View Poll Results: WHO DO YOU WANT TO SEE IN A MOVIE MORE

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL (CAROL DANVERS)

    120 78.95%
  • MS MARVEL (KAMALA KHAN)

    32 21.05%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 143
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    Black Bolt is a white guy though. Seems fair to cast him as such. Black Bolt will get top billing because he will be played by a bigger actor than the actress playing Medusa. Top billing goes to the biggest star to bring in the biggest audience. Everyone loves Vin Diesel. "Vin Diesel is the star? Let's go see this movie."
    A bigger star doesn't necessarily mean a bigger role, for the record. Anthony Hopkins didn't get top billing for Thor. Top billing goes to the person with the most important role. If Black Bolt is given the biggest role, when he can't even speak, that suggests that Marvel Studios believes a mute white guy is more deserving of being the main character than any woman. They could make Crystal the main character, by having the story be about her leaving Attilan and bringing the Inhumans to the public eye. They could have Medusa be the main character by making Black Bolt more of a distant ruler and Medusa the more active leader. If they make Black Bolt the main character, then it's because they choose to make a movie where Black Bolt is the main character.

    The reason you don't start with Carol and Panther is because the casual audience, the one that makes up the most profit, doesn't know who they are. Most people know who Captain America is. Hulk is so well-known that his name is a word people use in English. His name became an actual word. these are characters everyone knows. You make a movie based on them. Guess what? People like it. So you make another. Now your movies are summer events and make a billion dollars. Now people trust your brand. No one will go see Black Panther. But a Marvel's Black Panther movie? After how good Cap and Guardians were? Yes we'll take three tickets and buy the DVD for our collection.
    Why couldn't Captain Marvel or Black Panther been in Phase 2? Why did they need to make GotG first? Why did they need to make Dr. Strange first? I'll give them a pass on Ant-Man because that Edgar Wright spent years fighting to make that movie. But for that matter, why did Phase 1 have to end on the specific date that it did? Why wasn't there room to fit a Captain Marvel movie in there?

    You want to know how long to wait? Wait until Phrase 3. 2018 will be ten years since Iron Man 1. I'd say if Marvel doesn't fill the 2017 or 2018 slot with Black Widow or Panther then they have dropped the ball. Then it's okay to complain. Right now, not enough time has passed. The MCU is still very new. We have 6 IPs so far. 6 and a bunch of sequels.

    Marvel is laying the foundation for it's universe. You establish a brand now, and people will trust you when you venture out of their comfort zone. Guardians proved this. And now Marvel can afford to take even greater risks.

    And again, next year you have Agent Carter, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. TV is attracting the big names now, and everyone wants to be a hero now. The time is coming.
    So 2018. If they don't have a female- or minority-led movie by 2018, then I can complain? Frankly, I think we should be complaining now, to make sure Marvel knows that they'd damned well better have one by 2018.

    And the cynic in me is going to keep assuming that 2018 will be Adam Warlock, or Hawkeye, or Thunderbolts with a white male lead, or Nova with Richard Rider in the role, or a new Punisher, or Daredevil getting another big-screen chance if his show's successful, or Captain Marvel with Mar-Vell in the role. Or any number of other straight white male leads.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member Xalfrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Carol Danvers IS Ms. Marvel.
    Hmm...well, until Marvel does something about that, have fun living in your alternate reality where Carol still held onto the mantle.

  3. #78
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Right now I think they are trying to make movies that appeal to the Action/Adventure/Thriller demographic, which is their primary customer base in the first place. And that just happens
    to be mainly white guys, just like their comic readers. They are building a reputation that they know exactly what they're doing, and the movies so far have been liked by all different
    demographics. But the audience is still 80-90% white dudes at most venues. There are some women there on their own, but you can tell by looking that the others are there because their
    significant other has drug them there. They may like the movie after seeing it, but most of them look like they would really rather be anywhere else. These people certainly aren't going to
    meet up for a girls' night out to the next Marvel movie. It would be a different story if Marvel movies attracted women to them like Twilight or something, but they don't. They attract men
    that way. So why go out of the way for such a small percentage of the female audience and run the risk of pissing off the largest portion of customers by making a movie nobody really
    wants? I didn't see each installment of Twilight progressively do things to draw in more male viewers, and that's fine. Why does every single thing have to be for every single person on
    this earth anyway?
    This is a popular mis-conception, but not 100% true. Almost 1/2 audience for action films are women/girls and they aren't all being dragged against their will. I have definitely seen groups of two and three girls going to see superhero films since at least X-men 2. But even barring that we've had movies like The Hunger Games, the Underworld series, the Resident Evil series, Tom Raider made enuff to get a sequel, and course Frozen was a big hit. Yet some folks insist on pointing to Electra and Catwoman as proof that you can't sell a female led action flick.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Carol for a movie, and a Kamala for a TV series, animated or live action, although I'd say animated due to budgetary limitations for live action shows.

  5. #80
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Neither. I don't feel where Kamala's story right now is "big enough" for a movie, tv would be cool and Carol has never been interesting on her own.

  6. #81
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Neither deserve anything. Both characters havn' t reached a level of success where it would be a financial no brainer for marvels studios. There are also a few characters that are female that would/could logically be argued that actually deserve the movie spot more. However, who should get a movie first between the two is another matter altogether. While I would prefer a Kamala film over a Carol film Carol should come first. Because without Carol you really don't have a Ms. Marvel in the same vein without Mar-cell there really is no Carol. So if a Carol movie gets made Mar-bell should be heavily featured otherwise the true purpose/inspiration of the character is missed.

    And those clamoring for why hasn't it happen sooner? Simple answer: people are in business to make money and the products they think will bring them the most money will always come first. Frige I said he/they have a plan on how they want each movie to come and connect to the other. So far the guy hasn't lied and he is on track with what he said originally. If it's to slow for you tough. Enjoy the ride because the films you want are coming just like he said they would.

  7. #82
    Rachel Grey-Summers Sardorim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Only because Marvel doesn't want the rights to the name "Captain Marvel" relapsing back to DC. And the spinoff is actually outselling and outdoing the original series on every level.

    Heck, at the rate she's going, Kamala may end up becoming the Inhuman answer to Wolverine.
    Carol's spin-off isn't doing well not because of Carol but because most cosmic things are hard sells when they aren't either a team or involved with an Event(s).

    I personally don't care at all for her alien supporting cast as they really aren't that interesting to me.

  8. #83

    Default

    I think Carol would be work best if introduced in an Avengers movie. Maybe part of a rival team started by the government that's more accountable? If she grabs a lot of attention, go with a movie. Kamala would probably be best introduced as part of something like the SHIELD TV series or a Marvel cartoon. Build up exposure among the younger fanbase, then maybe she gets a movie down the road.

  9. #84
    BANNED dragonmp93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    They're still not the ones getting top billing. They're still second-fiddle. They're still supporting the men.
    So you agree with what i said eralier, about that they didnt had roles bigger than than Tony Stark's one-night-stands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm not expecting Luke Cage costumes to be a big hit the Halloween after that show debuts. If Black Panther got a movie, those costumes would be a hit. The shows may do reasonably well, but they're not likely to be the huge pop culture hits that movies would be.


    2017 will probably be Inhumans (and I'm expecting Black Bolt to still be the lead there, because even a white guy who doesn't talk is better, in Hollywood's mind, than a woman). So 2018 will be the very earliest a woman or minority could get a solo film, and honestly? I would not be the least bit surprised if they still didn't do it. If they still found yet another white guy to give a movie to, instead. Or a group with a white guy at the head.


    That's bullshit. First of all, 40% of comic readers are women, and 50% of movie-goers are women. Actually, last year, it was 52%. More than half of movie-goers are women, and Marvel's still stalling on actually getting a female-led movie greenlit.

    But fine, let's say that most of those women are there on dates. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was a huge hit, and I don't think it was guys dragging girls there. It was an action movie with a female lead, and women flocked to watch it. But you think that a Captain Marvel movie wouldn't get that reaction?

    On top of that . . . Why is it that women and minorities are expected to relate to the white male protagonists, but there's no expectation that white men can relate to female and minority protagonists? Captain America is someone we're all supposed to relate to, but Captain Marvel isn't? I see that argument brought up in every discussion on diversity, to explain why diversity basically isn't necessary. If women can relate to a male protagonist, then any man who can't relate to a female protagonist is just a douchebag anyway. You really think there are that many douchebags in the movie-going audience?
    Well, the Hunger Games had Jennifer Lawrence being badass in it, so why a man wouldnt want to see it ?. But do you know how many men were dragged into watching the Twilight saga ?.

    And do you know what percentage of the female audience was there for a reason besides of drooling on Loki, Thor, Captain America, Starlord, etc ?
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 09-02-2014 at 09:19 AM.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    So you agree with what i said eralier, about that they didnt had roles bigger than than Tony Stark's one-night-stands.
    No, obviously I disagree with that, because it's a terribly comparison. There's been plenty of women in important roles. But they're still supporting characters.

    Well, the Hunger Games had Jennifer Lawrence being badass in it, so why a man wouldnt want to see it ?. But do you know how many men were dragged into watching the Twilight saga ?.

    And do you know what percentage of the female audience was there for a reason besides of drooling on Loki, Thor, Captain America, Starlord, etc ?
    I would assume most of the women who go to the Marvel movies have a reason beyond ogling the men. Movie tickets are expensive, and porn is free. If the women just wanted to look at sexy men, they could go on the Internet. They watch the movies for the same reason the men do: They're fun movies.

  11. #86
    BANNED dragonmp93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    No, obviously I disagree with that, because it's a terribly comparison. There's been plenty of women in important roles. But they're still supporting characters.


    I would assume most of the women who go to the Marvel movies have a reason beyond ogling the men. Movie tickets are expensive, and porn is free. If the women just wanted to look at sexy men, they could go on the Internet. They watch the movies for the same reason the men do: They're fun movies.
    Well, then how do you explain the "50 shades of grey" movie, that it will be released next year ?.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 09-02-2014 at 10:09 AM.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, then how do you explain the "50 shades of grey" movie, that it will be released next year ?.
    People enjoyed the story. Shitty as the book was, there was a plot to go along with the sex. It conjured certain moods and feelings in the readers. The people who go to the movie will be going for those moods and feelings.

    Are you seriously trying to suggest that women go to movies to drool over guys? Because that is an awful and condescending thing to suggest.

  13. #88
    BANNED dragonmp93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    People enjoyed the story. Shitty as the book was, there was a plot to go along with the sex. It conjured certain moods and feelings in the readers. The people who go to the movie will be going for those moods and feelings.

    Are you seriously trying to suggest that women go to movies to drool over guys? Because that is an awful and condescending thing to suggest.
    Well, is not like there isnt allegations that the men went to see the Avengers and the Winter Soldier movies just to drool over Black Widow............................................. ...

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    264

    Default

    What if they featured both in the same movie? Call it Ms Marvel, and save the Captain title for a follow up movie. Have Kamala gets powers from the Inhumans movie. Have Carol be the military/shield person assigned to tracking her down/watching out for her. Attack from kree threat and they have no time to call in anyone else. Some accident which causes Carol to get her powers near the end. Boom sets her up for a sequel or avengers movie, and give Kamala a chance to shine.

  15. #90
    Senior Member Qwathings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Neither deserves anything, they're fictional characters.

    As for fans, the Captain Marvel fans have been waiting longer for their character to get a movie, so they might deserve it more. Although, there's a lack of ethnic and cultural diversity in superhero movies, so in that regard fans that wants some diversity in a movie deserve it more.

    Captain Marvel does have a bigger and richer history to delve into. Ms. Marvel was inspired by Captain Marvel, and it's hard to be a legacy character when there's no ones legacy to follow. Marvel's cosmic universe was a huge hit in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and so following up that success with a Captain Marvel movie that brings more of those cosmic ideas down to earth would build off of the momentum that Guardians has created.

    I don't know about deserving, but in my mind there are some good reasons to go with a Captain Marvel movie first.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •