Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: The Acolyte

Today's episode is pretty much the flashback from the Jedi POV...(and yes, they did something pretty bad, although not really 'evil').

....and closes with a R& B/pop song in the end credits. The song's been out for a while but I'm pretty sure this is the only end credits with it.

The Nightsister mist stuff shows up here, can't quite remember if that appeared in Ahsoka but I'm pretty sure it was a big thing in Clone Wars.

Well, that's new..(SW has of course had in-universe music in cantina scenes and the like but I think otherwise this is a first).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-09-2024 at 07:49 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

There's something surreal about seeing Carrie Ann Moss and a Wookie using what is basically a Metal Detector.

Indara was a consummate, professional, and detached Jedi for better or worse. Which contrasted well with Sol. I guess if he's Qui-Gon, she was more of a Mace/Luminara.

"Hyperspace disaster" High Republic Phase 1 reference!

The Coven looks even more shady from an outside perspective. Then again, the Mother using a mind whammy on Torbin is pretty indicative of how they were a lot more dangerous than they looked.

Sol always meant well (heck most of the Jedi did) but he just...felt too much, I guess.

It's kind of funny how history repeats where a passionate Jedi is like "we need to recruit this highly Force Sensitive Child!" and everyone else is like "look at all these red flags" and then when it happens it inevitably goes wrong.

That Mae didn't even know what the Ascendance meant or how they would lead the Coven was also a major red flag.

I guess I'm not surprised the Jedi Council wanted nothing to do with it and felt they'd overstepped, I wonder if it would've been different in an older era. Though I feel like once they found out about the nature of the twins they probably would have wanted it investigated further.

What exactly are the Twins? It seems like they were created from the Force and from a single consciousness because of this "Vergence"...so was the ultimate endgoal to fuse them back into one Force being? What were they really split from?

"Will they let us go home?" Torbin could really only think of one thing. And in his rush to get out of there with the first excuse he could think of, he ended up making everything worse. It wasn't about the girls, it was about what he wanted.

I guess it's nice knowing Osha's mom was willing to let her go but somehow I don't think the Coven would have ever gone along with it.

Okay, so Mae did start the fire, admittedly.

"I had to make a choice" and Sol chose Osha instead of Mae. I mean, he probably could not have saved both, but still.

What was Aniseya trying to do? Ghost Mae out of there? Use her Nightsister powers to quell the conflict?

Indara with the unintentional highest kill count. Like, I doubt she expected that to happen but were they putting their literal essences in Kelnacca and booting them killed them all?

Is Koril dead? She kind of faded out and we didn't see her among the Coven who died after Indara rejected them from Kelanaca.

Ultimate Member

I'm kinda surprised.

Am I the only one who thinks this flashback actually makes the Jedi look better?

I mean, they were far from perfect, but the mind whammy is why Torbin did what he did, and Sol thought he was protecting Mae

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm kinda surprised.

Am I the only one who thinks this flashback actually makes the Jedi look better?

I mean, they were far from perfect, but the mind whammy is why Torbin did what he did, and Sol thought he was protecting Mae
    I think they did a pretty solid job of making the massacre (such as it was) seem outside the reasonable expectations of what should have happened when the Jedi intervened. While I'm often fine with "we don't need to know what the MacGuffin really was to understand the story," I think we really need to know what the ceremony was going to do (or at least what they intended it do do) to understand why the witches pushed so far.

I think Koril is still alive (at least as of 16 years ago) - someone has to help rescue Mae.

The split-soul thing (or whatever we want to call it) is VERY suggestive. My big theory right now is Qimir recruited Mae to absorb Osha's essence and reunite their soul, but now he's changing tactics and he's going to get Osha to absorb Mae. Which, if I'm right, means we're headed to Brendock for the finale so that Qimir can tap the Vergence for power. Qimir's original instruction to Mae was to kill a Jedi without using a weapon - what if the last task was to be absorbing her sister (killing her w/o a weapon)?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I'm kinda surprised.

not really because the jedi felt more like instigators. Sol's good intentions screwed everyone over.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-10-2024 at 07:11 AM.

I'm kinda surprised.

I think it depends on how badly you think they came across in the first flashback. And a LOT of people waaaay overreacted to that first flashback.

I think that ultimately, both sides acted out of fear for the twins, both sides wanting the best for them (and themselves) but crossed the line because they were fearful of the other - with both Sol and Koril the most extreme examples, using manipulation to have their way. (Indara was mostly in the middle as the voice of reason who failed to make anyone see reason)

And yes, I chuckled seeing Jedi using metal detectors. I mean they could've "scif-fied it up" or something.

Not the first time Star Wars has mocked up "real world" stuff without hiding it too much, even when the budgets got better.

The lightsaber is made of a camera and calculator bits, The Jedi comlink from TPM has parts from a razer, Anakin has a scoop bat in his room, some droids use microphones for mouths and of course ice cream maker guy on Cloud City.

One of my favorites is that the Death Star surface is basically kitbashed stuff from tons of world war 2 model kits.

Kind of helps with the whole 'used universe' aesthetic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's something surreal about seeing Carrie Ann Moss and a Wookie using what is basically a Metal Detector.

Indara was a consummate, professional, and detached Jedi for better or worse. Which contrasted well with Sol. I guess if he's Qui-Gon, she was more of a Mace/Luminara.

"Hyperspace disaster" High Republic Phase 1 reference!

The Coven looks even more shady from an outside perspective. Then again, the Mother using a mind whammy on Torbin is pretty indicative of how they were a lot more dangerous than they looked.

Sol always meant well (heck most of the Jedi did) but he just...felt too much, I guess.

It's kind of funny how history repeats where a passionate Jedi is like "we need to recruit this highly Force Sensitive Child!" and everyone else is like "look at all these red flags" and then when it happens it inevitably goes wrong.

That Mae didn't even know what the Ascendance meant or how they would lead the Coven was also a major red flag.

I guess I'm not surprised the Jedi Council wanted nothing to do with it and felt they'd overstepped, I wonder if it would've been different in an older era. Though I feel like once they found out about the nature of the twins they probably would have wanted it investigated further.

What exactly are the Twins? It seems like they were created from the Force and from a single consciousness because of this "Vergence"...so was the ultimate endgoal to fuse them back into one Force being? What were they really split from?

"Will they let us go home?" Torbin could really only think of one thing. And in his rush to get out of there with the first excuse he could think of, he ended up making everything worse. It wasn't about the girls, it was about what he wanted.

I guess it's nice knowing Osha's mom was willing to let her go but somehow I don't think the Coven would have ever gone along with it.

Okay, so Mae did start the fire, admittedly.

"I had to make a choice" and Sol chose Osha instead of Mae. I mean, he probably could not have saved both, but still.

What was Aniseya trying to do? Ghost Mae out of there? Use her Nightsister powers to quell the conflict?

Indara with the unintentional highest kill count. Like, I doubt she expected that to happen but were they putting their literal essences in Kelnacca and booting them killed them all?

Is Koril dead? She kind of faded out and we didn't see her among the Coven who died after Indara rejected them from Kelanaca.
    I kind of suspected psychic backlash with their gestalt was what killed them.
    Three arrows are stronger then one, but you're also putting your all eggs in one basket.
    It was the most "oops" way of committing a massacre.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-10-2024 at 08:59 AM.
    Context is king.

There is a line between retconning and just gaslighting, and I really wish Marvel would stop crossing it.

I'm kinda surprised.

No, Tobin did what he did because he lacked emotional control and wanted, desperately, to go home. That doesn't excuse Sol from striking first and killing Mother Aniseya.

I am surprised that the Jedi were around for so long. All I have seen is ineptitude in just about every movie/show. Every sith/witch/uber-force-user has been able to get around under their noses at will. Not to mention all the political infighting and just ineptness by a lot of the Jedis. Not to mention Sol's and Qui-Gon's fascination with children. Luke was right...The Jedi's let the Sith Take over the Galaxy and helped created Vader.

450617654_10232094563776919_8514649038581428459_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I am surprised that the Jedi were around for so long. All I have seen is ineptitude in just about every movie/show. Every sith/witch/uber-force-user has been able to get around under their noses at will. Not to mention all the political infighting and just ineptness by a lot of the Jedis. Not to mention Sol's and Qui-Gon's fascination with children. Luke was right...The Jedi's let the Sith Take over the Galaxy and helped created Vader.
    The Jedi will only be perfect during any period of time that's not shown. We'll never see the Jedi depicted on film as all-powerful, all-perfect law enforcers. Aside from cultural resistance to glorifying authority, there's also no drama if they're always perfect.

Even not on film they're far from morally perfect.

KOTOR's twist for example.

Also the KOTOR comic likewise had the whole messed up Jedi Covenant. Should note that it's written by John Jackson Miller who still does the occasional SW novel for Disney's canon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-10-2024 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No, Tobin did what he did because he lacked emotional control and wanted, desperately, to go home. That doesn't excuse Sol from striking first and killing Mother Aniseya.
    In fairness to Sol he had no idea what Aniseya was really doing when she started poofing. I guess maybe if he didn't ready any hostile intent he shouldn't have reacted but not knowing enough he probably immediately saw it as some kind of attack or hostile move.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Jedi will only be perfect during any period of time that's not shown. We'll never see the Jedi depicted on film as all-powerful, all-perfect law enforcers. Aside from cultural resistance to glorifying authority, there's also no drama if they're always perfect.
    There's the High Republic novels/comics more or less.

Extraordinary Member

My sense is Sol stabbed the mother because her ghost vapor was heading towards Mae.

Glad there is just one more episode. And that they are short.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!