Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: The Acolyte

I'm not sure why you two are spoiler tagging speculation since it's pure conjecture, but my guess is ...
    spoilers:
    Torbin! He has a slight build, he's been meditating for over a decade, which means he could've Force Projected his image to Mae and Qimir. (and what better image to project than a Sith, the Jedi's Boogeyman - probably blaming them for his trauma the night of the fire) Qimir could have easily faked the poison so that it was non-lethal, Torbin could probably fake his life-signs to appear dead, Kelnacca dead in his chair seems like he didn't put up a fight, and ... he has a scar. And we know scar = bad guy!
    end of spoilers
    ... and it also means this isn't a Sith, so the crybabies can stop whining. (but I'm sure they won't)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-21-2024 at 08:56 PM.

So "fans" have sent death threats to Wookipedia for updating Mundi's age/birth date smh

I am watching with great ennui. This episode seemed to be a lot of running around until this character appeared, who seems a little too powerful to me.
    I am caring less and less about the sisters.
    It's the writing, it is not good for a show when you are thinking about the script while watching. YMMV
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The 4th episode was definitely lackluster as nothing interesting happened with Kelnacca and Mae's turnabout lacked any kind of drama. This ep was just there to set up the confrontation next episode.

Basil the Beaver alien is a Tynann, a species that originated in the Expanded Universe, specifically Han Solo's Revenge.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

I feel like the show is clearly plotted much better Mandalorian Season 3, but seems to share its problem of having too little substance between fairly basic, sometimes unexplored plot points, something Obi-Wan got over by using the “Ben and his niece Leia connect to each other” subplot and some more in-depth lore-work (both of which the Obi-Wan show could have used more of), and something that Ahsoka averted during the somewhat tighter plotted first half of its season, then suffered from in the sloppier-plotted second half.

I feel like LFL needs to embrace writing rooms and Filoni (if he’s the supervising producer on the script level) probably needs to get a bit more demanding of substance, or a bit more exacting in the editing room.

What The Acolyte has going for it is a family intriguing mystery-thriller story with a bit of a spooky underpinning, with well cast actors and competent directing... but it tends to lag quite a bit between most of the too-spread-out plot points, with the largest exception being Qimir’s scenes, which seem to have quite a bit more substance than most of the “transition story moments” because it’s likely he’s actually a Sith Lord in disguise.

It’s like the story either needed to have many scenes chopped out or spliced together to speed up the pace, or the writers should have spent more time writing character subplots and mini-conflicts so that there’s more to watch between plot points:

- Neither Kelnacca nor Torbin needed most of their “present” scenes of the only point was Mae guilt-tripping Torbin into suicide and Kelnacca being shockingly killed before Mae can reach him; the story would have been better served by either cutting out those scenes, or putting more stuff in them (like having Torbin and Kelnacca flashback to show their perspective of the Coven Massacre.)

- Mae is intriguing when her story is moving, or when she’s sharing scenes with Qimir, but many of her other scenes are very lean, merely covering their main point and doing little else; her defection decision in this last episode would also have been fitted either from some “after the fact” editing putting most of her scenes as part of the investigation of the heroes, or setting up how shocked she is by Osha’s survival.

- The Jedi subplot especially suffers from a depth of development; we barely know Yord or Jecki and they haven’t quite developed their actual relationship with Osha, and if Sol is going to have some reveal happen about himself turn on our heads, it could use better set-up.

I’m still liking this show, and again, I’d argue it’s easily better than Mando Season 3, and just seems to suffer some of Ahsoka’s latter pacing problems.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ... we barely know Yord or Jecki and they haven’t quite developed their actual relationship with Osha...
    Agreed. When Yord first showed up to talk to Osha, I figured their relationship would be one of the main aspects of this show, but lately I have to remind myself they had known each other for so long - it's really not coming across after that first scene. And with Jecki, they had a cute scene as she's saying goodbye, but did they even really interact prior to that? I get that there's not enough time to develop that friendship, but why act like they're buddies in that scene? Just ditch it and focus on her relationships with Sol and Yord. I'm guessing they have an endgoal and this is just a really clunky setup. I did really like their talk in the forest though, the whole "You're not defined by what you've lost, but by what you've survived." If this were a better show in general, that could've been their "what is grief, if not love persevering?"

In my mind the jury's still out on this show because it will all depend on how they reveal the mysteries and wrap it up. I like the perfomances for the most part, though the writing is clunky at parts, but that's nothing new for Star Wars - honestly, the writing/dialogue here reminds me of the prequels more than any other SW thing since then. I feel like Lee Jung-jae as Sol is injecting so much emotion into his performance that it elevates the writing in a way that a young Hayden Christiansen was not able to accomplish - he likely gave what Lucas asked of him, but wasn't able (or didn't think it was up to him) to do more.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-22-2024 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The 4th episode was definitely lackluster as nothing interesting happened with Kelnacca and Mae's turnabout lacked any kind of drama. This ep was just there to set up the confrontation next episode.
    Following up on my previous thought: Obviously, without knowing any of their plans, I think this episode could've been saved if they gave us a fight at the end - even if it was just the first half of the fight where the redshirts die and some stuff happens to ratchet up the tension before leaving on some cliffhanger with one of the main characters in dire peril. Otherwise, this ep is all setup.

I was really expecting more from Kelnacca because he felt like one of the main reasons Osha joined the Jedi along with Sol and the reason she got into mechanic work.

Plus a Wookie Jedi is just cool and they just off-screen him like that? I mean, it sets up why the Sith Lord is so dangerous but still.

Astonishing Member

Hopefully there's a few big action scenes in the remainder of the 4 episodes. Don't know where the 180M budget went in filming this. COVID must have been the driving force.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was really expecting more from Kelnacca because he felt like one of the main reasons Osha joined the Jedi along with Sol and the reason she got into mechanic work.

Plus a Wookie Jedi is just cool and they just off-screen him like that? I mean, it sets up why the Sith Lord is so dangerous but still.
    As I said, bad writing, everybody is saying "Cool! Awookie Jedi!" And then a big nothing let down.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    As I said, bad writing, everybody is saying "Cool! Awookie Jedi!" And then a big nothing let down.
    I agree in that I also felt let down by not seeing more with Kelnacca in that episode. But not playing into fan service or expectations doesn't necessarily make it bad writing.(I have other issues with the writing) If this were any other show, this is a character we've barely seen and have no connection with - why would we care? But as a SW fan, we're all, "I wanna see a Wookie Jedi do stuff!" And I feel with SW it's important to know the difference.

At this point, all these shows are fan service. And to offer viewers a Jedi Wookie, and then off him off camera after one scene is bad writing. Too bad it is just one example for this show.

Well, we'll likely see more Kelnacca in the other flashback.

What's kind of funny about the Ki-Adi-Mundi stuff is that when the character was introduced in the Star Wars comics that came out a few months before TPM he is shown to have a family and be a dotting father while also being a Jedi, which of course contradicts a major plot point of the prequels. He also opposes Republic expansion into Cerea despite working for the Republic (Although it turns out part of the expansion was a scheme by Jabba).

When AOTC came out and made it pretty clear Jedi couldn't marry, this was later retconned/swept under the rug during the Clone Wars (In comics depicting the war before the CG series largely retconned them/changed the order of events etc) where it was revealed that he had "special permission" from the Order due to his planet's low birth rate, wasn't "attached" to his family (despite being clearly so in the comic) and his family were killed in the Clone Wars anyway.

And of course in Disney continuity the family never existed in the first place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsEU/...d_to_his_face/
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-24-2024 at 07:38 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth