Mighty Member

Default MCU Illuminati vs MCU Thanos & co.

What do you think happened exactly?

We see Thanos impaled but not his crew.

Black bolt's voice, Xavier's mind powers, Carter's courage probably all played a part.

It may also have involved other AU characters : Iron Man (Stane), Panther (Erik) etc.

YOUR thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    What do you think happened exactly?

We see Thanos impaled but not his crew.

Black bolt's voice, Xavier's mind powers, Carter's courage probably all played a part.

It may also have involved other AU characters : Iron Man (Stane), Panther (Erik) etc.

YOUR thoughts on this?
    This is 2016 Thanos vs MOM Illuminati? Thanos wins Mr F can't do anything to him BB isn't going to put him down Prof x doesn't have the showings mantis has Carter is DOA CM doesn't have half the power the main MCU CM had this is a stomp.

I think he means what most likely happened during their fight in the movie.

I guess thanos has mental defenses, always alluded to with mantis but now i guess confirmed, because they couldnt beat him without darkhold strange.

They said the illuminati beat him, so xmen or the other fantastic four members were not involved.

About the 838 cm showings… the exact same thing happened to her to create this captain marvel. And while we shouldnt give feats of other versions to every character we should atleast acknowledge they should be in the same ball park.

If i get magneto’s powers i shouldnt be handwaved his skill and all his best feats, but i do have his powers..
    If i get the comic gem of cyttorak and turn into the juggernaut i do get his powerset , but not his feats

If we go overboard with this than captain carter is barely above hawkeye phsycially, or dare devil, because she has no feats at all. Yet she still got the super soldier serum.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    If we go overboard with this than captain carter is barely above hawkeye phsycially, or dare devil, because she has no feats at all. Yet she still got the super soldier serum.
    I haven't been following the MCU closely, but I assumed that the Captain Carter in Dr Strange 2 was the same one from the animated What If series?

Which would give her a bunch of feats to draw upon.

Is it meant to be a different version?

Nope, 2 different captain carters, one belongs to the illuminati and the other to the guardians of the multiverse.

Nope, 2 different captain carters, one belongs to the illuminati and the other to the guardians of the multiverse.
    ... wut?

So, to check I have this correct: Marvel created a whole actual character for Captain Carter in the What If series, presumably to introduce her to audiences, causing them to invest in her somewhat and provide her with a distinct backstory, and then, when the time came for her to logically appear in the main MCU films, opted to have an alternate version of that same character who we've never seen before in Dr Strange 2 and then killed that version off?

God that is some headass writing.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    ... wut?

So, to check I have this correct: Marvel created a whole actual character for Captain Carter in the What If series, presumably to introduce her to audiences, causing them to invest in her somewhat and provide her with a distinct backstory, and then, when the time came for her to logically appear in the main MCU films, opted to have an alternate version of that same character who we've never seen before in Dr Strange 2 and then killed that version off?

God that is some headass writing.
    I think it was originally meant to be the What If version, but when Raimi decided to kill most of the Illuminati off, I imagine the studio decided it would be better if it was just an alternate, that way they could still do whatever they wanted with the better Captain Carter.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I think it was originally meant to be the What If version, but when Raimi decided to kill most of the Illuminati off, I imagine the studio decided it would be better if it was just an alternate, that way they could still do whatever they wanted with the better Captain Carter.
    Raimi isn't credited as a writer on MOM, apparently Michael Waldron is the sole writer.

Also making it "just an alternate," is part of my point. You just killed a random dude who we don't know, had no prior connection to and will likely never see again.

Why should anyone care about the death?

Ah, because it is the cinema of jingling keys. Wave around a couple of action figures and have them explode dramatically.

Emotional journey doesn't matter, storytelling doesn't matter; audience connection is to purely the iconography of a superhero not to the actual character themselves.

I'm gonna shut up now because I don't think anyone wants to hear me complain about the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Raimi isn't credited as a writer on MOM, apparently Michael Waldron is the sole writer.

Also making it "just an alternate," is part of my point. You just killed a random dude who we don't know, had no prior connection to and will likely never see again.

Why should anyone care about the death?

Ah, because it is the cinema of jingling keys. Wave around a couple of action figures and have them explode dramatically.

Emotional journey doesn't matter, storytelling doesn't matter; audience connection is to purely the iconography of a superhero not to the actual character themselves.

I'm gonna shut up now because I don't think anyone wants to hear me complain about the MCU.
    I agree with you bud hehe, they were all kind of throw aways, same goes for mr fantastic, we dont know anything about him but most likely we will see another version of him.

The 838 illuminati were all just fluff and they also died like punks, only to make the audience see how badass sw is

Basically, you *wish* it was an alt, because MOM Captain Carter was sort of an ass, and honestly What If? Captain Carter deserved better.

As it is, there is no definitive proof that they are separate characters, but neither is there that they aren't.

About the 838 cm showings… the exact same thing happened to her to create this captain marvel. And while we shouldnt give feats of other versions to every character we should atleast acknowledge they should be in the same ball park.

If i get magneto’s powers i shouldnt be handwaved his skill and all his best feats, but i do have his powers..
    If i get the comic gem of cyttorak and turn into the juggernaut i do get his powerset , but not his feats

Unfortunately that's how it works ether go by showings or do a lot of guessing there are loop holes of course like DBZ power scaling or ABC logic but as of right now captain carter isn't above hawkeye black widow or dare devil.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Rather than try to argue stuff for or against people with no/almost no feats, it's better to just say 'They don't have feats, so we actually don't know what to do with them or where they sit. IF they were up with their presentation, then XYZ, but we really have nothing so it's speculation either way.'

And leave it at that.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Basically, you *wish* it was an alt, because MOM Captain Carter was sort of an ass, and honestly What If? Captain Carter deserved better.

As it is, there is no definitive proof that they are separate characters, but neither is there that they aren't.
    I think they said they will continue most of the story lines from season 1 what if to season 2. So we should see her again when she found steve in the hydra container.