Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just going to say it Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia Addams yes, yes, hell yes, and a double hell yes.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Good cast but I'm still not watching it. Tim Burton has not been good in decades. No other director has milked more out of past success than him. He has been running on fumes and even those are pretty much gone. The last thing he had that was even close to good was Big Fish and that was almost 20 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Good cast but I'm still not watching it. Tim Burton has not been good in decades. No other director has milked more out of past success than him. He has been running on fumes and even those are pretty much gone. The last thing he had that was even close to good was Big Fish and that was almost 20 years ago now.
    Disagree I think Miss Peregrine's Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie dark shadows were great also Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo were ok not perfect but alright

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Disagree I think Miss Peregrine's Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie dark shadows were great also Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo were ok not perfect but alright
    You an I have very different definitions of good. The Corpse Bride was not bad but again it was almost 18 years ago.

Dark Shadow was OK at best watch House of Dark Shadows instead if you want to watch a Dark Shadows film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dark Shadow was OK at best watch House of Dark Shadows instead if you want to watch a Dark Shadows film.
    Ya it's definitely the better movie but I think both are good in there own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You an I have very different definitions of good. The Corpse Bride was not bad but again it was almost 18 years ago.
    Good for you but even going by your definition of good/bad can you really say these are horrible movies? I mean they are not for everyone but come on man Frankenweenie!

Looks like an interesting take on the Adam's Family.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I agree all of those are good... except Dark Shadows. That totally missed the mark and was an embarrassment to the greatness that is the original show. Depp is good, but only Frid is Barnabas.

Astonishing Member

By all accounts, the original cut of Night Of Dark Shadows was the superior film and was touted by many who viewed it as one of the best gothic horror films ever made. Sadly, it got cut down for the theatrical run and the additional footage was lost (although half was later recovered).
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 08-17-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    By all accounts, the original cut of Night Of Dark Shadows was the superior film and was touted by many who viewed it as one of the best gothic horror films ever made. Sadly, it got cut down for the theatrical run and the additional footage was lost (although half was later recovered).
    I love Night of Dark Shadows but Burton's Dark Shadows was about Barnabas's storyline and I say watch House of Dark Shadows over Burton's film which is fine, just House is better.

Also there is an irony House is about a Vampire and Night is about a haunted Mansion AKA Collinwood. It would had made more sense to reverse the titles.

Astonishing Member

I love Night of Dark Shadows but Burton's Dark Shadows was about Barnabas's storyline and I say watch House of Dark Shadows over Burton's film which is fine, just House is better.

Also there is an irony House is about a Vampire and Night is about a haunted Mansion AKA Collinwood. It would had made more sense to reverse the titles.
    Visually I like Burton's Dark Shadows. But I just hate how they treated the material. The only thing worse than that was the failed CW pilot from the early 2000's.

I don't think Dan Curtis was thinking too far ahead with the titles for the films. He was forced to use Collinwood because Frid refused to come back (Curtis wanted to have Barnabas return in it and be a direct sequel). So he opted to use Quentin instead. Quentin was just as popular as Barnabas anyway.

That entire second film was easier to do because they weren't knee deep in day-to-day production on the show. What's hilarious is many claim House Of Dark Shadows indirectly caused the show to get axed as many kids loved watching it and parents took them to watch House and... well, they got something much more graphic than what they watched every afternoon lol. So many parents straight up forbid their kids to watch it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Just not feeling the casting of Luis Guzmán as Gomez. If is a great supporting comedic actor but, I just can't see him in the role. Maybe I'll warm up to it after seeing it.
    I agree, Raul Julia is a tough act to follow but they could have at least tried. Gomez works best as the suave yet slightly eccentric person that you would never expect was dangerous until it was too late. Raul Julia worked because he had that "I look normal but I'm just as crazy as the rest of my family" thing going. Guzman has none of that. He looks like
    an old drawing of Gomez and I suppose that makes sense given Tim Burton's roots as an animator but that isn't the best version of the character IMHO.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I agree, Raul Julia is a tough act to follow but they could have at least tried. Gomez works best as the suave yet slightly eccentric person that you would never expect was dangerous until it was too late. Raul Julia worked because he had that "I look normal but I'm just as crazy as the rest of my family" thing going. Guzman has none of that. He looks like
    an old drawing of Gomez and I suppose that makes sense given Tim Burton's roots as an animator but that isn't the best version of the character IMHO.
    Doesn't he more resemble the way he appeared in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Doesn't he more resemble the way he appeared in the comics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W
    I agree, Raul Julia is a tough act to follow but they could have at least tried. Gomez works best as the suave yet slightly eccentric person that you would never expect was dangerous until it was too late. Raul Julia worked because he had that "I look normal but I'm just as crazy as the rest of my family" thing going. Guzman has none of that. He looks like an old drawing of Gomez and I suppose that makes sense given Tim Burton's roots as an animator but that isn't the best version of the character IMHO.
    It's only natural that Burton would default to that because of his roots in animation. The Raul Julia version of the character is Gomez to a lot of people.That movie was perfectly cast and we wouldn't be seeing this project if it wasn't for that one so you can make the argument that those have become the definitive versions of the characters. Just look at Burton's Wednesday, that character would be perfectly at home in the Live action movies.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest