Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You have to remember this was way before movies like the Lord of the Rings. This was many people's first exposure to big screen epic fantasy. Over the years, epics got bigger and bigger so it's easy to see why one of the earlier ones wouldn't hold up so well if this is your first exposure to it.
    I get it, believe me. I guess I was just hoping that I would be captivated by the movie because I liked the series teaser trailer so much.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

It was generally considered underwhelming when it was first released. Everyone knew George Lucas' name was attached and hoped it would be Star Wars for fantasy films, and though it tried, it fell short for most people. I watched it with my family it when it first came came out for rental on VHS, and it just felt underpowered and a bit disappointing. What has happened, at least for me, but also I think for many other people, is that once that expectation has worn off and you watch it with reduced expectations it actually has a bunch of things going for it: Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley have great chemistry, their characters are fun, the swordfights are fast and have good energy, and I think the fact that it doesn't lapse into overgrown set-pieces and CGI-heavy action now gives it a kind of freshness - I think its action scenes are nice and lean compared to today's blockbusters.

I enjoy re-watching the film today far more than I did the first time around, and I think many feel that way.

Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley have great chemistry
    They really do. Those two and the amazing soundtrack are clearly the highlights of the movie for me.

This looks fantastic.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    ‘Willow’ EP, Warwick Davis Say Val Kilmer Will “Be a Part” of Disney+ Series: “Madmartigan Lives On”
    https://news.yahoo.com/willow-ep-war...053515791.html
    Oh wow even better news.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It was generally considered underwhelming when it was first released. Everyone knew George Lucas' name was attached and hoped it would be Star Wars for fantasy films, and though it tried, it fell short for most people. I watched it with my family it when it first came came out for rental on VHS, and it just felt underpowered and a bit disappointing. What has happened, at least for me, but also I think for many other people, is that once that expectation has worn off and you watch it with reduced expectations it actually has a bunch of things going for it: Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley have great chemistry, their characters are fun, the swordfights are fast and have good energy, and I think the fact that it doesn't lapse into overgrown set-pieces and CGI-heavy action now gives it a kind of freshness - I think its action scenes are nice and lean compared to today's blockbusters.

I enjoy re-watching the film today far more than I did the first time around, and I think many feel that way.
    Val and Joanne were actually married for a few years after meeting on Willow.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm way late but finally watched this trailer yesterday.
    I'm on board. Wish the film had had a follow-up back in the 80s/early 90s. I don't even know what it did financially but I assume it wasn't strong enough to warrant a sequel then. Shame. I have fond memories of it even though I've not re-watched the film since the 90s.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime