Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought this was a biography on Xi Jinping. And seeing that, no, this is really about Winne the Pooh from Hundred Acre Woods, I'd rather have the bio on Xi.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I thought this was a biography on Xi Jinping. And seeing that, no, this is really about Winne the Pooh from Hundred Acre Woods, I'd rather have the bio on Xi.
    With all the oppression and death, I'm sure audiences will be able to view it as a metaphorical biopic about Xi Jinping.

(but no, I'm probably not seeing this either)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Looking at what Disney just did with Peter Pan in Chip and Dale I think you're being overly optimistic that the Disney corporation would not do the exact same thing if they thought they could make enough money from it.
    I don't think they'd ever treat Pooh that way.
    Why would anyone at this site be surprised at someone doing this? From Archie Zombies to DC Vampires to Darkhold Marvel and more it's nothing but unrelenting corruption of characters created for children into horror schlock and ultra violence by their own publishers.

At this point, I say Public Domain for these characters can't come fast enough. Sure, we might get "horror Pooh," but we might also get stories that harken back to an age when these characters were aspirational, heroic and fun rather than grim, nasty and frightening.
    I mean, Pooh content from Disney is generally pretty nice and fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think they'd ever treat Pooh that way.

I mean, Pooh content from Disney is generally pretty nice and fun...
    So far, sure. But so wasn't Peter Pan until this week.

I mean, Pooh content from Disney is generally pretty nice and fun.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

So far, sure. But so wasn't Peter Pan until this week.
    Peter Pan was also the villain in a season of "Once Upon A Time" and Captain Hook was a hero.

Then again Robin Williams did a movie where Pan grows up and forgets what it is to be a child.

I liked both of them. Maybe it's just that title, "Blood and Honey", that screams, that screams sensationalism. But, I don't really have that much against an alternate take on these characters. Doing it with a character like Winnie the Pooh may just be a bridge too far for me. I'm actually laughing right now at the very idea of a Pooh horror movie. It just feels so absurd that it's funny.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

There is a setting for the GURPS rpg system called GURPS Fantasy 2: The Mad Lands. In it are various gods that are monstrous creatures that screw over anyone unfortunate enough to cross their paths. They are all based on Winnie the Pooh characters. So even before this movie, and Pooh going public domain in general, people could still do it by filing the serial numbers off.

Peter Pan was also the villain in a season of "Once Upon A Time" and Captain Hook was a hero.
    A disney show no less. Also pan was not the bad guy till tests screening changed him to it in rescue rangers. Bad guy was pluto pretending to be pan. The non aged lost boy was meant to be a clue something was wrong. It was redubbed to make him the real pan later. Pan showed up still young at the end of the now called "plutocut".

All changed after that first screening backlash. So pan took the fall for pluto. Test viewers didn't want pluto the bad guy.

I am sure the people who thought of this watched the Banna Splits Horror movie a couple years ago and said

"I think we can do a bit worse then that."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Please, world. End now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People keep trying to sell me on everything needing to be public domain, but this sounds terrible. Who would want a horror take on Pooh Bear? I'd rather get another Disney cartoon.
    Not everything needs to be public domain. But everything should eventually enter it just as new things should always be created that will remain under copyright for a while. The other option is for works to be constantly tied up in IP dynasties linked to either families and corporations.

Honestly, I expected this to happen. Low budget horror creators are some of the quickest to scoop up public domain characters, because no one is more capable of creating content quickly and cheaply than those guys. But it doesn't mean there won't be other interesting, creative, respectful takes.

The public domain makes the dissemination of the original works easier. It also makes creating new takes on old stories and characters easier, but it's harder to tell which ones wouldn't have been created without the public domain (unless you're absolutely sure the creators are strapped for cash). Would Muppet Treasure Island have existed if the Hensons had to negotiate with the descendants of Robert Louis Stevenson? Would we have gotten The Lunar Chronicles without the fairy tales they're based on in the public domain? John Boorman's Excalibur? BBC's Sherlock? Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book (which is based on The Jungle Book, if no one's figured that out yet)? Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer (which sounds terrible but is surprisingly good)?

Heck, we definitely had an uptick in Oz material after Baum's books entered the public domain and some of it was dismal like NBC's Emerald City, but some was also fantastic like Amazon's Lost in Oz. So, don't give up on the concept of the public domain just because someone's going to make a B horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am sure the people who thought of this watched the Banna Splits Horror movie a couple years ago and said

"I think we can do a bit worse then that."
    Yeah. I loved that show as a kid. Even carried around a stuffed Fleagle. And then the actual copyright owner turned it into a schlocky horror film to jump on the "five nights at Freddy's" mini-trend. So nobody tell me that this only happens to public domain characters.

Mighty Member

Yeah. I loved that show as a kid. Even carried around a stuffed Fleagle. And then the actual copyright owner turned it into a schlocky horror film to jump on the "five nights at Freddy's" mini-trend. So nobody tell me that this only happens to public domain characters.
    There was also "There Will Be Brawl" that was done with nintendo smash brothers characters even without them being in the public domain. So not being public domain gives no protection from this kind of thing. Like or dislike public domain, but that's a separate issue from things like this.