Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of weird. This show went full on supernatural with vamps, werewolves and shapeshifters. They even gave Wednesday and her mother powers. So one could argue it’s much weirder than the movies or original show.

One reason it may not feel Addams enough is because on the original show and movies they were the only “weird” ones around. In this show Wednesday is at a school surrounded by other weirdos and outcasts so she and her family don’t stand out as much.
    Yes, "weird" is in the eye of the beholder and to me this wasn't a "weird" show. Having monsters or supernatural elements doesn't make it weird to me. The storytelling was still pretty traditional in terms of mysteries or teenage stuff. "Doom Patrol" is weird because of its concepts and storytelling, regardless of the superhumans, magic etc.(and also, yeah - the monsters are just weirder as well)

Wednesday Addams still came across as weird because of her personality. The others, despite being werewolves, sirens, etc. were pretty normal teens if you think about it.

And nothing against Guzman, but I did find him a bit lacking as Gomez. And looks has nothing to do with it - Gomez Addams probably shouldn't be traditionally good looking - I thought that was the point. But he needs to do the most with his little screentime and I found him lacking in charisma as Gomez, which is a quality he should have in spades.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Wednesday show is ok but I have a big nerd gripe. They’ve seemingly confused The Addams Family with The Munsters. The Addams Family was about a family who did macabre and weird things and found it normal. There were some slightly supernatural aspects like Thing but that’s about it. The current show has archetypal monsters as characters (werewolves, sirens, vampires, etc.) which totally doesn’t fit the world of The Addams Family. That’s Munster territory!

If you put them in a world where literal monsters are somewhat commonplace they don’t seem that “kooky” or “spooky”.
    I didn't mind this aspect of the show at all. The supernatural elements fit given the existence of Thing, Lurch clearly being a Frankenstein's monster, the family's high tolerance for pain, Fester's electrical powers, some incarnations have Morticia and Grandmama being stated to be witches.

The bigger shock to me is having the family suffer consequences for their actions. Wednesday expulsions, Gomez arrested for murder and Fester being a career criminal were not things I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes, "weird" is in the eye of the beholder and to me this wasn't a "weird" show. Having monsters or supernatural elements doesn't make it weird to me. The storytelling was still pretty traditional in terms of mysteries or teenage stuff. "Doom Patrol" is weird because of its concepts and storytelling, regardless of the superhumans, magic etc.(and also, yeah - the monsters are just weirder as well)

Wednesday Addams still came across as weird because of her personality. The others, despite being werewolves, sirens, etc. were pretty normal teens if you think about it.

And nothing against Guzman, but I did find him a bit lacking as Gomez. And looks has nothing to do with it - Gomez Addams probably shouldn't be traditionally good looking - I thought that was the point. But he needs to do the most with his little screentime and I found him lacking in charisma as Gomez, which is a quality he should have in spades.
    I prefer Gomez to be a handsome guy. His suave and maniacal personality works better if he has the look to match it. At least young Gomez was that before letting himself go.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I prefer Gomez to be a handsome guy. His suave and maniacal personality works better if he has the look to match it. At least young Gomez was that before letting himself go.
    Maybe it's because I used to watch the tv show, but with Gomez/Morticia, there was a sense of a mismatch between the two in the looks department, but it didn't matter because they're not traditional thinkers and their passion for each other wasn't based on appearance (or at least not in Morticia being into conventional looks) I thought that added to their whole vibe, so for me this version holds up that aspect of their dynamic.

As a whole, (SPOILERS for the show in case...) I really enjoyed this series and I'm glad it'll get at least another season. Looking forward to Cousin It and hopefully more Lurch than this time. I also think Gwendoline Christie hit it out of the park and I was surprised they killed her off like that. I don't care what contrivance they use, but I'd love to bring her back - maybe her character's replaced by her sister whose also a shape-shifter so she makes herself look like Christie when she takes over the school to honor her... or whatever. I just would be happy if she came back. Ricci's character I was surprised didn't die, so there's a possibility she'll come back though I don't see the point of it, unless she's like a cartoon villain always plotting to destroy the school with one plan after another...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-28-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As many people who watched it, you'd think that there wouldn't be a doubt

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's Netflix, there is always a doubt.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Netflix has cancelled shows that we're successful on their platform. Their garbage take on Resident Evil was successful but it was cancelled for being too expensive to produce

Netflix has cancelled shows that we're successful on their platform. Their garbage take on Resident Evil was successful but it was cancelled for being too expensive to produce
    Wednesday broke records of even Stranger Things held. And since that will be in its last season, along with Kobra Kai, they needed another big hit series. Wednesday nailed it.

Ultimate Member

To be fair, too expensive is a valid reason to cancel somethin'.