Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108
  1. #46
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    reading this issue it may be the case that Fisher king may be a mutant after all, in "Red" he mentions he's never had a mutant weapon, and as we now know from LoX, Arraki mutant abilities, deemed useful in war are called weapons. SO it may be the case that the fisher king is a mutant that possesses an ability that is not offensive. This may also mean that his nickname as the "Unarmed King" may have been given to him because he doesn't possess a "weapon".
    on one hand i like the insight on how arraki mutants view powers as either weapons or weaponless and how they might view other characters powers (would kurt be weaponless, with his powers being teleporting and looking like a blue devil?).
    on the other hand i kinda liked the idea that humans born on arrako were considered weaponless and could still be warriors in this world and a someone like fisher king could not only survive, but thrive

  2. #47
    Incredible Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    931

    Default

    The expansion on arakki lore just gets more and more interesting, wonderful issue. Series looking to be very promising.

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member Diammandis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Krakoa
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    on one hand i like the insight on how arraki mutants view powers as either weapons or weaponless and how they might view other characters powers (would kurt be weaponless, with his powers being teleporting and looking like a blue devil?).
    on the other hand i kinda liked the idea that humans born on arrako were considered weaponless and could still be warriors in this world and a someone like fisher king could not only survive, but thrive
    I would assume kurts abilities would be classified as a weapon, because, his powers aid him in fighting, as opposed to someone like Cypher whose powers don't aid him.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I would assume kurts abilities would be classified as a weapon, because, his powers aid him in fighting, as opposed to someone like Cypher whose powers don't aid him.
    Hmm, I'd argue there's a little more complexity to the distinction between mutant weapons and non-weapons than that. After all, a canon usage of Doug's powers is that he can read/interpret body language, with this giving him advantages in fights as he can thus anticipate his opponent's moves (when writers deign to remember this is part of his powerset). But yeah, Kurt's powers definitely have combat applications. Even precognition like Idyll's has been referred to as her mutant weapon - for much the same reason as I'd assume Doug's power could be classified that way. Your power telling you when and where to strike (like how Destiny pointed Hope towards Selene in IX #2) is definitely a martial application.

  5. #50
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Ngl, Ora is an insta-fave. I keep cackling at how extreme her powerset is, and its one giant pun. (Reality is in the eye of the beholder. She's basically a giant beholder - Dungeons and Dragon monster that's basically a floating eyeball - who can blink things out of existence because reality is perception and HER perception literally defines what is real or not real, at her discretion).

  6. #51
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    9,145

    Default

    Having re-read this several times...

    The Krakoa Police tangent is okies...but the most interesting parts of this issue for me are the Arakkii moments and characters. And now I'm wanting a book that focuses entirely on Arakko and the Arrakii.
    Krakoa and Planet Arakko...TO BE CONTINUED. FOREVER!!!

  7. #52
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    I’m going to be completely honest, the Arraki completely bore me. They just seem to have “Strength=Good” as the core of their philosophy which never interests me. The entire God thing, I am an atheist but I have close friends who are religious and the entire “Gods must be strong to be worshipped” honestly makes no sense because people worship deities for a lot of reasons beyond strength or even deities that explicitly aren’t strong. Never mind touching fiction for plenty of examples of deities who are powerful whose power isn’t punching really hard.

    Anyway, here’s hoping the trickster deity is Loki, definitely could see him humbling that particular aspect of it.

  8. #53
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    On the rest of it, the Legion are cops. The tip-toeing around that should either lead to reforming to a better peace-keeping concept, or at least get someone appointed to Internal Affairs already. They can start by getting Quire to stop using random mutant bodies for joyrides.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member Diammandis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Krakoa
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Having re-read this several times...

    The Krakoa Police tangent is okies...but the most interesting parts of this issue for me are the Arakkii moments and characters. And now I'm wanting a book that focuses entirely on Arakko and the Arrakii.
    THIS.
    the Arrakii are such a great concept, mutants who have been shaped by constant war, are now being thrown into a world where they don't have to fight anymore and now being introduced to their much toned-down cousins and adapting to this new world is such a good pull. I hope "Red" fleshes them out more and shows them more because honestly they have great potential.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

  10. #55
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    I completely forgot to mention but also, the head, it’s still sentient? It’s all kind of fucked up to torture some guy for eternity just because his idea didn’t work. That’s Josef Stalin/Adolf Hitler levels of “You have failed me”.

  11. #56
    2022: The Year of Hellion Rift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I’m going to be completely honest, the Arraki completely bore me. They just seem to have “Strength=Good” as the core of their philosophy which never interests me. The entire God thing, I am an atheist but I have close friends who are religious and the entire “Gods must be strong to be worshipped” honestly makes no sense because people worship deities for a lot of reasons beyond strength or even deities that explicitly aren’t strong. Never mind touching fiction for plenty of examples of deities who are powerful whose power isn’t punching really hard.

    Anyway, here’s hoping the trickster deity is Loki, definitely could see him humbling that particular aspect of it.
    I feel like it makes a lot of sense here. The Arakkii never had need for gods that aren't based on strength and battle, since their entire society was built on fighting and staying strong in order to survive. The gods Uquesh summoned were brought in to help with the war, but failed to help them or provide any sort of usefulness. So the Arakkii are biased against gods as a whole, unless they prove themselves.

    I wouldn't be surprised if there's worship of deities that specialize in stuff like education, medicine, family, fertility, etc. (Assuming such gods were summoned in the first place - Uquesh summoned the gods to help them with war, after all.) But they'd be extreme minorities and their practice wouldn't be well-known, since the gods would immediately be brought out to prove themselves in battle. And even then, the weaker Arakkii still see the importance of strength and courage in battle, despite the odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

  12. #57
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I feel like it makes a lot of sense here. The Arakkii never had need for gods that aren't based on strength and battle, since their entire society was built on fighting and staying strong in order to survive. The gods Uquesh summoned were brought in to help with the war, but failed to help them or provide any sort of usefulness. So the Arakkii are biased against gods as a whole, unless they prove themselves.

    I wouldn't be surprised if there's worship of deities that specialize in stuff like education, medicine, family, fertility, etc. (Assuming such gods were summoned in the first place - Uquesh summoned the gods to help them with war, after all.) But they'd be extreme minorities and their practice wouldn't be well-known, since the gods would immediately be brought out to prove themselves in battle. And even then, the weaker Arakkii still see the importance of strength and courage in battle, despite the odds.
    Yeah, so don’t think they even have a way to test non-combat gods because it’s implied they sent Kurt after Loki when the time honored tactic of “Bumrush and hit it till it dies” didn’t work with him. So now they need a new way to enforce conversions on their local populace.

  13. #58
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    9,145

    Default

    Quite exactatiously, Rift.

    I get wanting and needing to personalise and internalise and equate to IRL to get a better understanding of the concept but ultimately these are the imaginings of Spurrier's mind (without knowing how his concepts have been influenced) so...it is what it is.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-26-2022 at 10:25 AM.
    Krakoa and Planet Arakko...TO BE CONTINUED. FOREVER!!!

  14. #59
    2022: The Year of Hellion Rift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Also, the Arakkii should worship Hellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

  15. #60
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Also, the Arakkii should worship Hellion.
    Nah, they should worship Magneto “We are your new gods”

    Huh, what do we think would happen if one of the Arraki becomes a Christian and the Arrakki try to bumrush the One Above All?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •