Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: The Acolyte

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I still have a fan theory that Plagueis is actually Osha/Mae and they picked up the "Midichlorians to create life" thing Sidious mentioned from this. Either that or their Zabrak mother maybe turns out to be Plageuis.

As for TLJ definetly feel that Phasma was wasted. There seemed to be hints that there were plans for the character with her even getting a TLJ tie-in comic and novel but then not much in the actual movie. Then again this the same merchandising that released a character from a deleted scene in the first wave of figures (Constable Zuvio, who presumably was in the same scene Christina Chong got with Rey showing her 'friends' on Jakku).

And I know the Vanity Fair stuff is all poses (Like the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul fight on Tatooine that was never intended for the film) or Luke with R2 in TROS (When R2 was with Poe) but the film missed a cool visual opportunity with the unmasked Phasma (Unless you count her eye).
    I won't lie, either of those theories would be incredibly dissappointing.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Last Jedi.

It's a visually stunning film. I like Rey in it, and I like most of Luke's Story. But I HATE this movie.

1: Holdo her decision to keep Poe in the dark seem stupid. For one the audience already likes Poe from TFA, so it automatically makes us dislike her and there really is no good reason to not let him and the others in on the plan. This could have been fixed either by replacing her with Admiral Ackbar who the audience already had a relationship of trust with and would thus side with him or instead of the stupid the Empire can now track us plot just have a spy in the fleet and Holdo doesn't know who to trust.

2: Phasma was wasted IMO.

3: Rey falling for Kylo. Just NO.

4: Rey is a nobody. One it's anticlimactic to the mystery of her parents built in TFA and two unless she isn't force sensitive than her being a "nobody" means nothing. The Jedi were full of people not named Kenobi or Skywalker. A better example of a "nobody" is Sabine in Ashoka because she doesn't have a strong connection to the Force but is making progress into becoming a Jedi.

5: Canto Bight cool looking place and showing the rich living the high life while the poor suffer also good idea. BUT freeing the Space Horses yet leaving the SLAVE Children? Talk about missing the mark.

6: Luke even thinking about killing his nephew. This guy never gave up on Vader and he definitely should have never given up on Ben. Also, once we sadly lost Carrie killing Luke was a dumb idea. They had a full year to simply remove him fading away and didn't that was idiotic from a real world POV.

7: The Fleet being the Millenium Falcon in the end. At the End of Empire Han is captured and frozen, Luke lost his hand and learned his worst enemy was his father but there was hope and a whole fleet of ships to fight the empire. At the end of TLJ the only ship left is the Falcon. One movie left and now they have no Fleet, No Luke, No Leia (Because we again sadly loss Carrie), and all the big questions like who Snoke is, who is Rey's Parents have been pissed away with no pay off. That's why I'm very charitable when judging TROS because Rian Johnson threw a hand grenade into the middle of the Sequel Trilogy blew everything up left little set up and walked away.

Why do I mention this because I none of my problems with TLJ is about women, diversity or being "Woke". I think Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8 are great additions to Star Wars Lore. But over the last 7 and half years whenever I say I hate TLJ is get a side-eyed look before I can explain why that I never got when I say I HATE the Prequels.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Star Wars Unfortunately has a massive number of Toxic Fans, but also the Media for Clickbait reasons and Lucasfilms for shielding has used that to create a narrative that any hate for made Disney Star Wars which I like most of it is just Toxic Fans.
    None of those criticisms would get you labeled as toxic though. I'm active on here, and several other boards, reddit, facebook, twitter and discord and I haven't seen anyone get labeled toxic for expressing regular criticism.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I won't lie, either of those theories would be incredibly dissappointing.
    Think it might be that or they're at least the source of that knowledge, which is passed down to Plagueis or his master.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    None of those criticisms would get you labeled as toxic though. I'm active on here, and several other boards, reddit, facebook, twitter and discord and I haven't seen anyone get labeled toxic for expressing regular criticism.
    Agreed, although with a caveat; from what I’ve seen, when those particular types of criticisms got brought up for TLJ, the result was more likely to be something like a defender of Kylo *going* racist or sexist than for them to accuse the critics of sexism or racism... but... most of the focus from media on the criticism was (smartly, if cynically) focused wholly on the bigots and assholes rolling out the same criticisms they’d had to quietly abandon when TFA cane out, with TLJ defenders and media members usually hypocritically ignoring when TLJ was the one being bigoted and prejudiced.

The result was I think a skewed perspective of the film’s criticism and divisiveness that took a while to right itself; it took some time for people to notice that both critics and defenders of the film were likely to defend Kelly Marie Tran, or for people to hear John Boyega spit some truth, and in general I think there’s still tension over acknowledging how TLJ began a sexist and toxic romance story between Rey and Kylo, since that might be the ultimate “mea culpa” of the film. More media members and defenders at the time focused on Laura Dern arguing Holdo was a feminist character or on the “Mary Sue” complaints of Rey and the sexism in that trope than ever acknowledged that Rey was being text-book a used to a comical level or that Poe and Finn got retconned into deeply problematic stereotypes.

But that was also longer ago in the “grift cycle” that I think is a bit more apparent and acknowledged separate from most criticism now with The Acolyte; 2017 was a less developed era of culture war bullshit, while now, I think the “ecosystems” of the grifters are recognized enough that someone like Headland can acknowledge more genuine criticism separately, and thus feel safe mocking the griftsphere.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Star Wars Theory, a major Star Wars channel, goes over the recent Leslye Hedland interview. Some interesting criticism. Not about the leads being women, sexuality, etc. But in regards to story structure, existing Star Wars lore, etc. I do advise watching it.

Predictions/Theories: So I don't think I've seen anywhere in the series that where adult Mae or OSHA has used the Force. My guess it that they can't when they are apart. That when they were created the Witch Mother could not create a being with a high midichlorian count as Anakin so they split into two beings. That when they do finally do come together then they will have super force powers. They are going to fight each other sort of symbolism of the yen and yang as two equal parts of one hole and the conflict between them. One is going to kill the other and can end of one of two ways. 1, that it it some type of Highlander type thing were after one is slayed turns in to black smoke like the last episode and is absorbed into the other, or 2. that once the other half is gone they will be completely cut from the force.

Sol is gonna die, he has to, he is the only one left of the Jedi order that has heard the word Sith or seen a red lightsaber. He will most likely be seen as a Rogue Jedi that used the twins to kill his old team for some reason and that Venestra will report to the Senate and the Jedi this. I think Venestra was picked for this series because she had hyperspace visions of the future and we may see one of Tenebrous and Plagueis or Plagueis and Sidious by the vergance on Brendoc trying to mold life out of the force.

Qimir is going to get away, probably alone with the surviving twin most likely reject the light and dark and going their own path. And he will be the founding member of the Knights of Ren and we may just see the Ren saber at some point.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mae's been using the force... she's just not particularly good at it.
    Context is king.

There is a line between retconning and just gaslighting, and I really wish Marvel would stop crossing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Mae's been using the force... she's just not particularly good at it.
    It is rare and small but I concede that she does, so maybe their ability is just greatly diminished apart. I think the "Power of two" is going to come into play at some point in the last episode. The song (which I not a fan of) at the end of ep.7 is there for a reason.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    It is rare and small but I concede that she does, so maybe their ability is just greatly diminished apart. I think the "Power of two" is going to come into play at some point in the last episode. The song (which I not a fan of) at the end of ep.7 is there for a reason.
    Unless the planet in the series' opening scene had really low gravity, Mae's been using The Force since first we met her, when her sister was light years away.

Astonishing Member

My big prediction for tomorrow night is that Qimir & Osha and Sol & Mae will all end up on Brendock, and somehow will Mae die with Osha absorbing the whole Power of 2 (whatever that means) - I'm not super confident that Osha will kill Mae, but that's the way I'm leaning. Sol will definitely die, and Osha, fully powered, will frame him as the dark Jedi that wiped out Jecki, Yord, etc. Osha will then claim to want to be left alone, but in reality she'll be Qimir's new Acolyte (hey, that's the name of the show!).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm