Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    It may be too soon to say this definitively - Hera is the mastermind behind Hippolyta's rise to power and she's the only one who doesn't have her own Amazons, so it's possible that she creates Diana in lieu of a tribe. Seems like it's on track to go the Perez "each patron gives her blessing" route with the seventh tribe representing all of the goddesses, but they've taken some unexpected twists and turns so far.

Either way I'm also considering the Historia origin canon so I'm on board with whatever Kelly Sue decides to do. And Gene Ha described vol. 3 as an exploration of "earthly love" on Twitter so I have a feeling we'll find out in the next issue
    I think you're on to something. I think Diana is going to be Hera's contribution to the fight against patriarchy, entrusting her to Hippolyta's care.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Gaia, mother of Titans just because

I did love the "Gaia is her source of life/power" origin from Legend of Wonder Woman. It was a more celestial conception of Gaia where she embodied creation/life in the universe, so Diana didn't get any specific elemental powers or anything - she just sorta became a goddess, which is honestly a great look for her. And in terms of origins where she's a normal Amazon until after she leaves the island, the LoWW story (her divine powers laying dormant until she proves herself as a mortal) was FAR more compelling and emotional than the Year One explanation where the gods kinda just showed up and gave her powers without much fanfare.

The only issue is that it's maybe a little too similar to the Raava the light spirit thing from Legend of Korra/Avatar (which predated LoWW by a few years). But still, I'd be thrilled if it were canonized over Daddy Zeus.

I did love the "Gaia is her source of life/power" origin from Legend of Wonder Woman. It was a more celestial conception of Gaia where she embodied creation/life in the universe, so Diana didn't get any specific elemental powers or anything - she just sorta became a goddess, which is honestly a great look for her. And in terms of origins where she's a normal Amazon until after she leaves the island, the LoWW story (her divine powers laying dormant until she proves herself as a mortal) was FAR more compelling and emotional than the Year One explanation where the gods kinda just showed up and gave her powers without much fanfare.

The only issue is that it's maybe a little too similar to the Raava the light spirit thing from Legend of Korra/Avatar (which predated LoWW by a few years). But still, I'd be thrilled if it were canonized over Daddy Zeus.
    I think there are more than enough differences between the two for it not to matter.

I agree about the YO moment feeling a little anti climatic.

I'm still too attached to the moment in Perez's run when the gods brought Diana to life and blessed her with powers. That was such an epic moment that I'm not sure I'm read to give up.

I think a work around would be that Diana's powers were suppressed via her bracelets and that allowed her to compete with other Amazons fairly in the Contest. Then Hippolyta unlocks her powers at the end, symbolizing her letting go of her daughter and allowing her to be free.

But I don't think every thing has to be fixed in Diana's origin, she could still start out powered by the Goddesses just like in the Perez run and at some point later on she switches to being powered by Gaia entirely.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Or how about the Goddesses all being loyal to Gaia and acting as her agents and only pretending to be loyal to Zeus? That was a strong implication in the Perez run.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Or how about the Goddesses all being loyal to Gaia and acting as her agents and only pretending to be loyal to Zeus? That was a strong implication in the Perez run.
    If they go that route then I'd prefer it to be Hera playing a long game instead of Gaia. After all, Zeus only snatched the throne of Olympus from her through treachery and rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    If they go that route then I'd prefer it to be Hera playing a long game instead of Gaia. After all, Zeus only snatched the throne of Olympus from her through treachery and rape.
    Wait, which version of the myth was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, which version of the myth was this?
    Hera was the original Queen of the Heavens in many versions like the Idylls and Pausanias's retelling. Zeus transformed into a cuckoo and created a terrible storm pretending to be in danger, and Hera rescued the bird as she was fond of animals. Zeus then transformed back into himself and forced himself on her. The gods then had to arrange a marriage between them and then Zeus took the title of King and superseded Hera coz I guess patriarchy.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-25-2022 at 05:25 AM. Reason: *Some historians also believe that Hera was worshipped as a god before Zeus as her temple predates his.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I agree about the YO moment feeling a little anti climatic.

I'm still too attached to the moment in Perez's run when the gods brought Diana to life and blessed her with powers. That was such an epic moment that I'm not sure I'm read to give up.

I think a work around would be that Diana's powers were suppressed via her bracelets and that allowed her to compete with other Amazons fairly in the Contest. Then Hippolyta unlocks her powers at the end, symbolizing her letting go of her daughter and allowing her to be free.

But I don't think every thing has to be fixed in Diana's origin, she could still start out powered by the Goddesses just like in the Perez run and at some point later on she switches to being powered by Gaia entirely.
    I’m 100% with you re: Perez’s run, though as I said before I’m pretty much considering Historia the definitive canon at this point and we don’t know what angle they’re taking yet. The moment with the Well of Souls and the fact that she’s basically the Amazons’ creation myth in one package is waaaay too symbolically important to dismiss for the sake of streamlining IMO. But I still thought the Gaia thing was creative and interesting, and I’d take a lot of things over the Zeus origin.

And honestly there have been enough good origin stories that remove the contest entirely or just have her powers manifest after she leaves the island that it’s not really a huge issue. The movie does both and still tells a good story.

I would not adhere to the usual "only Olympian deities can play" rulebook that has been consistent throughout WW's various runs. I would definitely make the deities gifting powers to Diana all female, but they would be a mixed group of deities, like some Olympians and some non-Olympians. My "roll call" would be Athena, Hestia, Aletheia, Artemis, Amphitrite, Nike, and Gaea. 7 goddesses, seven gifts.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'd always want to keep Hermes in there tbh. Having a male god branch off and not be a douche is a great thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    HISTORIA is my personal canon for Wonder Woman going forward. So Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hecate, Hera, and Hestia.
    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I would not adhere to the usual "only Olympian deities can play" rulebook that has been consistent throughout WW's various runs. I would definitely make the deities gifting powers to Diana all female, but they would be a mixed group of deities, like some Olympians and some non-Olympians. My "roll call" would be Athena, Hestia, Aletheia, Artemis, Amphitrite, Nike, and Gaea. 7 goddesses, seven gifts.
    Glad some people mentioned Hestia, Goddess of Hearth, Home, and Family. And probably the best of her siblings (including Hades).

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I'd always want to keep Hermes in there tbh. Having a male god branch off and not be a douche is a great thing imo.
    Hermes and Hephaestus, definitely. Maybe Hades too. But it should be majority ladies with Athena, Aphrodite and Artemis clearly being the ones in charge.

Hera was the original Queen of the Heavens in many versions like the Idylls and Pausanias's retelling. Zeus transformed into a cuckoo and created a terrible storm pretending to be in danger, and Hera rescued the bird as she was fond of animals. Zeus then transformed back into himself and forced himself on her. The gods then had to arrange a marriage between them and then Zeus took the title of King and superseded Hera coz I guess patriarchy.
    Oh wow. Yeah, that would be an interesting angle to explore.

But I think Gaia plus Athena should remain central even if Hera gets a more sympathetic role. Though that could be my bias speaking, I've always been Team Athena when it comes to the Goddesses.

I’m 100% with you re: Perez’s run, though as I said before I’m pretty much considering Historia the definitive canon at this point and we don’t know what angle they’re taking yet. The moment with the Well of Souls and the fact that she’s basically the Amazons’ creation myth in one package is waaaay too symbolically important to dismiss for the sake of streamlining IMO. But I still thought the Gaia thing was creative and interesting, and I’d take a lot of things over the Zeus origin.

And honestly there have been enough good origin stories that remove the contest entirely or just have her powers manifest after she leaves the island that it’s not really a huge issue. The movie does both and still tells a good story.
    I love Historia so far. But I'm waiting to see how it all looks in the end before judging.

I don't think anything is going to shake Perez's run as the default for Diana in my mind though.

I think the Contest is way too important to dismiss. Adaptations do it for the sake of running but it's too important, imo. A few years ago, I might have agreed with you but after reading the Marston run and seeing how they used it to showcase Amazonian culture, I now believe it's too vital to ignore.

I think the WW mythos should be approached as if they were an actual mythology instead of some out-of-sight corner of the DCU. It should be like Star Wars. In this analogy Diana's story would be the Original Trilogy, lighter and more accessible for all ages. Hippolyta and an Amazons show would the Prequel Trilogy; darker and dealing with more mature topics. While Donna/Cassie/Yara would be the Sequel Trilogy (hopefully better written). Which would put Nubia and Artemis as the equivalents of the Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi.