Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If the purpose of this type of approach to certain characters is to draw them into collecting regular comics of the characters or regular appearances of certain characters in current DC comics, then those people might be confused by the different origin stories and wonder why Mari is from Zambesi in the regular DC Comics but has no connection to Zambesi whatsoever in this adaptation. Especially when there have been sort of recent media adaptations (the Vixen web series and "Legends of Tomorrow") where Zambesi was a huge part of Vixen's story.
    They're not gonna start reading monthly comic. At least not most of them. This is a wholly different group of readers who reads from the convenience of a smartphone, who can choose to pay or wait for a free read. That's already so much more convenient than preordering from LCS or even Midtown, even more than Comixology where you do have to pay. Only a select few will actually make the leap to comics. Kinda like TV series watcher.

It's best to do this, do something different that actually fit this audience and environment, rather than asking them to jump into a wholly different medium and different method of following stories, rather than forcing it into the mainline comics where the cuteness doesn't fit the character. (side-eyeing Batgirl of Burnside and DC You Starfire)

By the way, some of the comments gave an idea. Bruce is only visiting, so if they want to use Batman as a series regular, they can use Jace, who's actually in NYC. If they want to follow that.

---

Themysciran Yogurt! Cute

---

It's kinda funny that Beast Boy is framed as the mystery weirdo guy and not because he's glowing green. Superheroes are not uncommon, but still, Mari has no reaction to his looks the way she did to Batman, so maybe that's just for the readers. Comments wonder if he's suspecting her while also planning to get her to join Titans. Since in this, they're the same age.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-28-2022 at 04:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

If the purpose of this type of approach to certain characters is to draw them into collecting regular comics of the characters or regular appearances of certain characters in current DC comics, then those people might be confused by the different origin stories and wonder why Mari is from Zambesi in the regular DC Comics but has no connection to Zambesi whatsoever in this adaptation. Especially when there have been sort of recent media adaptations (the Vixen web series and "Legends of Tomorrow") where Zambesi was a huge part of Vixen's story.
    What books does Vixen have???

As with movies and tv shows-this type of stuff can find usage for folks like Vixen, Karen, Cyborg and so on UNLIKE the comics that act like they don't exist. Because the comic side panders to a group that will scream these guys are killing comics or don't deserve to be in comics or are background fodder or stuck as props in badly done books.

How confused are folks going to be when we have a current Spider-Man named Peter pretty much pretending to be Miles Morales in live action movies?

Static is on his 4th origin-1993, Static Shock, Young Justice and Vita series.

Do we even need to discuss Superman??? Every single Marvel movie that does not reflect the original origins?

I just view the Webtoons as equivalent to the YA books, which is what they kinda are. Long as they’re creating awareness of Vixen amongst a new audience then I’m content with them doing what they want with the character.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just view the Webtoons as equivalent to the YA books, which is what they kinda are. Long as they’re creating awareness of Vixen amongst a new audience then I’m content with them doing what they want with the character.
    That is definitely a very YA Deadshot .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Seconded.

Also this is an AU, it's not pretending to be definitive canon and it's very light hearted and playful in tone even if serious topics are touched upon. Hence why I give it more leeway but I understand where some fans are coming from in wanting Vixen to maintain her African roots.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Nothing they did in this would warrant a different character. It's still very true to Vixen. She still has ties to Africa, her growing up in America doesn't change who she is.
    I might remember it wrong, but didn't the comicbook version of Vixen also immigrate to the US at a pretty young age?

This webcomic is fun, she is americanized but she's from a fictional country so it's not a big deal. She just seems more like an american diasporan than a fresh off the boat immigrant.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    This webcomic is fun, she is americanized but she's from a fictional country so it's not a big deal. She just seems more like an american diasporan than a fresh off the boat immigrant.
    I'm so used to mature, adult, Mari McCabe that it feels weird reading teenage, rookie, Mari Jiwe.

I disagree, because it's a huge deal to take one of the very few African characters in comic books and suddenly make her American for some reason only the author of the webtoon knows. This webtoon could still have been told without removing Zambesi from Mari's lore, different universe or not.

Krypton is a fictional planet, but imagine a Webtoon where Kal-El was suddenly from Mars and Krypton was removed from his backstory/lore.

Imagine if some writer came along and arbitrarily removed the fictional country of Wakanda from Black Panther's lore and said that T'Challa was born in Kentucky instead.

Now, I have no idea if DC approved this change for the webtoon, or if the writer was able to make this change on her own without editorial knowing or caring enough to notice, or if the writer did no research on Mari's place of birth, but as a huge fan of Vixen, I DO NOT like this change at all.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 06-25-2022 at 10:20 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm so used to mature, adult, Mari McCabe that it feels weird reading teenage, rookie, Mari Jiwe.
    Yeah, I'm trying to read this webtoon with an open mind (aside from the removal of Zambesi), but I agree with you, I'm also used to a mature Mari and not a character who needs to be mentored and rescued and fangasms over Batman.

I disagree, because it's a huge deal to take one of the very few African characters in comic books and suddenly make her American for some reason only the author of the webtoon knows. This webtoon could still have been told without removing Zambesi from Mari's lore, different universe or not.

Krypton is a fictional planet, but imagine a Webtoon where Kal-El was suddenly from Mars and Krypton was removed from his backstory/lore.

