Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Oh wow. Yeah, that would be an interesting angle to explore.

But I think Gaia plus Athena should remain central even if Hera gets a more sympathetic role. Though that could be my bias speaking, I've always been Team Athena when it comes to the Goddesses.
    Speaking of Athena, can you imagine if Ancient Greco-Roman times had online forums and Twitter when Ovid randomly retconned Medusa's origin and had Athena be the one to unfairly curse her?

That hack Ovid just character assassinated Athena to prop up his pet Medusa!
    Wow, do they just hand out poet licenses to everyone nowadays? Hire the worshippers, they can do a better job than that hackjob Ovid!
    Talk about not knowing the character beats of the goddess he's writing about! This man's misogyny is showing
    Wow, men really do feel threatened by powerful women even if they are fictional. Look @ this disrespectful Ovid. Athena, sweetie, I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Hera was the original Queen of the Heavens in many versions like the Idylls and Pausanias's retelling. Zeus transformed into a cuckoo and created a terrible storm pretending to be in danger, and Hera rescued the bird as she was fond of animals. Zeus then transformed back into himself and forced himself on her. The gods then had to arrange a marriage between them and then Zeus took the title of King and superseded Hera coz I guess patriarchy.
    This would be a fantastic story beat/worldbuilding lore to have in the actual Wonder Woman book. Maybe a story specifically about Hera were Diana (and by extension the readers) would learn more about the actual history of the Gods.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I think the main problem is trying to figure out just how much "power" Diana should get from the get-go. If she's already special with powers even more so than just being born from Clay then, why have a contest? Diana is going to win out of the sheer difference between her and the other amazons. If Hippolyta forbids her from participating the next logical step would be sneaking in which is the same outcome as just letting her in or stealing the armor and lasso via the movie/animated shows. Would she not just be a child of prophesy? Like the gods ordained this and now her time has come type thing.

In Perez's run he did have Athena add the caveat of Diana only getting these powers as she "learns and grows into womanhood" but, then like what is she doing on the Island for thousands of years? not growing and learning?

It shouldn't be a contest, it should be a test/ challenge to see if Diana is ready for the world outside. Diana should have these powers from birth, and the Amazons would create superhuman training techniques just for her. Think of something like this:

And then when Diana says she wants to see the world out there they all create a massive physical trial that pushes her to the edge of her amazing superphysical limits.

She shouldn't be compared to the rest of the amazons, she has to be measured by her own scale.

Last edited by Alpha; 05-26-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I think the main problem is trying to figure out just how much "power" Diana should get from the get-go. If she's already special with powers even more so than just being born from Clay then, why have a contest? Diana is going to win out of the sheer difference between her and the other amazons. If Hippolyta forbids her from participating the next logical step would be sneaking in which is the same outcome as just letting her in or stealing the armor and lasso via the movie/animated shows. Would she not just be a child of prophesy? Like the gods ordained this and now her time has come type thing.

In Perez's run he did have Athena add the caveat of Diana only getting these powers as she "learns and grows into womanhood" but, then like what is she doing on the Island for thousands of years? not growing and learning?
    this is one of the things the demi-goddess origin messed up. If it's innate power, does it give her an unfair edge in the contest? Hmm then again, part of the contest is demonstrating ability... physical or otherwise. I suppose being the strongest, for daddy Zeus reasons, counts towards being the "best Amazon".

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It shouldn't be a contest, it should be a test/ challenge to see if Diana is ready for the world outside. Diana should have these powers from birth, and the Amazons would create superhuman training techniques just for her. Think of something like this:

And then when Diana says she wants to see the world out there they all create a massive physical trial that pushes her to the edge of her amazing superphysical limits.

She shouldn't be compared to the rest of the amazons, she has to be measured by her own scale.

So, like child of prophesy then. The gods ordained Diana's birth and granted her blessings that they may call upon her to use in the future. Steve Trevor lands on the island, this is the omen of the Gods. The amazons having spent thousands of years training and educating Diana are like "alright, your time has come, the prophesy is being fulfilled, time to see if you are ready."

Same with Nubia and her coming through the well? Gods granted her the same gifts as Diana, and sent her to fight the demons and monsters of the underworld?

