Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's only natural that Burton would default to that because of his roots in animation. The Raul Julia version of the character is Gomez to a lot of people.That movie was perfectly cast and we wouldn't be seeing this project if it wasn't for that one so you can make the argument that those have become the definitive versions of the characters. Just look at Burton's Wednesday, that character would be perfectly at home in the Live action movies.
    I've seen a few people "upset" that Gomez is... well... fat and unattractive and I'm like, "But it's more comic accurate. He was a better looking version of Uncle Fester". And I think we owe a bit to John Astin too for the direction the live action portrayals have taken.

And you've got people upset for casting Guzmán as Gomez for another reason: nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's only natural that Burton would default to that because of his roots in animation. The Raul Julia version of the character is Gomez to a lot of people.That movie was perfectly cast and we wouldn't be seeing this project if it wasn't for that one so you can make the argument that those have become the definitive versions of the characters. Just look at Burton's Wednesday, that character would be perfectly at home in the Live action movies.
    Many people who would be watching this show have probably never seen that movie or were even born when Julia played Gomez. The Addams family is more than just Raul Julia and relying on nostalgia can work for only so long, as has been proven time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I've seen a few people "upset" that Gomez is... well... fat and unattractive and I'm like, "But it's more comic accurate. He was a better looking version of Uncle Fester". And I think we owe a bit to John Astin too for the direction the live action portrayals have taken.

And you've got people upset for casting Guzmán as Gomez for another reason: nationality.
    Or his age, he's like 65 or something, he seem a little old for the role. Julia and Guzmán are the exact same nationality, both were born in Puerto Rico so anyone going that way is just blowing hot air. Way less people have read the comic than have seen Astin and Julia as Gomez. They set the bar for Gomez on film. May be Julia set the bar so high that Burton went the complete opposite direction.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

He looks fine ok he's not brad Pitt but he's not ugly ether even if he was what does that matter also what does it matter if he is 65? I don't get it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He looks fine ok he's not brad Pitt but he's not ugly ether even if he was what does that matter also what does it matter if he is 65? I don't get it.
    Some people are just looking for things to complain about.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Or his age, he's like 65 or something, he seem a little old for the role. Julia and Guzmán are the exact same nationality, both were born in Puerto Rico so anyone going that way is just blowing hot air. Way less people have read the comic than have seen Astin and Julia as Gomez. They set the bar for Gomez on film. May be Julia set the bar so high that Burton went the complete opposite direction.
    No. It's as has been said: Burton's background is animation. So he is likely pulling from the comics rather than any of the adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Many people who would be watching this show have probably never seen that movie or were even born when Julia played Gomez. The Addams family is more than just Raul Julia and relying on nostalgia can work for only so long, as has been proven time and time again.
    I disagree. This entire project is relying on nostalgia. It exist because of nostalgia. Wednesday's popularity didn't happen in a vacuum and this version of her owes far more to movies than the TV show. The show is called Wednesday so of course the focus will be on her, of course that doesn't mean that fans have no right to complain about the casting choice.

Maybe Moon Ronin had the best read on the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin
    Maybe Julia set the bar so high that Burton went the complete opposite direction.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Defend him all you want, but he's one of the uglier guys in the Hollywood scene. I mean, a primary gag in Journey 2 was Guzman, the ugly helicopter pilot, has a hot daughter.......I like him as an actor, though, particularly his role in Narcos, which showed a little more range than I was used to with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    No. It's as has been said: Burton's background is animation. So he is likely pulling from the comics rather than any of the adaptations.
    Which is contrary to what Burton did with Batman, lol. He responded to Kevin Smith's critique of the Burton Bat-flicks (Where Smith said they weren't accurate to the comics) by angrily saying in a public interview, "Anyone who knows me knows I don't read comic books!"
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 08-20-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Good cast but I'm still not watching it. Tim Burton has not been good in decades. No other director has milked more out of past success than him. He has been running on fumes and even those are pretty much gone. The last thing he had that was even close to good was Big Fish and that was almost 20 years ago now.

I haven't liked much of what Burton has done the past 20 years, either, although what I liked from him before that was a mixed bag. I disagree on Burton milking out of past success......One of his major flaws as a filmmaker is he focuses too much on tone & visual aesthetics, to the detriment of the storyline. That's always been a flaw of his, and it became more prominent as his career went on. He tried to pattern himself after Terry Gilliam, but Gilliam's work as a filmmaker has been far more diverse than Burton's, although Burton has had larger financial success.

That said, I'll check out Wednesday. What I've been wanting is a sequel film starring Christina Ricci & David Krumholtz as an adult couple, but I'm not lamenting over this upcoming series. It has promise, and looks to have an interesting cast. I prefer the suave/debonair portrayal of Gomez Addams by Raul Julia over the ugly comic strip version Guzman was chosen for, but hopefully he does well with the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Defend him all you want, but he's one of the uglier guys in the Hollywood scene. I mean, a primary gag in Journey 2 was Guzman, the ugly helicopter pilot, has a hot daughter.......I like him as an actor, though, particularly his role in Narcos, which showed a little more range than I was used to with him.

Which is contrary to what Burton did with Batman, lol. He responded to Kevin Smith's critique of the Burton Bat-flicks (Where Smith said they weren't accurate to the comics) by angrily saying in a public interview, "Anyone who knows me knows I don't read comic books!"
    I wouldn't call him ugly he's average looking.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Firstly I'd never call myself a fan of the Addams family. I'm culturally aware of it and seen numerous episodes of the original show and the 90s movie. I've not seen any of the newer animated fare.
    Second, this show was actually further down my list of "to see" shows but hype got the better of me. You know, when you see folks in your social feeds who rarely post about movies/tv but suddenly are raving....and its about Wednesday, you go hmmmm.

So I go from no expectations to a modicum of expectations when I watch this last week. Believe the hype.

Grade: A

I wholly enjoyed this and for this show would call myself a fan. I largely had the mystery tied down about episode 6 so it isn't some Twist you want see coming but the ride is worth the price of admission. Price=time.
    The use of the word WOE in every episode title as a call back to how Wednesday's name was chosen was creative.
    Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester was great, overall the Addams Family themselves were cast good. I could go for a spin off show with them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

I think Kristen Ritter would make the perfect adult Wednesday.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think Kristen Ritter would make the perfect adult Wednesday.
    True. Her Jessica Jones scowls as often, just add long pigtails and you got adult Wednesday.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    True. Her Jessica Jones scowls as often, just add long pigtails and you got adult Wednesday.
    Yes I'd watch that movie or show.