Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Equal Body Representation

So they've now shown both Hulk and Thor's ass on screen. Societal norms unfortunately still dictate that male butt = comedy but women butt = sexy butt and therefore verboten. Is this proper progressive thinking? Why is female-butt so offensive to Disney in 2022? What about non-binary butt? Are they secretly Christian with backwards ideals?

Let's get this trending on Twitter #buttequality

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    So they've now shown both Hulk and Thor's ass on screen. Societal norms unfortunately still dictate that male butt = comedy but women butt = sexy butt and therefore verboten. Is this proper progressive thinking? Why is female-butt so offensive to Disney in 2022? What about non-binary butt? Are they secretly Christian with backwards ideals?

Let's get this trending on Twitter #buttequality
    Male butt=comedy. Female butt=sexist and "problematic."

Post like these are dumb. You'd have to completely ignore the historical context of sexism and power dynamics in the film industry, and society at large, to make the comparison. They aren't seen as equal due to those factors.

It's like when people complain about race bending and say "if it happened to black people, folks would be upset." Yeah, duh! Because of what's already happened to them over the course of decades/centuries. These are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Post like these are dumb. You'd have to completely ignore the historical context of sexism and power dynamics in the film industry, and society at large, to make the comparison. They aren't seen as equal due to those factors.

It's like when people complain about race bending and say "if it happened to black people, folks would be upset." Yeah, duh! Because of what's already happened to them over the course of decades/centuries. These are not the same thing.
    So we should just hold onto these outdated ideals?

Exactly. It's like people saying "All Lives Matter" and implying BLM is racist, utterly ignoring the context that black lives are far more threatened.

As the OP said, male butts almost always = intention of comedy, female butts almost always equals intention of erotic exploitation. A lot of difference.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

As a society we hang onto ideals because they're ingrained into the culture, and even when they're identified as problematic it can take years, decades, generations before we move on from them. Look at America's favorite Bronze Age book of fairy tales for plenty of examples that are hanging around millennia after their past-due date.

Pointing out those outdated ideals and why we're trying to correct for them isn't embracing them, it's the opposite. I assume you understand that, and are being tongue-in-cheek (not a butt pun) and just want to see more female nudity in your Disney hero films. But in case you were serious, that's my take.

So we should just hold onto these outdated ideals?
    What ideals are you talking about, exactly? This isn't a case of sexism.

And my point is it's a flawed comparison. You're trying to call out a double standard while ignoring the context involved. You aren't really for "equality." You just want more naked women.

What ideals are you talking about, exactly? This isn't a case of sexism.

And my point is it's a flawed comparison. You're trying to call out a double standard while ignoring the context involved. You aren't really for "equality." You just want more naked women.
    I don't think you can just assume my reasoning any more than my gender. Historical context shouldn't matter when it comes to equality. Let's rise above our base desires as a society and move forward.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

maybe portman will drop trousers in the post-credits scene

I don't think you can just assume my reasoning any more than my gender. Historical context shouldn't matter when it comes to equality. Let's rise above our base desires as a society and move forward.
    Historical context always matters, ESPECIALLY when talking about equality. And I'm very comfortable in my assumption here.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly. It's like people saying "All Lives Matter" and implying BLM is racist, utterly ignoring the context that black lives are far more threatened.
    Hispanics and Asians will be relieved to hear that.

Is this really a issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Hispanics and Asians will be relieved to hear that.
    Right. Because it's mostly Asians and Hispanics who are whining about BLM and declaring that ALM. Another perfect example of ignoring the context. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Is this really a issue?
    I don't think it really is. It's similar to, whenever women decry rape and sexual harassment, someone, usually a conservative, says, "Well, men get raped and sexually harassed too. Why aren't you defending them?" Um, because of the overwhelmingly greater likelihood of it's happening to women and, so, that's what the focus is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I don't think it really is. It's similar to, whenever women decry rape and sexual harassment, someone, usually a conservative, says, "Well, men get raped and sexually harassed too. Why aren't you defending them?" Um, because of the overwhelmingly greater likelihood of it's happening to women and, so, that's what the focus is on.
    This thread is full of sexism I'm sorry I started it.