its ass and actually make a damned female-led movie already. We can probably expect that to happen sometime around 2029, if we're lucky. They've got a lot of straight white guys to get through first, after all. Sure, they'd love to give Carol and Kamala movies - but they need to do Namor first! And then they have to do Hawkeye! And Warlock. And then they have to do Black Knight. And Wonder Man. They need the Bucky-as-Captain America trilogy. Maybe Eric Masterson-as-Thor. Oh, and maybe an O'Grady-as-Ant-Man trilogy. Can't forget about Hercules, Starfox, Mar-Vell, Hellstrom, the Richard Rider version of Nova, Quasar. Oh, and let's not forget all the other teams - New Warriors, Squadron Supreme, Thunderbolts, Great Lakes Avengers and more. All with straight white males getting top billing, of course.

Once every single straight white male character in Marvel's entire catalog has gotten a chance, then they'll have time to do a solo movie for a female or minority character.

It's a matter of finding the right story that fits in with their plan. Do you want Marvel Studios' first failure to be the long-awaited movie with a female or other minority
    lead, because they shoehorned it in to satisfy a contingent that's been pressuring them to? They are making more risky movies now, for sure, but I guarantee the expectations
    for each movie have been researched thoroughly. It may seem like it's a lucky streak, but I'm pretty sure they're confident of the results because they do their homework.
    Even so, one of the movies will eventually fail. I think the likelihood of that happening is much higher with a film made to quiet some critics, instead of sticking to the plan
    they've had so much success with so far.

You mean female-led movie as in that females characters are the only protagonists ?.

BANNED

Pretty much this she is Brown and Woman double strike so if MCU does something they are not getting to her for a long time. I suppose she can get a cameo in Ms. Marvel's movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It's a matter of finding the right story that fits in with their plan. Do you want Marvel Studios' first failure to be the long-awaited movie with a female or other minority
    lead, because they shoehorned it in to satisfy a contingent that's been pressuring them to? They are making more risky movies now, for sure, but I guarantee the expectations
    for each movie have been researched thoroughly. It may seem like it's a lucky streak, but I'm pretty sure they're confident of the results because they do their homework.
    Even so, one of the movies will eventually fail. I think the likelihood of that happening is much higher with a film made to quiet some critics, instead of sticking to the plan
    they've had so much success with so far.
    Yeah yeah, find the right story. But why is it that female and minority leads don't fit the story they want to tell? They fit Ant-Man into their plans to appease Edgar Wright. They fit Guardians of the Galaxy into their plans. They're fitting Dr. Strange into their plans. They're fitting Inhumans into their plans. How long is the audience supposed to wait for a female or minority lead to fit Marvel's plans? 2018? 2020? 2028? How long can Marvel put it off before we call bullshit? Marvel Studio's made the conscious decision to have their plans revolve around white men. That's not just "the way it happened" - they chose which characters to use, and they chose to exclusively give the lead roles to white men.

And beyond that, this is an issue that's not going to go away. The longer they remain silent, the worse they look. They could go out tomorrow and say, "Yes, there will definitely, absolutely, 100% be at least one female- or minority-led movie released within the next 5 years." The people criticizing them would accept that. That's all Marvel needs to say. But they won't say that. And there could be any number of reasons they don't say it, but frankly, until they prove otherwise, I'm assuming it's because they actually don't have any plans for those movies right now. I'm going to assume Hawkeye stands a better chance of getting a solo movie at this point than Captain Marvel does.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    You mean female-led movie as in that females characters are the only protagonists ?.
    I mean a woman getting top billing. The woman being front and centre in the teaser, her name being in the biggest letters and in the first slot. Her being the primary driver of the story.

Spectacular Member

Luke Cage, Jesssica Jones, and Peggy Carter are all getting TV shows. While you may dismiss this as "not a movie", TV is the thing right now. Black Panther, Black Widow, and Carol are all in line to get a movie. The MCU is only six years old at this point. Give it some time, diversity is coming.

If I have to pick on of those 2 I go with Carol.

Neither is in my top 5 picks though. Maybe not top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    Luke Cage, Jesssica Jones, and Peggy Carter are all getting TV shows. While you may dismiss this as "not a movie", TV is the thing right now. Black Panther, Black Widow, and Carol are all in line to get a movie. The MCU is only six years old at this point. Give it some time, diversity is coming.
    A TV show's not a movie. It's also worth noting that Peggy Carter's getting an 8-episode season during Agents of SHIELD's hiatus, and Luke and Jessica are going to be on Netflix, rather than network TV.

And the other three are "in consideration" for movies. Doesn't mean they'll happen. And the question remains: How much time are we supposed to give Marvel? Another 5 years? 10? How long until we call bullshit?

Yeah yeah, find the right story. But why is it that female and minority leads don't fit the story they want to tell? They fit Ant-Man into their plans to appease Edgar Wright. They fit Guardians of the Galaxy into their plans. They're fitting Dr. Strange into their plans. They're fitting Inhumans into their plans. How long is the audience supposed to wait for a female or minority lead to fit Marvel's plans? 2018? 2020? 2028? How long can Marvel put it off before we call bullshit? Marvel Studio's made the conscious decision to have their plans revolve around white men. That's not just "the way it happened" - they chose which characters to use, and they chose to exclusively give the lead roles to white men.

And beyond that, this is an issue that's not going to go away. The longer they remain silent, the worse they look. They could go out tomorrow and say, "Yes, there will definitely, absolutely, 100% be at least one female- or minority-led movie released within the next 5 years." The people criticizing them would accept that. That's all Marvel needs to say. But they won't say that. And there could be any number of reasons they don't say it, but frankly, until they prove otherwise, I'm assuming it's because they actually don't have any plans for those movies right now. I'm going to assume Hawkeye stands a better chance of getting a solo movie at this point than Captain Marvel does.

I mean a woman getting top billing. The woman being front and centre in the teaser, her name being in the biggest letters and in the first slot. Her being the primary driver of the story.
    Yeah, because Gamora, Jane Foster and Black Widow had as much lines and screentime as Tony Stark's one-night-stands.