Default Comic Shops Across America (& The World)

Hey there...I always wondered what everyone's comic shops are like. Where did you grow up? Is your old store still around? Have you gone to the same shop for years or months?

What is your comic shop like? Friendly, not friendly?

I grew up in Lowell MA about 40 mins outside of Boston. I went to Larry's Comics. It was the main store around the area. Larry was great. Always welcoming. The store was in the downstairs basement of a building. Always old comics on the walls. Big selection of back issues and always the current books on the rack. Lots of toys, especially Star Wars. I live at this store from the time I was born till I was about 30 years old. Larry's is not there anymore which is sad. Great store and lots of memories.

I now live in Plymouth MA and I shop in Quincy MA at New England Comics of Quincy. Awesome store. Owners are wonderful. Huge back issue section. Pull lists, collectibles. Everything.

Hope to hear about your shop
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I live in Philadelphia, and my comic shop of choice is Fat Jack’s Comics in downtown Philly. I’ve been a regular customer of Fat Jack’s for years, the staff lives and breathes not just comic books and comic book movies, but local sports, and I chat about all three with the staff. It’s a fun place to visit every week.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

We didn't have comic book shops when I was growing up.

We just had spinner racks in various stores that sold all sorts of different stuff, or comic books were on the shelves next to the regular magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I live in Philadelphia, and my comic shop of choice is Fat Jack’s Comics in downtown Philly. I’ve been a regular customer of Fat Jack’s for years, the staff lives and breathes not just comic books and comic book movies, but local sports, and I chat about all three with the staff. It’s a fun place to visit every week.
    That sounds like my kind of place.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

This is my usual haunt where my Wednesday Warrioring is done. My parents has a picture of my standing in a field here before the road was even put in decades ago. It was like they knew and dreaded it.

And this is their main store. The art to the right in the picture is a Becky Cloonan original and they had the alley besides the store officially named "Lois Lane".
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

im not a frequenter of it but there has been a bedrock city just up the road for like 20 years

havent been there anytime recently but it was always a neat stop

Mighty Member

Ohhh, Comic Shop talk is always fun.

So... I live in London and there isn't really a local comic shop to me (there's a good one about an hour away on transport and another good one a little further away).
    Both are great, but they are kind of a pain to get to (I don't really like taking transport too much, especially trains).

Anyway, My first was in a place called Canterbury which is about 70 miles out of London. My Parents go on holiday around there and when I was younger, they used to take me there. It's a place called "Incognito Comics". Essentially it was a small, crowded shop which led me to pick up countless issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.
    There was also another comic shop which was a lot bigger, that moved to a Place around the corner from Incognito.
    Neither are there anymore (Incognito Comics moved to an online store exclusively and Whatever Comics, the other comic shop, closed after the Owner sadly passed away).

The two in London I was referring to earlier are Forbidden Planet, basically the big comic shop in the UK. I subscribe to them for my comics which are sent monthly, so I tend to be a few weeks late on some comics.
    The other is one which I can't remember the name of, but it's a place in Camden and it's pretty cool. Went there a couple years ago and picked up a bunch of Daredevil books (have been meaning to revisit and pick up a bunch of comics).

When I lived in Birmingham, they had two in close proximity. One was a forbidden planet which I used to go to regularly.
    The other is "Nostalgia and Comics" and is probably my favourite outside of FP. Bought stuff a few times from them, and I plan to visit them this weekend when I return to the area and pick up some stuff for the Train Journey back.

Fantastic Member

In college, I went to Dave's Comics in Ann Arbor. It was a great spot -- the comics were always discounted 20 percent, which helped a college student's wallet. One of the first comics I bought there was Avengers 274, where Hercules gets beaten down by the Masters of Evil. I moved to Charlotte and went to Heroes Aren't Hard to Find, also a great spot. I was there every Wednesday and remember a very knowledgeable guy named Dusty who worked there. After I settled in Brooklyn, I went to Jim Hanley's Universe on 33rd Street in Manhattan, another great spot.

Dave's closed a long time ago. I felt like my childhood had ended when I found out. Jim Hanley's also shut down. Google tells me that Heroes remains open, though not in the same location.

I only do online shopping now.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    In college, I went to Dave's Comics in Ann Arbor. It was a great spot -- the comics were always discounted 20 percent, which helped a college student's wallet. One of the first comics I bought there was Avengers 274, where Hercules gets beaten down by the Masters of Evil. I moved to Charlotte and went to Heroes Aren't Hard to Find, also a great spot. I was there every Wednesday and remember a very knowledgeable guy named Dusty who worked there. After I settled in Brooklyn, I went to Jim Hanley's Universe on 33rd Street in Manhattan, another great spot.

Dave's closed a long time ago. I felt like my childhood had ended when I found out. Jim Hanley's also shut down. Google tells me that Heroes remains open, though not in the same location.

I only do online shopping now.
    I had been going to a comic book shop in Stamford, Connecticut that was destroyed in Marvel comic books (you could see the store's sign on the ground in one book after Nitro blew up and killed a bunch of people towards the start of the Civil War event). But it eventually went out of business in the real world.

Now I use Cave Comics in Newtown, Connecticut, but I only go there every month or two.