Incredible Member

Default Metahumans discussion

I heard somewhere that Metahumans are DC's version of the X-men. Some of these X-men are the most powerful mutants, or even beings, in their universe. They're still humans, but some of them can give even Thor a run for his money. I think Metahumans are the same in that all their powers come from within though i might be wrong about that. The thing is I don't often see people really talk about DC's metahumans like they do the X-men, for obvious reasons. The most I've seen of the topic is from the Young Justice show with the Metahuman trafficking problem.

Now we know the most powerful aliens in DC are the Kryptonians, Martians, and Green Lanterns (that ones a little cheap). We know the magic side of DC also have their fair share of heavy hitters, as well as the science based heroes. We got the top dog aliens like Superman and Martian Manhunter. Strong magic/mystical based heros like Wonder Woman, Shazam, Dr. Fate, Aquaman and Zatanna. Some crazy science/tech based(?) heroes like Flash, GL (again the fall into a weird class) Mister Terrific, Cyborg (when he's not getting ripped apart). We even know of the greatest Martial Artist to wall from this century to the 31st like Batman, Cassandra Cain, Karate Kid, Dick Grayson, Lady Shiva, Black canary.

I don't remember if their was poll on here about discussing who everyone's favorite Metahumans are. But I know that the most popular incarnations of the Justice League don't have a metahuman on the team, I think? So I thought of opening up a Metahuman discussion. Who are your top favorite Metahumans? Who of them are powerful enough to stand beside Superman and Wonderwoman? Which of them can go toe to toe with the most dangerous DC villains and come out on top?

The metahuman gene is a way to explain how a human would survive a typical superhero “lab accident” origin. The gene allows a person to hyper adapt to what would normally be deadly trauma.

Someone struck by lightning and doused in chemicals doesn’t get burned to a crisp because their meta gene kicks in a allows them to survive by adapting superpowers. Meta genes can have different effects on people. Barry got lucky as he got the ability to move at light speed. Some other person’s metagene may have turned them into an electricity monster.

The Fantastic Four would definitely have the metagene in the DCU.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-24-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I heard somewhere that Metahumans are DC's version of the X-men. Some of these X-men are the most powerful mutants, or even beings, in their universe. They're still humans, but some of them can give even Thor a run for his money. I think Metahumans are the same in that all their powers come from within though i might be wrong about that. The thing is I don't often see people really talk about DC's metahumans like they do the X-men, for obvious reasons. The most I've seen of the topic is from the Young Justice show with the Metahuman trafficking problem.

Now we know the most powerful aliens in DC are the Kryptonians, Martians, and Green Lanterns (that ones a little cheap). We know the magic side of DC also have their fair share of heavy hitters, as well as the science based heroes. We got the top dog aliens like Superman and Martian Manhunter. Strong magic/mystical based heros like Wonder Woman, Shazam, Dr. Fate, Aquaman and Zatanna. Some crazy science/tech based(?) heroes like Flash, GL (again the fall into a weird class) Mister Terrific, Cyborg (when he's not getting ripped apart). We even know of the greatest Martial Artist to wall from this century to the 31st like Batman, Cassandra Cain, Karate Kid, Dick Grayson, Lady Shiva, Black canary.

I don't remember if their was poll on here about discussing who everyone's favorite Metahumans are. But I know that the most popular incarnations of the Justice League don't have a metahuman on the team, I think? So I thought of opening up a Metahuman discussion. Who are your top favorite Metahumans? Who of them are powerful enough to stand beside Superman and Wonderwoman? Which of them can go toe to toe with the most dangerous DC villains and come out on top?
    DC's metahumans aren't similar to X Men in the sense that there's no team dedicated solely to metahuman issues. The meta gene, similar to the X gene is just a blanket explanation n how all these characters have different powers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The metahuman gene is a way to explain how a human would survive a typical superhero “lab accident” origin. The gene allows a person to hyper adapt to what would normally be deadly trauma.

Someone struck by lightning and doused in chemicals doesn’t get burned to a crisp because their meta gene kicks in a allows them to survive by adapting superpowers. Meta genes can have different effects on people. Barry got lucky as he got the ability to move at light speed. Some other person’s metagene may have turned them into an electricity monster.

The Fantastic Four would definitely have the metagene in the DCU.
    Wait so all the Meta gene does is make people adapt to scenarios? Wouldn't that make more sense if every Metahuman had an accident that caused their powers? And if that's how it works then what are people who have powers not coming from an outside source classified as? Also isn't Barry's new power origins come from the speed force which is not his own inner power, but an outside force?

Astonishing Member

Wait so all the Meta gene does is make people adapt to scenarios? Wouldn't that make more sense if every Metahuman had an accident that caused their powers? And if that's how it works then what are people who have powers not coming from an outside source classified as? Also isn't Barry's new power origins come from the speed force which is not his own inner power, but an outside force?
    Some metahumans had accidents that triggered their powers, other metahumans have meta genes activate with time(this is more common in situations where powers run in families).

The Speed Force is another can of worms entirely, it hasn't been clearly defined in comics or outside media. This is basically my head cannon, but the Speed Force enhances Barry's super speed giving him access to time travel and all the crazy, extra stuff we've seen the speed force do. Take away the Speed Force and he's just a speedster.

I am far, far, far from a Flash aficionado but I imagine Barry's metagene kicked in to help him survive the lab accident, altering his body in a way that granted him access to the Speed Force, which normal human physiology can't.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I am far, far, far from a Flash aficionado but I imagine Barry's metagene kicked in to help him survive the lab accident, altering his body in a way that granted him access to the Speed Force, which normal human physiology can't.
    That’s my take on it as well. His metagene connected him to the speed force to save his life.

“Metahuman” is just a classification for people with superpowers. It doesn’t need to relate totally to the metagene. Superman and Wonder Woman are classified as metahuman, but one is an alien and the other is a demigod.

Some people can inherit powers and be born with a metagene already activated. Black Lightning’s daughters for example.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-24-2022 at 04:24 PM.