Yes of course. Although I wouldn't make that Diana's motivation. She trains because she strives towards her full potential. And she leaves the island because she desires a purpose and she wants to see everything the world has to offer, good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    In the George Perez reboot of Wonder Woman, Diana was brought to life by Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis, Demeter, Hessia, and Hermes.

Is there a God/Goddess you would add or replace for another?
    None. Why are you guys so constantly obsessed with re-writing her origin..?

I’d stick to the Perez empowerment by Demeter, Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis, Hestia and Hermes. Before the Zeus father origin, I had a story in mind that involved Hera empowering Hippolyta for a time to explore additional pantheon members with the Amazons. There was a Queen of the Gods and Queen of the Amazons thing I wanted to explore.

My ideal, average Amazons are superhuman to an extent compared to the people of Man’s World - a factor of living on Themyscira and Amazon Training, so we can work the latter back into the history and culture of the Amazons.

For me, I’m comfortable with the goddesses and god I mentioned bestowing her soul with her powers before she’s brought to life with the limitation that they’ll only be revealed to her if and when she’s proven herself worthy of them… that allows me to have my cake and eat it too I guess… Diana still has a great destiny awaiting her, but she also to work for it and train to be the best alongside and amongst her sisters. That alters her Bildungsroman on the island a bit and levels the arena and tests in the Contest to become the Champion of the Amazons and Emissary to Patriarch’s World.

Well, my answer would be power suppressors that put her on an equal footing with the rest of the Amazons.

As for her powers, I think she should have all of them from birth. She could already fly, move at super speed and lift heavy objects. Maybe some like super strength grew over time as she got older and got more training. Others like the 'hunters eye' that Artemis granted her are stuff that she had to train to develop.

Also, I don't think the contest should be limited to just stuff one can win via being stronger and faster. There should be intellectual challenges and challenges that are about how you would use your ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Speaking of Athena, can you imagine if Ancient Greco-Roman times had online forums and Twitter when Ovid randomly retconned Medusa's origin and had Athena be the one to unfairly curse her?
    lol, Ovid was the Azzarello of Greek mythos.

"Here is my 10 tablet explanation of why Ovid sucks and his take on Medusa and Arachnid stinks worse than the backside of a mule."

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I'd have Diana be sculpted from clay and have Gaia bring her to life. Have her live and train as a regular amazon and go through/win the contest on equal footing. Then, she gets her powers from the other gods/goddesses. This would I believe showcase that Diana gets her gifts via skills and smarts that she trained for and studied for on her own. She earned them.

I would have Demeter, Hermes, Artemis, Apollo, Hecate, Athena, and Aphrodite; with Athena and Aphro being the ones that Diana interacts with the most.
    I agree with your general concept, tho I'd have her get her powers exclusively from goddesses. With one exception.
    After their first adventure, Ares would give Diana a boon of "being able to experience the thrill of battle" which in practical terms would be a weakness, either the classical weakness to piercing weapons, or a more specific one to bullets

My logic for having Disdain as one of her sources of power is basically the inverse of Diana adding some of her blood to Deva's makeup. Also, it'd be an elseworld or some other sort of "bad" timeline. The idea being that Disdain is doing it to give WW a bad side, a dark urge that she doesn't LIKE.

Which is the opposite of what Diana did to Deva. Diana wanted to give Deva the ability to make her own choices, and this gentle whisper in the back of her mind that makes her question if being evil is... what she wants to be. Could be a neat idea as an elseworld.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My logic for having Disdain as one of her sources of power is basically the inverse of Diana adding some of her blood to Deva's makeup. Also, it'd be an elseworld or some other sort of "bad" timeline. The idea being that Disdain is doing it to give WW a bad side, a dark urge that she doesn't LIKE.

Which is the opposite of what Diana did to Deva. Diana wanted to give Deva the ability to make her own choices, and this gentle whisper in the back of her mind that makes her question if being evil is... what she wants to be. Could be a neat idea as an elseworld.
    Oh Iike that idea! I feel like Hecate in Witching Hour kind of had a similar theme no? I don't remember that well