Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Winnie The Pooh: Blood and Honey

A mysterious upcoming horror film titled Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey has appeared on our radar today, and we have questions. The very indie horror title is reportedly in post-production from writer/director Rhys Frake-Waterfield and stars Amber Doig-Thorne, Maria Taylor and Danielle Scott. According to the project’s IMDb page, the film is a grisly retelling of the Winnie the Pooh “legend”.
    https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/43...lassic-images/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I guess this is what we can expect when things enter the public domain.

I think I prefer the title: "Winnie The Pooh: Blood Honey"...instead of "blood money" it's blood honey, but I guess that title will have to wait for the Winnie the Pooh crime thriller/noir.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-25-2022 at 07:22 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

People keep trying to sell me on everything needing to be public domain, but this sounds terrible. Who would want a horror take on Pooh Bear? I'd rather get another Disney cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People keep trying to sell me on everything needing to be public domain, but this sounds terrible.
    Really? Never participated in such arguments (nor do I agree with any argument that everything immediately should be public domain). But I guess I will merely point out that, for example, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comics, film, etc) is something that can come out of things entering the public domain.

I'm sure there are a whole host of books, films, shows that many have enjoyed that are built upon the public domainness of the main characters. Media that would not have financial backing or greenlighting were it not for the public domain aspect.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-25-2022 at 07:55 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

People keep trying to sell me on everything needing to be public domain, but this sounds terrible. Who would want a horror take on Pooh Bear? I'd rather get another Disney cartoon.
    There can be both a new Disney cartoon...and what ever the heck this is, it needn't be a one way street.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Really? Never participated in such arguments (nor do I agree with any argument that everything immediately should be public domain). But I guess I will merely point out that, for example, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comics, film, etc) is something that can come out of things entering the public domain.

I'm sure there are a whole host of books, films, shows that many have enjoyed that are built upon the public domainness of the main characters. Media that would not have financial backing or greenlighting were it not for the public domain aspect.
    Oh I'm sure good stuff comes out of stuff going into the public domain, just that I don't see it as being necessary for everything (would Big Two properties be better in the public domain? I don't automatically think so).
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There can be both a new Disney cartoon...and what ever the heck this is, it needn't be a one way street.
    I mean, if the other street is something like this...I can't say I see the appeal/need. It just seems like horror schlock with a character created for children.

Oh I'm sure good stuff comes out of stuff going into the public domain, just that I don't see it as being necessary for everything (would Big Two properties be better in the public domain? I don't automatically think so).

I mean, if the other street is something like this...I can't say I see the appeal/need. It just seems like horror schlock with a character created for children.
    I don't see the appeal to this film either...so I won't watch it, no harm no foul. But other stuff could be better, and books collecting the original stories can become more readily available and cheaper than they currently are which is good.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

This feels more like a parody of grim and gritty imaginings than anything anybody actually thought was a good idea.

I could totally see a SNL skit or a three minute youtube parody of this, but it being an actual movie confounds me.

Bambi went in pd same time as pooh also.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't see the appeal to this film either...so I won't watch it, no harm no foul. But other stuff could be better, and books collecting the original stories can become more readily available and cheaper than they currently are which is good.
    Now that I can get behind .

Looking at what Disney just did with Peter Pan in Chip and Dale I think you're being overly optimistic that the Disney corporation would not do the exact same thing if they thought they could make enough money from it.

I can't say I see the appeal/need. It just seems like horror schlock with a character created for children.
    Why would anyone at this site be surprised at someone doing this? From Archie Zombies to DC Vampires to Darkhold Marvel and more it's nothing but unrelenting corruption of characters created for children into horror schlock and ultra violence by their own publishers.

At this point, I say Public Domain for these characters can't come fast enough. Sure, we might get "horror Pooh," but we might also get stories that harken back to an age when these characters were aspirational, heroic and fun rather than grim, nasty and frightening.

Well, there's a movie I'll never see. Right up there with Archie horror series, which I've felt no desire to see.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, there's a movie I'll never see. Right up there with Archie horror series, which I've felt no desire to see.
    The Archie horror books were actually fantastic, you're missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    At this point, I say Public Domain for these characters can't come fast enough. Sure, we might get "horror Pooh," but we might also get stories that harken back to an age when these characters were aspirational, heroic and fun rather than grim, nasty and frightening.
    You speak the truth (at least for many comic characters). We've seen enough of what happens when Batman and Superman are presented solely by DC/WB.....all or mostly grim n gritty edgelord stuff (and for Superman, terrible continuity/status quo).

Grant Morrison has done the most (for me) to see the light....that our culture and comics are effed up. Gone (or mostly gone) are things with the approach or optimistic tone of Star Trek TNG (or most of Quantum Leap, etc). We're seemingly obsessed with apocalyptic doom and gloom and death (Walking Dead, Zach Snyder, NuTrek, etc). Morrison's Batman run ultimately sadly concedes the Moore/Miller-inspired status quo of Batman has won the day since the 80s; Grant admits he lost. Morrison's All Star Superman is interesting in how isolated it feels from most every other trade released about Superman in a long time.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-25-2022 at 10:23 AM.