Mighty Member

Default A-List actors and the actors/writers strike

Ok, so was watching John Campea and reading some of the comments on youtube and someone said the words "acting is just like any other job for anyone else....unless you're a movie star." Like, what does that even mean? Isn't Tom Cruise albeit at a higher level, still considered a working actor? Because that's what they do. Act and sometimes write and direct. Because once upon a time these more famous actors were in the same position struggling to make ends meet and take small acting jobs. So they should understand the plight of these other creatives because they were once there too. It's hard to believe that they're just sitting in some kind of ivory tower or mansion just looking down at the SAG/WGA strike going "oh well, hope they work this out". Because their projects are just as affected as other shows/movies too. To think that Ryan Reynolds is just sitting there going "well, while DP3 is shut down I'll just sit here and twiddle my thumbs. Good thing I've got my wine business and Mint Mobile commercials going on." They should be on the front lines of this thing in solidarity with all the others too because they're members of these guilds too.
    Last edited by CTTT; 07-18-2023 at 07:42 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Ok, so was watching John Campea and reading some of the comments on youtube and someone said the words "acting is just like any other job for anyone else....unless you're a movie star." Like, what does that even mean? Isn't Tom Cruise albeit at a higher level, still considered a working actor? Because that's what they do. Act and sometimes write and direct. Because once upon a time these more famous actors were in the same position struggling to make ends meet and take small acting jobs. So they should understand the plight of these other creatives because they were once there too. It's hard to believe that they're just sitting in some kind of ivory tower or mansion just looking down at the SAG/WGA strike going "oh well, hope they work this out". Because their projects are just as affected as other shows/movies too. To think that Ryan Reynolds is just sitting there going "well, while DP3 is shut down I'll just sit here and twiddle my thumbs. Good thing I've got my wine business and Mint Mobile commercials going on." They should be on the front lines of this thing in solidarity with all the others too because they're members of these guilds too.
    I interpret it to mean that almost every actor is not rich and that the profession is a tenuous one that can pay the bills if you get enough work. Unless you're a star. I know there are major writers who've been on the WGA picket lines. I haven't paid SAG-AFTRA as much attention, but know major stars have weighed in on it. From what I've read the stars recognize that most actors are just trying to make ends meet and they fully support the strike.

Niffleheim

A working actor is the equivalent of a minimum wage earner while a movie star is the 1% in their field that sells movie tickets and in todays environment they have other streams of businesses (they are the top earners) They are trying to make working in their field as actors/writers and their strike as relatable to the masses as they can.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-19-2023 at 05:07 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Retired

I stopped watching Campea long ago. He might be Canadian, but he's not one of the nice ones.

One can't generalize about movie stars. Some are active in union activities some aren't. I suppose some do twiddle their thumbs--but both Cruise and Reynolds don't fit that description--they seem like workaholics.

Ryan Reynolds didn't get the Order of Canada for being an actor or an entrepreneur as much as he received it for all the good works he's done to benefit others. There's a long list of charitable groups and foundations in Canada that Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have supported not just monetarily but by showing up to help and be kind to their neighbours.

Also since these guys are often in management positions, I imagine there's some conflict of interest. They might be in a legal quagmire. Kind of like Morgan Edge that time the Galaxy staff went on strike and Brainiac attacked the city.