Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Acolyte

Astonishing Member

Can't wait for episode 3. Should break a lot of ratings record!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He wasn't "fine" though - he put himself into a meditative state and didn't talk to anyone for years. (I don't recall the number, but it likely was soon enough after whatever happened to the twins' family) Taking his own life also wasn't on the table until Mae offered it as a way to atone and gain her forgiveness. Then there's the fact that he had been "waiting" for her. He might've either foresaw this happening or felt so guilty he waited for her to determine his fate - that it wasn't up to him to take his own life since he felt he had a debt to pay her. The part that seems odd to me was him not reacting to her the first time she showed up. I guess he was just too deep in his trance.

Given what we know so far, I can buy it. Whether or not it holds up after we find out the whole story... we'll see.
    True.

This is definitely a wait and see situation.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That just makes no sense for a Jedi. He is fine, then 20 years later he sees her and kills himself, because reasons. Sounds more like a forced plot than organic writing.
    He wasn't fine, from what we saw he pretty much completely cut himself off from the world which is a pretty big sign of serious depression. Other Jedi were thinking it was him seeking some higher form of being and normalized his behavior but it was a cry for help. I don't think it could be more organic or real as we often miss the signs in real life and only connect the dots after the fact.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I didn't like this episode.

The climax didn't work for me at all.

I feel like the twins using the Force to freeze a living creature was the first major red flag.

So the Coven feels like a mix between the Night Sisters and the Path from Phase 2 of the High Republic, people who worship the Dark Side and seek a different path to the Force than the Jedi and are dismissive of them. I don't think the were Sith Cultists per se but it does once again ponder the question of whether people who practice the Dark Side are automatically evil or just seeing a different but valid path from the Light...that obviously gets perverted by the Sith.

It's kind of funny that Mae was the more calm and dutiful twin compared to Osha seeing how Mae is as an assassin and Osha is as an adult. Then again, as soon as Osha acts out of line, she goes full ham.

One mom treated them like kids and was as loving as any mom, while the other mom was serious and focused on them fulfilling their purpose within the coven. Yet I feel their momma ultimately just wanted what was best for both girls and truly loved them as a mother.

Ah, now Torbin looks as he should and we're not trying way too hard to make him look older. He was also Indara's Padawan.

It's kind of ironic that this all came about because Osha wanted to be a Jedi knowing she would end up washing out anyways. But she had enough of being a twin and living in a secluded enclave for...nebulous reasons, and jumped at the chance to meet more kids like her. It's not surprising she went in that direction and even if she left the Order she still got to explore the Galaxy, so I guess she got what she wanted anyways.

The Jedi have lightsabers, what does the Coven have? Sticks? Way better sell.

"The girls don't have a father" - That sounded suspicious enough to tell me there is definitely more going on with the girls' birth, especially if the Momma "created" them in such a way that the Jedi would be concerned. Were they meant to be some kind of...Dark Side conduits? Which also made it necessary to keep them together otherwise they wouldn't be as powerful as they should have been?

I think we usually go through a child just demonstrating their Force Sensitive but I guess you have to test their blood for their midichlorian level and also see if they have enough Force Sensitivity to tell a picture without even seeing it.

Wow, Mae really jumped straight to murder. I don't know if she was serious or if she knew how much damage the fire could cause. Unless the big fire was caused by the Jedi fighting against the Coven.

So...the Jedi probably killed the Coven. I really doubt a fire would have instantly killed so many people like that. So, what, did they think they were saving Mae and Osha by preemptively taking them out? Would the Coven not give either girls up and picked a fight? Did Mae blame Osha because she brought the Jedi to them?

Taking a Padawan out of guilt has never ended well.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

From your description doesn’t exactly sound like this episode ‘kills Star Wars forever’ as ‘some people’ have said. Sounds basically like the twins just got Anakined into existence.

Probably will just see all of it when I pick up Disney Plus again down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Can't wait for episode 3. Should break a lot of ratings record!
    I'm curious why do people care about this? Of course, a Network or Streaming service will brag if a show does well but why do others care?

I liked a lot of shows which had terribles ratings when compared to other shows like anything made by the WB/CW when ratings compared to NBC, CBS, ABC, or even Fox. & some were constantly on the bubble of being cancelled like Fringe. As long as my show continued, I didn't care how high or low ratings were it wasn't like I was getting a piece of the ad money.

spoilers:
    Good look at Osha's childhood but mostly told us what we already knew. It did set up a few hints about what actually happened. Im guessing we'll see Mae's side of the story next episode.

Osha's mother reminded me of the Path of the Open Hand from phase 2 of the high republic.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-12-2024 at 04:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Well, at least the Jedi weren't confirmed as kidnappers/child stealers. I consider that a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Well, at least the Jedi weren't confirmed as kidnappers/child stealers. I consider that a step up.
    Ehhhhh. They have a sketchy vibe throughout the episode.

spoilers:
    and the pile of dead witches is sus
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Before this episode, the usual suspects were screaming how this episode will "kill Star Wars forever".

I think the sight of an "all-female witch coven with children created by two women" was supposed to be some super controversial thing.

That was never going to happen considering "The Night Sisters" are already a cannon thing in Star Wars. Not to mention we already know the force and magic in Star Wars can be used for all manner of things....some considered "unnatural".

That's the problem when "tourists" come into the geek/nerd space, they come in ill-informed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ehhhhh. They have a sketchy vibe throughout the episode.

spoilers:
    and the pile of dead witches is sus
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, the Jedi were very "grey" in this episode.

spoilers:
    they were already spying on the kids and the witches before confronting them, they clearly had a hidden agenda
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Before this episode, the usual suspects were screaming how this episode will "kill Star Wars forever".

I think the sight of an "all-female witch coven with children created by two women" was supposed to be some super controversial thing.

That was never going to happen considering "The Night Sisters" are already a cannon thing in Star Wars. Not to mention we already know the force and magic in Star Wars can be used for all manner of things....some considered "unnatural".

That's the problem when "tourists" come into the geek/nerd space, they come in ill-informed.
    Lol of course they were wrong. They continue to listen to grifters who knows they don't use critical thinking and will just go along with whatever suits they're preconceived biases. Nothing in this episode "breaks lore" or anything.

Guessing that the twins being created somehow might tie into Palpatine's "Tragedy of Darth Plagueis" where he states that he created life by using the midichlorians. (Also implying that Anakin was made that way).

Perhaps he learned it from Mae (or Osha?) somehow?

Wonder if Koril is from Dathomir as she's a Zabrak and this is kind of her own offshoot.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I also think the fact the twins are fraternal when young but identical in the present is a plot point