Imagine if some writer came along and arbitrarily removed the fictional city of Wakanda from Black Panther's lore and said that T'Challa was born in Kentucky instead.

Now, I have no idea if DC approved this change for the webtoon, or if the writer was able to make this change on her own without editorial knowing or caring enough to notice, or if the writer did no research on Mari's place of birth, but as a huge fan of Vixen, I DO NOT like this change at all.
    But she is not just American now, she is Ghanaian American and 1st generation African immigrants are a part of African representation. Wakanda is also a fictional city but it has more relevance to Marvel lore than Zambesi.

The author didn't erase her being African she just took the real-world mythology/culture(Anansi) that was previously given to a fictional country and gave it to the real culture it belongs to in-story (Ashanti people).

But she is not just American now, she is Ghanaian American and 1st generation African immigrants are a part of African representation. Wakanda is also a fictional city but it has more relevance to Marvel lore than Zambesi.

The author didn't erase her being African she just took the real-world mythology/culture(Anansi) that was previously given to a fictional country and gave it to the real culture it belongs to in-story (Ashanti people).
    I may be misunderstanding what is written in that webtoon, but it seems like Mari was born in the United States (grew up in the U.S. for 18 years and is 18 years old now and in college) and her EXTENDED family is in Ghana (and unfortunately not in Zambesi).

Also, I personally don't think a fictional location's lesser "relevance" to its fictional universe should have any bearing on it being erased from a character's lore. Just because Wakanda is used more than Zambesi does not mean Zambesi should be erased from Vixen's lore and it's "no big deal." if anything, DC needs to explore Zambesi and use it more, not less and certainly not erase it from existence because it's rarely used or referenced.

Also, the author removing Zambesi and just replacing it with Ghana goes against any of Vixen's lore that has come before in ANY media, as far as I know. Personally, I feel that Vixen's creators (Gerry Conway and Bob Oksner) had her come from Zambesi and not Ghana for a reason, and I don't think any writer should be able to come along and just change that to their whim.

In the regular comics, Vixen's ancestors came from Ghana, then at some point her family moved/was in Zambesi and that's where Mari was born. Again, I see no reason why any of that had to be changed for the webtoon.

You said "The author didn't erase her being African." Unless I missed something, I have no indication that in this webtoon, Mari was born in Africa. All I can tell is that she has extended family in Ghana, but that's it.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 06-21-2022 at 11:40 AM.

I may be misunderstanding what is written in that webtoon, but it seems like Mari was born in the United States (grew up in the U.S. for 18 years and is 18 years old now and in college) and her EXTENDED family is in Ghana (and unfortunately not in Zambesi).

Also, I personally don't think a fictional location's lesser "relevance" to its fictional universe should have any bearing on it being erased from a character's lore. Just because Wakanda is used more than Zambesi does not mean Zambesi should be erased from Vixen's lore and it's "no big deal." if anything, DC needs to explore Zambesi and use it more, not less and certainly not erase it from existence because it's rarely used or referenced.

Also, the author removing Zambesi and just replacing it with Ghana goes against any of Vixen's lore that has come before in ANY media, as far as I know. Personally, I feel that Vixen's creators (Gerry Conway and Bob Oksner) had her come from Zambesi and not Ghana for a reason, and I don't think any writer should be able to come along and just change that to their whim.

In the regular comics, Vixen's ancestors came from Ghana, then at some point her family moved/was in Zambesi and that's where Mari was born. Again, I see no reason why any of that had to be changed for the webtoon.

You said "The author didn't erase her being African." Unless I missed something, I have no indication that in this webtoon, Mari was born in Africa. All I can tell is that she has extended family in Ghana, but that's it.
    So she's still Ghanaian American lol? Being born and raised outside of Africa does not make her less African or erase her from being African it just makes her a diasporan. If that was the case well then bye Paul Pogba, Giannis, and Idris Elba lol

The entire intro panel in the first chapter is her family history, her family is Ashanti and the necklace is passed from generation to generation. Her Nana is Ghanaian.

Regardless of the author's reasons for making her from Zambesi. Making a character who isn't just loosely based on Ghanaian mythology, but name drops a Ghanaian God and says their power comes from them just to give it to a fictionalized African country is a bit hmmm. Especially when that character ends up being one of DC's most popular black heroes.

Zambesi's lore rips off so much of Ashanti culture this retcon isn't too far off.

Some of ya'll be complaining about the wrong things...

Whether Zambesi stayed in her origin story or not as long as she's African everything should be fine, she will always be Americanized b/c that's where Mari lives and that's who have written her.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-24-2022 at 01:26 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

One thing I like about this webcomic is the pacing. Nothing feels too fast or slow

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Some of ya'll be complaining about the wrong things...

Whether Zambesi stayed in her origin story or not as long as she's African everything should be fine, she will always be Americanized b/c that's where Mari lives and that's who have written her.
    It's so jarring to see people act like her being born and raised in America makes her less African. Her character was still raised by Ghanaians and has connections to Ghana.

I have never seen Africans born outside of Africa as less African and I'm not about to start applying that logic to comic characters. Especially when the webtoon does touch on topics relevant to Africa; colonialism, the pressure of taking care of an entire family/village, Christianity vs traditional African beliefs, older Africans acting like younger ones don't deserve what they have...