Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Vixen: NYC on Webtoon

First three episodes are up, five additional behind the paywall on the app: https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-he...?title_no=4169

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    First three episodes are up, five additional behind the paywall on the app: https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-he...?title_no=4169
    Thanks so much for this! I was on the website about 2 hours ago, looking for this Vixen webtoon but I didn't see it. The only thing I saw on there at the time that was DC-related was that Batman family stuff.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Something about these webtoons just strips all of the "coolness" away from these characters for me. But it looks enjoyable for children.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Thanks so much for this! I was on the website about 2 hours ago, looking for this Vixen webtoon but I didn't see it. The only thing I saw on there at the time that was DC-related was that Batman family stuff.
    New stuff drops 9 PM EST on webtoon.

Yikes, that's everything I feared about this project when it was announced. Americanized toned-down teenage Vixen. And ready to join the Teen Titans, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yikes, that's everything I feared about this project when it was announced. Americanized toned-down teenage Vixen. And ready to join the Teen Titans, it seems.
    Thought it was fun for what it was.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-27-2022 at 12:01 PM.

I love it so far.

She is Americanized but I get the feeling the author is drawing from their own experience to write these stories which I don't mind. It gives the stories a sense of authenticity.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Also, it's nice to see Karen Beecher. She barely gets any spotlight these days.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

New stuff drops 9 PM EST on webtoon.
    Ok, thanks.

Ah so it is not building onto the previous Vixen cartoon but rather starting over as its own thing

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

This webcomic is fun, she is americanized but she's from a fictional country so it's not a big deal. She just seems more like an american diasporan than a fresh off the boat immigrant.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    This webcomic is fun, she is americanized but she's from a fictional country so it's not a big deal. She just seems more like an american diasporan than a fresh off the boat immigrant.
    I'm so used to mature, adult, Mari McCabe that it feels weird reading teenage, rookie, Mari Jiwe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm so used to mature, adult, Mari McCabe that it feels weird reading teenage, rookie, Mari Jiwe.
    Yeah, I'm trying to read this webtoon with an open mind (aside from the removal of Zambesi), but I agree with you, I'm also used to a mature Mari and not a character who needs to be mentored and rescued and fangasms over Batman.

I disagree, because it's a huge deal to take one of the very few African characters in comic books and suddenly make her American for some reason only the author of the webtoon knows. This webtoon could still have been told without removing Zambesi from Mari's lore, different universe or not.

Krypton is a fictional planet, but imagine a Webtoon where Kal-El was suddenly from Mars and Krypton was removed from his backstory/lore.

Imagine if some writer came along and arbitrarily removed the fictional country of Wakanda from Black Panther's lore and said that T'Challa was born in Kentucky instead.

Now, I have no idea if DC approved this change for the webtoon, or if the writer was able to make this change on her own without editorial knowing or caring enough to notice, or if the writer did no research on Mari's place of birth, but as a huge fan of Vixen, I DO NOT like this change at all.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 06-25-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I disagree, because it's a huge deal to take one of the very few African characters in comic books and suddenly make her American for some reason only the author of the webtoon knows. This webtoon could still have been told without removing Zambesi from Mari's lore, different universe or not.

Krypton is a fictional planet, but imagine a Webtoon where Kal-El was suddenly from Mars and Krypton was removed from his backstory/lore.

Imagine if some writer came along and arbitrarily removed the fictional city of Wakanda from Black Panther's lore and said that T'Challa was born in Kentucky instead.

Now, I have no idea if DC approved this change for the webtoon, or if the writer was able to make this change on her own without editorial knowing or caring enough to notice, or if the writer did no research on Mari's place of birth, but as a huge fan of Vixen, I DO NOT like this change at all.
    But she is not just American now, she is Ghanaian American and 1st generation African immigrants are a part of African representation. Wakanda is also a fictional city but it has more relevance to Marvel lore than Zambesi.

The author didn't erase her being African she just took the real-world mythology/culture(Anansi) that was previously given to a fictional country and gave it to the real culture it belongs to in-story (Ashanti people).
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

But she is not just American now, she is Ghanaian American and 1st generation African immigrants are a part of African representation. Wakanda is also a fictional city but it has more relevance to Marvel lore than Zambesi.

The author didn't erase her being African she just took the real-world mythology/culture(Anansi) that was previously given to a fictional country and gave it to the real culture it belongs to in-story (Ashanti people).
    I may be misunderstanding what is written in that webtoon, but it seems like Mari was born in the United States (grew up in the U.S. for 18 years and is 18 years old now and in college) and her EXTENDED family is in Ghana (and unfortunately not in Zambesi).

Also, I personally don't think a fictional location's lesser "relevance" to its fictional universe should have any bearing on it being erased from a character's lore. Just because Wakanda is used more than Zambesi does not mean Zambesi should be erased from Vixen's lore and it's "no big deal." if anything, DC needs to explore Zambesi and use it more, not less and certainly not erase it from existence because it's rarely used or referenced.

Also, the author removing Zambesi and just replacing it with Ghana goes against any of Vixen's lore that has come before in ANY media, as far as I know. Personally, I feel that Vixen's creators (Gerry Conway and Bob Oksner) had her come from Zambesi and not Ghana for a reason, and I don't think any writer should be able to come along and just change that to their whim.

In the regular comics, Vixen's ancestors came from Ghana, then at some point her family moved/was in Zambesi and that's where Mari was born. Again, I see no reason why any of that had to be changed for the webtoon.

You said "The author didn't erase her being African." Unless I missed something, I have no indication that in this webtoon, Mari was born in Africa. All I can tell is that she has extended family in Ghana, but that's it.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 06-21-2022 at 11:40 AM.