Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The Never Retirement Syndrome !

I once knew an older lady who worked at a retail place. She was very sweet and had tons of energy it seems. I had thought she was in her 50's or maybe early 60's. Given how well she moved around and all. Then one day while chatting she revealed to me she was in her late 70's. That she had kids and just enjoyed working so much as I joked about retirement. That working was something she had done since she was a teenager and couldn't see herself quitting.

Sadly for this sweet lady she was soon let go. That her age and position ending meant she was gonna be let go. She told me she was fine retiring but really wanted to go out on her terms. That she has her grand kids and was ok with it.

I felt for that woman who was being told her time was ending with what she loved. A lot of people love the jobs they do and don't wanna walk away from it. That what they do is something that is all they want. A fact that as this Ric Flair picture shows you , its all he loves to do in life.

Ric Flair is returning to the ring at 74. He will be wrestling his last match he claims. Its one of those WTF moments and have many questioning Flair's wisdom at this. Pro wrestling is fake sure but the physical toll taken can be hard. And with a man who has a pacemaker in his chest like Flair its very wild to see this. Flair himself is claiming doctors have cleared him and he's been working out and doing practice bumps to work this match for weeks.

Before people think Flair is crazy at 74 to return for this ; in the past others have returned and wrestled into their 70's. The great Lou Thesz worked a match at 73 in Japan back in 1990. It was his final match then. In the 2010's in his 70s , Terry Funk wrestled as well. So a lot of these guys continue on past an age where many are collecting Social Security.

Perhaps the most famous non-retirement this year is Tom Brady. Months ago Brady after playing past years where most NFL QB's were on golf courses ; suddenly announced he was retiring after 22 seasons. Brady who loves competing seemed content to walk away and be content being a 7 time Super Bowl Champion and perhaps the greatest QB in NFL History. Everything seemed set that Brady was done....

Then he started thinking about it all. Like a Brett Farve in 2008 who later changed his mind on retiring from the game ....Brady saw his love of playing still there. He just couldn't walk away from the sport he's played since he was a kid. This was a love of something where he just had to return for 1 more season.

People can question Brady's wisdom of playing at 44 or 45. But as one of the greatest players he clearly knows what he wants and ala Flair...he seems to be physically cleared for it.

This seems to echo a lot of folks in life at times. A number of older people keep going and don't really want to retire. In fact I was in a local shop where an older man was teased about retiring .. "Yeah I'd get bored sitting at home after so long..."

That seems to be the mind set many have. They aren't ready to pack it in yet. That they still have something left.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Good for them. I know I plan to retire someday from the career I've had but already think about what I will do afterward. I also think most professional athletes go out like Muhammad Ali -- carried out -- rather than a Jim Brown, Calvin Johnson or Barry Sanders, who stopped playing in their primes. But I'm for it. Hell, the Rolling Stones are touring this summer. Keep doing what you love as long as you're healthy for as long as you can, especially if someone will pay you to do it.

I love Flair and I love Brady. So you know where I stand on all of this. Work as long as you happy at any age. My grandmother worked till she was 79 and loved it. I am 40 years old and work very hard in a busy Boston emergency room. I will be here the rest of my life and I am happy with that.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Good for them. I know I plan to retire someday from the career I've had but already think about what I will do afterward. I also think most professional athletes go out like Muhammad Ali -- carried out -- rather than a Jim Brown, Calvin Johnson or Barry Sanders, who stopped playing in their primes. But I'm for it. Hell, the Rolling Stones are touring this summer. Keep doing what you love as long as you're healthy for as long as you can, especially if someone will pay you to do it.
    Well, in the case of Megatron and Sanders, they chose early retirement rather than continue playing for the toothless and hapless Detroit Lions.

Speaking for myself, I’m 63 and have been working for the federal government for 23 years now. I could’ve retired three years ago, but, I’ve stuck around, even though the job I do isn’t all that, still, I have gas in the tank and enjoy the routine of going to work five days a week. I worry that if I retire, I’ll miss that routine, but, I occasionally debate whether I need to keep going, if I could find something else to fill the hours once I decide to call it quits. At this point, I’m not sure, at least not today. Tomorrow? Who knows.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Good for them. I know I plan to retire someday from the career I've had but already think about what I will do afterward. I also think most professional athletes go out like Muhammad Ali -- carried out -- rather than a Jim Brown, Calvin Johnson or Barry Sanders, who stopped playing in their primes...
    In Jim Brown's case he had the looks, talent and persona to have a second career as a movie actor. Love him in The Grasshopper, The Dirty Dozen, Ice Station Zebra and many other flicks. One of the best-looking men to ever grace the silver screen!
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 05-25-2022 at 03:58 PM.

All-New Member

I also believe that the majority of professional athletes end their careers in the same manner as Muhammad Ali, who was carried out of the ring, rather than in the manner of Jim Brown, Calvin Johnson, or Barry Sanders, who ceased playing while they were at the height of their careers. But I support this idea. What the hell, the Rolling Stones are going on tour this summer.

dordle
    Last edited by granitetrapped; 06-05-2022 at 08:05 PM.