Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Vixen: NYC on Webtoon

First three episodes are up, five additional behind the paywall on the app: https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-he...?title_no=4169

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    First three episodes are up, five additional behind the paywall on the app: https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-he...?title_no=4169
    Thanks so much for this! I was on the website about 2 hours ago, looking for this Vixen webtoon but I didn't see it. The only thing I saw on there at the time that was DC-related was that Batman family stuff.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Something about these webtoons just strips all of the "coolness" away from these characters for me. But it looks enjoyable for children.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Thanks so much for this! I was on the website about 2 hours ago, looking for this Vixen webtoon but I didn't see it. The only thing I saw on there at the time that was DC-related was that Batman family stuff.
    New stuff drops 9 PM EST on webtoon.

Yikes, that's everything I feared about this project when it was announced. Americanized toned-down teenage Vixen. And ready to join the Teen Titans, it seems.

New stuff drops 9 PM EST on webtoon.
    Ok, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yikes, that's everything I feared about this project when it was announced. Americanized toned-down teenage Vixen. And ready to join the Teen Titans, it seems.
    Thought it was fun for what it was.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-27-2022 at 12:01 PM.

I love it so far.

She is Americanized but I get the feeling the author is drawing from their own experience to write these stories which I don't mind. It gives the stories a sense of authenticity.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Also, it's nice to see Karen Beecher. She barely gets any spotlight these days.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

I've only read the first issue and it was nice. They artwork is pretty good and I like that we get to see Mari's family.

Odd thing is I like reading the comments a lot on this. It's clear they are gathering interest with Vixen from people who don't even read DC, and some people said they can even relate to a character from Ghana moving to America. It's something so enjoyable to see people talk positively about Mari.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Odd thing is I like reading the comments a lot on this. It's clear they are gathering interest with Vixen from people who don't even read DC, and some people said they can even relate to a character from Ghana moving to America. It's something so enjoyable to see people talk positively about Mari.
    Just reinforces how smart DC is to this kind of stuff for properties that are not Batman - should've done this kind of stuff a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I love it so far.

She is Americanized but I get the feeling the author is drawing from their own experience to write these stories which I don't mind. It gives the stories a sense of authenticity.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Also, it's nice to see Karen Beecher. She barely gets any spotlight these days.
    I feel if writers feel the need to do this, they should do this with their own original characters instead of turning already existing characters into something they never were. So far from what I have read, Mari has zero connection to Zambesi, which to me is a huge part of her character, even though Zambesi has never really been fleshed out. But it is still part of who she is as a character. And taking that away from her character doesn't seem right to me at all. To me, it would be like saying Kal-El never came from Krypton, he came from some other planet and was raised on Earth somewhere that wasn't Kansas.

Plus I felt the change was completely unnecessary because as far as I know, there are so very few African characters in Big 2 comics. So the writer took one of the very few African characters we have and had her grow up in America for all 18 years of her life for God only knows why.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-27-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I feel if writers feel the need to do this, they should do this with their own original characters instead of turning already existing characters into something they never were. So far from what I have read, Mari has zero connection to Zambesi, which to me is a huge part of her character, even though Zambesi has never really been fleshed out. But it is still part of who she is as a character. And taking that away from her character doesn't seem right to me at all. To me, it would be like saying Kal-El never came from Krypton, he came from some other planet and was raised on Earth somewhere that wasn't Kansas.

Plus I felt the change was completely unnecessary because as far as I know, there are so very few African characters in Big 2 comics. So the writer took one of the very few African characters we have and had her grow up in America for all 18 years of her life for God only knows why.
    Eh, this is an adaptation that is not in continuity and is meant to appeal to a very different audience than the one that reads monthly comics - complaining about changes done for the webtoon is akin to complaining about changes done in the YA OGNs DC puts out - it's not meant to be the purest distillation of the character.

Eh, this is an adaptation that is not in continuity and is meant to appeal to a very different audience than the one that reads monthly comics - complaining about changes done for the webtoon is akin to complaining about changes done in the YA OGNs DC puts out - it's not meant to be the purest distillation of the character.
    If the purpose of this type of approach to certain characters is to draw them into collecting regular comics of the characters or regular appearances of certain characters in current DC comics, then those people might be confused by the different origin stories and wonder why Mari is from Zambesi in the regular DC Comics but has no connection to Zambesi whatsoever in this adaptation. Especially when there have been sort of recent media adaptations (the Vixen web series and "Legends of Tomorrow") where Zambesi was a huge part of Vixen's story.

Thoughts:

- They've really changed up Mari's origin. Both of her parents are alive, Zambesi doesn't exist, she actually has a bunch of family in Ghana, and she's starting out as an 18-year old. I'm actually kind of surprised they're still using General Maksai.

- Why is Mari hanging out with the Teen Titans? Like, okay, Beast Boy...and I like seeing Karen, but it feels kind of random. Is Raven going to this college too? Then again Mari's never had a consistent supporting cast.

- I know this is just the very beginning of her story, but I hope Mari ends up donning a costume at some point.

- Mari's first modeling job...is a hand model for yogurt. Well, you always have to start somewhere.

- Bruce looks so uncomfortable in that promo pic.

- Random Batman appearance is random. Actually, is this in-canon with Wayne Family Adventures? The Batsuit looks the same.

- That's Deadshot? Like...what? I know he has a sniper rifle at the end but in what way is that actually Deadshot? He doesn't have the costume, he looks more like black Kraven than Deadshot, and he's not really acting like Floyd Lawton. That guy could better pass for Bronze Tiger.

Ah so it is not building onto the previous Vixen cartoon but rather starting over as its own thing